VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (comparison test)--C/D June 1990

8K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  andlf 
#1 ·

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (VarianceVQ)

Quote, originally posted by VarianceVQ »
Wow, I had no idea the Beretta was that inexpensive.

It should have been. It was a miserable piece of a car. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif I have this issue of C&D and I remember reading this. I had just graduated HS and was wondering what veh was in my future.

#8 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (comparison test)--C/D June 1990 (TurboMinivan)

Swift GT for me, please. Obviously next to the other cars, it's going to be a penalty box, but with such lightness, you can't expect much. With slightly wider tires, it'd have fared much better.
That Colt looked very bland, even when new. Incredibly late '80s. At least they gave Mitsubishi fair reviews back then.
The Civic/CRX and GTI will always please.

Modified by HerrGolf at 2:06 AM 10-5-2009

#11 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (VWestlife)

Quote, originally posted by VWestlife »
8-valve GTI FTW! Well, almost. The Colt GT's winning score is a surprise. It sure never got much attention and respect, even when new.

It shouldn't suprise you. The Colt GT was actually a very nice car for the time. I lusted after one. I seem to recall a turbo version of this car somewhere along the line. Maybe just the Mitsu version?

#13 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (Brimjolt)

Quote, originally posted by Brimjolt »
Dodge Colt is the biggest POS EVER

LOL WUT? Could you even drive when these cars were new? What do you know about what they were like? Riding around in a beat down & ragged out one? Get a grip.

#16 ·
Re: (BRealistic)

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
I think the Colt GT had a turbo engine for 1989.

Correct. For 1989 only--the first year of this body style--both the Colt and the Mitsubishi Mirage featured a turbocharged (but not intercooled) 1.6L engine making 135 HP. Car and Driver observed a standing quarter mile time of 15.9 seconds, which would tie with the quickest car in this comparo.
Why the 1989 turbo Colt/Mirage never caught on with the general public is way beyond me.

#17 ·
Re: (TurboMinivan)

Quote, originally posted by TurboMinivan »

Correct. For 1989 only--the first year of this body style--both the Colt and the Mitsubishi Mirage featured a turbocharged (but not intercooled) 1.6L engine making 135 HP. Car and Driver observed a standing quarter mile time of 15.9 seconds, which would tie with the quickest car in this comparo.
Why the 1989 turbo Colt/Mirage never caught on with the general public is way beyond me.

Mitsus in general never caught on with the public (with the major exception of the DSM).

#18 ·
Re: (TurboMinivan)

Quote, originally posted by TurboMinivan »

I saw lots of them in Atlanta in the late 80s, but not in my area (ever). But they didn't have a very good dealer network here either.
----and on the article- I think dang- look at all those fun to drive inexpensive two door hatchbacks. But then I remember you could get a 5.0 LX Mustang for $12k back then. So that means these cars would be $20k now?

Modified by BRealistic at 11:09 PM 10/4/2009

#19 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (comparison test)--C/D June 1990 (TurboMinivan)

Thank you for posting this article. I remember reading and rereading it, trying to decide between buying the Wolfsburg Edition GTI (made in Mexico BTW) and the Honda Civic Si as my first new car. After a lot of thought, I bought the Wolfsburg GTI even with its glacial 0-60 time of 10.2 seconds. I loved driving the GTI for each and every one of its 105,000 trouble-free miles before I traded it in on a 1994 Civic EX Coupe. A move I have regretted ever since.
I never understood why the Dodge Colt scored so well in this comparison. Maybe there were some advertising dollars at stake. As far as the high marks for the GTI, back in the day C&D was in love with all things GTI. I don't think the Mk I or early Mk II GTI's ever got a bad review from them.

Modified by jimb at 10:14 PM 10-4-2009

#20 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (jimb)

Quote, originally posted by jimb »

I never understood why the Dodge Colt scored so well in this comparison. Maybe there were some advertising dollars at stake..

Maybe because they weren't biased by brand?

#21 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (BRealistic)

No, because the Colts really were crappy cars. Of course this is just my opinion based on having driven a new Colt at the time and based on the experiences of several Colt owners I knew.

Modified by jimb at 10:20 PM 10-4-2009

#22 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (BRealistic)

Yep. The Colt/Mirage twins always received high praise from C&D. I don't see what is so hard to understand. They were fun cars.

#23 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (jimb)

Quote, originally posted by jimb »

No, because the Colts really were crappy cars. Of course this is just my opinion based on having driven a new Colt at the time and based on the experiences of several Colt owners I knew.

Modified by jimb at 10:17 PM 10-4-2009

Really? My sister had a base model Mirage and it was flawless. Not fancy but dead nuts reliable. I had an 83 Colt that was great. Only things that went wrong were from my youthful ignorance.

#24 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (Doedrums)

Quote, originally posted by Doedrums »

Really? My sister had a base model Mirage and it was flawless. Not fancy but dead nuts reliable. I had an 83 Colt that was great. Only things that went wrong were from my youthful ignorance.

Maybe Mitsubishi's quality control was similar to VW's. Meaning that there were good cars and bad cars. I got one of the good GTI's, and the Colt owners I knew must have gotten some of the bad Colts. I also knew owners who got bad VW's.

#26 ·
Re: The Archive: Eleven for Thirteen (Doedrums)

Quote, originally posted by Doedrums »

Yep. The Colt/Mirage twins always received high praise from C&D. I don't see what is so hard to understand. They were fun cars.

I would still rock one if i could find one a 46G3 1st gen DSM swap is pretty damn straightforward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.