VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey guys i have a few questions. Im building a MKII golf for autocross, trackdays, and possibly time attack. Im not concerned with being competitive, but I do want competition to run against.

If my car is even legal to run, Im sure it will be in the most extreme class.

Here are a few specs that will dictate class

Mildly worked over 1.8t
15x10 wheels
widened track
tubular subframe and control arms with radically moved pickup points
tubular front frame structure, highly modified front strut towers

The strut tower modification is what worries me most. There will be maybe 25% of the original steel left and thats it. I know lots of racing classes allow no chassis modifications between the strut towers except for safety devices such as a cage. Will cutting out the front strut towers and re working them make my car invalid to run in scca autocross?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would check out www.sccaforums.com. Someone usually responds quickly and they will be able to help you out. It doesn't seem like any one checks this thread anymore.

Even though your car is heavily modified, I'm sure you can still run autocross. You just might be in some crazy class.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would check out www.sccaforums.com. Someone usually responds quickly and they will be able to help you out. It doesn't seem like any one checks this thread anymore.

Even though your car is heavily modified, I'm sure you can still run autocross. You just might be in some crazy class.
thank you. I started a thread over there and ill see what happens now.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Hey guys i have a few questions. Im building a MKII golf for autocross, trackdays, and possibly time attack. Im not concerned with being competitive, but I do want competition to run against.

If my car is even legal to run, Im sure it will be in the most extreme class.

Here are a few specs that will dictate class

Mildly worked over 1.8t
15x10 wheels
widened track
tubular subframe and control arms with radically moved pickup points
tubular front frame structure, highly modified front strut towers

The strut tower modification is what worries me most. There will be maybe 25% of the original steel left and thats it. I know lots of racing classes allow no chassis modifications between the strut towers except for safety devices such as a cage. Will cutting out the front strut towers and re working them make my car invalid to run in scca autocross?
Up until you modified the suspension mount points and strut towers you would have been SMF. With the alterations I think that you're looking at D Modified.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts