VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I've got an 04.5 GLI thats chipped, 3" TBE with high flow cat, APR 93 tune, CAI, Forge DV but otherwise stock. One street tires what class would I run?
And If I was to put on some R compounds on another set of wheels (probably not the stock BBS's and probably 16") what would I be looking at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Solo classification question

I've got a 2003 GTI 2.8L and I need to know what Street Touring classification it falls under. I'm going to build the car to the limits of the class so I would like to know the slowest class is allowed in. It has less and 3.1L NA, rims 7.5 inches wide stock and tires are only 225mm wide so I think I can get away with STS. Am I correct?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Re: The Autocross Information Thread (AutoXMan)

Quote, originally posted by AutoXMan »
Also:
How do I class my car? (SCCA and clubs that use SCCA rules)
For starters, take a look at a worksheet like this one:
http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/...n.pdf
This will give you a basic idea of which class you go into: Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared, or Modified. The lists above are also good, but this chart will help quite a bit.
Then read the rules pertaining to that class. You can find the online rulebook here:
http://www.scca.com/_filelibra...s.pdf
You may find that there are other items you have that are illegal for that class - or you might get some ideas on what to optimized to better yourself in a given class. For instance - you put on a rear swaybar and that's all you did. That puts you in Street Touring or Street Prepared. Well, those classes also allow camber adjusters, coilovers, etc. So you can take advantages of the rules in that class instead of trying to bump down into stock.
Lastly, refer to Appendix A of the rulebook. Find the class you are in (say, Street Prepared) and then look for your car. If you have, say - an RX8 you will find it listed under 'Class B'. So you are competing in B, Street Prepared. Or BSP for short.
Note: Stock class is NOT SLOW. It is relatively cheap, but that plus R compound tires make the class extremely competitive. I daresay that Street Touring is a generally slower class. Some regions may offer 'Street Tire' classes. These will allow you to run stock class rules with street tires (or SP, SM rules). Check with your region to find out what they do.

The link to the classification worksheet isn't working... the new address is
http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/...n.pdf

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
any engine swap puts you in sm?
If you change from the original engine yes. Autox classes are mostly meant for stock cars that have different preparation levels. Generaly speaking, engine swaps yeild large increases in performance so they are eliminated from most classes to keep it fair.

That is not to say you cannot autox your car though, having it in a certain class will have no bearing on how fun it is to flog the crap out of your car! :laugh:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I currently have a 98 passat sedan. Mild turbo swap. No suspension upgrades. Would I be able to just drive up and run?

Is there any other b5 guys running autocross that could give a beginner on which upgrades to make and which not to make.

I am assuming that I'd be in the street class and not prepared.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I currently have a 98 passat sedan. Mild turbo swap. No suspension upgrades. Would I be able to just drive up and run?

Is there any other b5 guys running autocross that could give a beginner on which upgrades to make and which not to make.

I am assuming that I'd be in the street class and not prepared.
If you are planning to run with a club that runs SCCA rules your turbo swap will most likely move you to SM, which is street modified. Don't get caught up in the classing, just come out and drive and have fun. I would not change anything on the car, learning how to drive around the faults of a particular car will make you a better driver. Acquire the skills > then make the mods to the car. Good Luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks man. I'm from pa and as soon as spring hits I'm hitting the course. I been to a few and it looks like so much fun. I can't wait.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm assuming you do this for fun. Is there anything I'll need to enter.
Fun has become an obsession.

To enter, make sure your car mechanically is in good shape, it will have to pass a tech inspection which looks for anything obviously loose and dangerous, bad wheel bearings, loose battery, loose items in the interior, etc. Almost every club has loaner helmets, but you will want your own soon enough, make sure it is SNELL rated as either a SA or M 2010 designation, If you plan to do track days then I would focus on the SA rated helmets. Best bet, check out the website for to club that is organizing the events you plan to enter and read everything you can. Additionally there is a great website, AutoX4u.com, click the novice link on the the right hand side and start reading.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks alot. I have been getting this bug since I saw goodguys autocross. Ever seen Detroit speeds 70 camaro. Any how thanks again and hopefully I will be autocrossing in the spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I know what autocross mean,thank you for this wonderful information,it explained there the complete information about it.On that kind of sports we all know that a very good quality of automobile is very important, as stated there.If you are planning to get this type of car With personal car loans, you can afford a new car even if you do not make as much money as a CEO.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honestly I think to many people here are getting way to caught up on being "competitive" based on classing. The flaw in this thinking, especially of the start (which if your worried about classing your obviously new anyways) is that in your given area, you might not even have another car in the class your worried about being competitive in. The only time its truely going to make a difference is for national or regional events, if your trying to win a title. Locally we have 40-50 cars that will show up, usually about 25-30 per event. I have had 1 other car ever show up and run in my class, 1 car in over 50 events over the last few years. At the end of the day having HS, or STX, or SM on the classing doesn't make a difference if your the only one in the class.

Another interesting note around here is basically we have a few guys that are always close for ftd, the classing and range of cars is crazy. We have a stock S2000 (GS or whatever class, on Hoosiers) but amazing driver, we have an STI in STU, a 73 toyota celica in SM, and a mk3 Jetta is FSP. The 4 drivers are always battling for FTD. If that doesn't show the range of driver, I don't know what else will. None of the cars are making the difference since the class should have the fsp car way faster then the GS and stu cars, but this isnt the case.

Just drive and have fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Honestly I think to many people here are getting way to caught up on being "competitive" based on classing....Just drive and have fun.
Okay, but I've won a couple times in H Stock and I feel like I'm punching below my weight, so to speak. How do I find out what's the next step up, and what I'm permitted to do? It used to be DSP, but with the new touring classes I'm all confused. Is there a checklist out there for the new rules?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts