VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Without taking the current values into consideration, which would you choose?

• M3

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • Supra

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Corvette

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • 3000GT

Votes: 5 6.8%
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving into work behind a red 3000 GT this morning and it got me to thinking about this article. Hmmm...

·
Registered
Giulia, HRV, Ranger
3,852 Posts
I've driven the C5 and M3 a bunch, never the others.

I loved the 3000GT when I was young and this article came out. In the same way I think the EB110 is cooler than the F1: I think all the gizmos and more overwrought styling make the 3000GT cooler than the Supra. I still love them but wouldn't want the headaches.

Between the E36 and the C5: the C5 feels like a more modern car. However, the E36 is just right. It's much slower in the real world but more rewarding. I think the E36 and C5 styling have held up the best of the four.

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,592 Posts
While the M3 and Corvette put up a good fight in my brain, the Supra won out. It may be a trust issue because I certainly wouldn't trust an aging M3 these days and I'm just not quite into my Corvette years just yet. So, in my head, as long as they're all manual trans cars, I'd have the Supra. It was, and still is in most regards, a very competent sports car with a slew of aftermarket support both here in the states and abroad. Not to mention that WANG!!!!!

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
I was 27 when this comparo landed in my (physical) mailbox. My personal preference at the time was M3, Supra, 3000GT, and Corvette. Mind you, I had a 1993 Integra GS at the time, so I might have been biased against American iron. It's amazing the Supra and 3000GT were still being sold that late into the 90s.

Now in hindsight, I would probably go M3>Corvette=Supra>>>3000GT.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,080 Posts
The only car I drove from this group was the Supra turbo. And it was about when the article was published ('97). I had a fraternity brother with one of these. Was that car amazing for 20 yo me. I was a HUGE VW enthusiast at the time and drove a Fox at the time. But that Supra still blew my mind at the time. Of the cars in the test, I'd love to have the Supra over any of them. Yup, it's a nostalgia play. Not that I would actually buy one at prices clean stock ones go for currently, mind you.

To this day, it remains the fastest I've ever gone in a car. Speedo indicated 160mph on rt15 (if memory serves) outside of Gettysburg PA. No, I wasn't driving.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it, 2018 GSW
2,008 Posts
I'll never get sick of this car. Sun, rain, snow, track, road trip, daily, cars and covfefe. It does it all, and does it well.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Oddly enough I’ve been in all four, sort of…. We never got the 3000gt up here but my uncle brought me for a drive in his buddies Dodge Stealth so pretty much the same experience being the platform mate.

back then it would of 100% been the Corvette, M3, Supra then 3000gt, now on the other hand having been or driven in all of them and knowing my current preferences it would be M3, Supra, Corvette then 3000GT. Frankly the 3000gt is the only one I have zero interest in.

·
Premium Member
13,472 Posts
M3 wins with my head but C5 wins with my nuts. Particularly in the bizarro FRC body style. Fix the suspension and rock some noise cancelling headphones on the commute.... good to go.

Reactions: GarageBoy

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
All of those had their own distinct personality, or soul if you will.

Now we have a BMW Supra, a crossover Eclipse, a Corvette that wants to be a Ferrari, and an M3 with engine noises playing through the speakers.
I wouldn't mind seeing them revisit this 25 years later.

Was thinking they could title it "Life begins at $60k" but the M3/4 start in the low $70s.
So, "Life begins at $75k and were including a cheap Toyota for nostalgia."

M4 $75k
C8 $65k
Supra 3.0 $55k

1 - 20 of 113 Posts