VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys, joseph here...i own a 93 eunos roadster that i have started using for autocross early 2007.still quite new in this sport.i'm from the philippines by the way where the local autocross and slalom events are filled with old toyota starlets

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: (roadster363)

So you are in Manila huh? I thought just driving on the streets there was like a daily AutoX from what I have heard LOL. My GF is from Cebu, then Davao.
Back in the 80's I worked for Toyota dealers for many years. I remember getting the Toyota Motorsport magazines back then. It was mostly rally coverage, but I always remember in the back with the road racing section were always a lot of pictures of Starlets racing in Asia. But those Starlets were way different than the onese sold here in the USA. And I would imagine with TRD support for them, and not much for you from VW, you have your work cut out for you to be competitive. Well good luck, and Malagayan Pasko!
As for the list of classes up above, I am not too sure what is meant by 1K or 1J??? I have a 2006 GTI, but it is an early made MKV GTI with the DSG trans and 2.0T. But from trying to read your desription, I am confused where I would be placed = GS or HS?
And yes, I am an old timer at AutoX (since 74), but I have been away from the sport for over a year now since I moved to a different state, so lost track of what class I would be in currently. Got back into playing paintball more these days

·
Registered
5 Posts
driving in manila is such a bore because the traffic has worsened over the years...i got my miata from davao...the starlet's here really do have the TRD support they need...there is an abundance of twinside carb engines...well my miata still has a stock engine.i just play around with the suspension. right now i have bilstein shocks and RS*R springs because my miata is also daily driven and with the road conditions here,it's as if i'm riding with no shock absorbers at all!LOL

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: The Autocross Information Thread (ChefYarko)

The swapped engine alone puts in SM. I'd be worried if you didn't have a turbo, as it could give you the chance to be competitive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: The Autocross Information Thread (Couper1TEP)

They will be fine.
Will they be as fast as Hoosiers or Kumhos? no, probably not, but it depends on your competition and the size of the SM class in your area.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: The Autocross Information Thread (Mhyrr)

I've got a 91 GTi with ABA swap and cam upgrade.
Am I correct that the cam change would put me into SM? I think I would get killed.
Maybe it would be better to run my 07 Passat 2.0T instead!
Any Auto X clubs in CT? I am interested in getting into this

Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
241 Posts
can i put a 16v into a '91 8v GTI and still run in FSP because of update/backdate rules? I want to try to stay out of SM for this next year

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Re: (joefis23)

Quote, originally posted by joefis23 »
can i put a 16v into a '91 8v GTI and still run in FSP because of update/backdate rules? I want to try to stay out of SM for this next year

Yes, I believe you can, and it will make for quite a competitive car if setup fully and properly. The 8v cars were a little lighter than the 16v's, and with the allowed mod's you can make to the motor in SP, you can easily get 135whp or more out of it. Of course, this means a full overhaul of the engine, boring it over to the allowed max, port matching the head 1" into the ports, porting the intake manifold/possibly building a short runner, running standalone, custom built header and 2.5" exhaust, etc... It will take some money to make it completely competitive nationally, but on a local level, just drop the 16v in with a header and exhaust and have fun.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Re: (schmuck)

I have a MKIV R32. I go to events to watch and am looking to start participating in the near future. Below is a list of mods I have, let me know what class you think they'll put me in. I'm going to get into it mostly for fun so I'm not too worried about what cars I'll be running against.
VF Stage 2 Superchager(not installed yet)
HPA CVP Intake manifold
EVOMS VFLOW Intake
APR/B&B 2.5" cat back
034 Track density Engine and Trans mounts
Koni 1150 Coilovers
Neuspeed Rear Sway Bar 19mm
Neuspeed Adjustable Lower Rear Control Arms
Stock 18x7.5 wheels with all season tires (Looking for OZ Alleggerita's or Ultra's as summer wheel)
The Charger is in my garage so I was wondering what class I would be in with and without it.
Thanks guys,
Ryan

·
Registered
04 R32, 04 HPA FT450 R32, 98 GTI VR6, 10 Tiguan
2,435 Posts
Re: (SlamdSLC)

can't go thru and look it all up right now, but the links on here should be a help for you
http://www.indyscca.org/SoloPage.html
for reference I am running a local version of SM class w/ street tires, my mods are KW v3's, camber plates, rear adjustable lca's, rear adjustable sway, unibrace, vflow, vf motor mounts, front lsd, bhpp, stock exhaust w/ flapper, no ecu flash yet, tyrolsport caliper bushings, carbotech pads, street werks clutch, and a few more things

Modified by schmuck at 10:01 PM 7-5-2009

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Re: (schmuck)

Thanks for the quick response man
From what i've read, it looks like I might be SP without the charger, and SM with it.
I'm just wondering about where the intake manifold puts me. I didn't see much about that.

Modified by SlamdSLC at 12:15 AM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: (SlamdSLC)

I think the intake manifold drops you into SM anyway, so you might as well install your supercharger. SP doesn't allow very many engine modifications.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts