·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
Exige & LS430 UL
17,564 Posts
Guess I will have to add another site to my watchlist and daily search.

On another note, RadWood also just announced their new auction platform via radforsale.com. I am interested to see how well they do in the coming months/years.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,137 Posts
And here come the wannabes. :laugh: Looks like this one is done by classiccars.com and the RADwood one is likely w/whoever has been funding their growth as of late.

I'm still waiting on a similar site from one of the big auction houses like RM/Bonhams/Barrett Jackson/Mecum/Gooding/etc. The market is there, are any of these guys paying attention? Hello?

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Whomever is behind this has been curating a good list of cars to kick things off. I'd have at least three of those in my garage.

I've been surprised it took this long for BaT to have real competition.

Agreed. And now they all seem to be coming online in the last two months - this one, Stratas, Doug’s cars n bids, the Radwood affiliated site... and I will stalk every one of them :laugh:

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And here come the wannabes. :laugh: Looks like this one is done by classiccars.com and the RADwood one is likely w/whoever has been funding their growth as of late.

I'm still waiting on a similar site from one of the big auction houses like RM/Bonhams/Barrett Jackson/Mecum/Gooding/etc. The market is there, are any of these guys paying attention? Hello?

The reason I even noticed this one is because I have been talking to a high-end automotive retailer, and a close friend auctioneer, about the idea of a new hybrid auction. One that melds together the best of BaT and the advantages of the live auctions of the traditional players. Someone’s going to do it right, eventually. The technology is there and the market is ripe.

·
Registered
22,137 Posts
The reason I even noticed this one is because I have been talking to a high-end automotive retailer, and a close friend auctioneer, about the idea of a new hybrid auction. One that melds together the best of BaT and the advantages of the live auctions of the traditional players. Someone’s going to do it right, eventually. The technology is there and the market is ripe.
Keep me posted on how that goes. The biggest challenge in that business is inventory. Doug got inventory because of his channel. This one is getting inventory because it's a spinoff of classiccars.com. An auction house like RM or someone like your friend could simply tap into their base of customers. Not every mega car collection is full of six or seven figure cars, there are plenty of vehicles ripe for a website like this.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Guess I will have to add another site to my watchlist and daily search.

On another note, RadWood also just announced their new auction platform via radforsale.com. I am interested to see how well they do in the coming months/years.
There's so many of these popping up. There's bidgarage.com too

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep me posted on how that goes. The biggest challenge in that business is inventory. Doug got inventory because of his channel. This one is getting inventory because it's a spinoff of classiccars.com. An auction house like RM or someone like your friend could simply tap into their base of customers. Not every mega car collection is full of six or seven figure cars, there are plenty of vehicles ripe for a website like this.
Truth. The guys I’m taking to are considering doing it 2-4 times a year, not constantly. And focusing on some specific vehicle niches: Cars they already buy and sell all the time, so they have the inventory. And they have the customers. So then it’s just about expanding the reach. But imagine if R&M at Monterey, for example, had a BaT-like one-week online lead in ?

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I love the Bavaria, just needs the ol' 4 on the floor.

Dave...shouldn't you NOT have posted this thread to increase your chances of a deal? :p

·
Registered
22,137 Posts
Truth. The guys I’m taking to are considering doing it 2-4 times a year, not constantly. And focusing on some specific vehicle niches: Cars they already buy and sell all the time, so they have the inventory. And they have the customers. So then it’s just about expanding the reach. But imagine if R&M at Monterey, for example, had a BaT-like one-week online lead in ?
Imagine if BaT/Doug&Bids simply stacked up a bunch of special cars that would go live during Monterey Car Week? Make an event of it. That would be cool. Maybe even bring a couple to the event as part of a promotion of the site.

Rob Myers launched a lower end auction brand a decade ago called Auctions America. Sadly this was folded back into the bigger company when he sold out to Sotheby's. That said they absolutely do it again with neo classics using an online-only platform. It's a lower margin business but much higher volume and it's constantly going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts