VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE JETTA.

Bought this 96' Jetta - Green, A/C, Premium stereo, Manual everything, Power steering and sunroof, Auto (Sucks), Tan interior(sucks) Bought for $300

IMG_00000132 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

So, Yesterday i took off the wheels and put it on jack stands to check out what i need to do - I knew already that i needed brake lines, (hard and flex), I found that i need to do some minor bodywork, and replace gas tank strap.

IMG_00000131 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000127 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000124 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000122 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000125 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000121 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000123 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000126-1 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000119 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000118 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000117 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000116 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000115 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000114 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000113 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

Tomorrow my brake lines arrive.
Then i'm going to order new gas tank straps - Photos will follow as it happens.

Thanks,

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like you are on the right track!

That strut looks rusted to hell. I'm in to see you put in some work. :popcorn:
Yeah, I took a screw driver and picked at it but it seems to be mostly surface rust - If it warms up a bit in the next few days i'm thinking of shotgunning it black just to try and stop it rusting - Really don't have very much spare money on this project right now. I'm already looking at like 2-400 for brakes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
about two - three hours of brake line work today - Got the master cylinder -Prop valve lines off cleanly, With the help of my negotiators; Namely a torch and Seafoam. Started bending the first replacement Master-Prop valve replacement - All in all i probably have another 5 or so hours to finish the lines, then probably an hour to get everything back in place and bled and cleaned up. Doing this sort of work takes passion and commitment, of both the monetary and mental kind. Hopefully tmrw i'll get most of the remaining lines done.

IMG_00000154 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

What do you think of the look of it with no grill?

IMG_00000153 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000151 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000150 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000149 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000147 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Advice Needed.

So Alarm system trouble - YEs i used the search function to all you people that like to say that to everyone.

When i use my key in my trunk lock cylinder and turn it to unlock - The alarm goes off regardless of whether the car is unlocked or not- all the door witches and the hood switch is fine. And everything including the vacuum lines are all fine. What gives? The only way to open my trunk is using the release button in the centre console.

Also, I bough some Wolfsburg Tailights. :)

IMG_00000168 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

Anyone want to buy some Mint condition OEM Tail Lights? With three of the four bulb holders?

IMG_00000169 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

IMG_00000167 by Ricky From Tv, on Flickr

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can't wait to see some new struts on her. Not a bad buy for 300 :laugh: get some glx leathers in there!
Planning on new struts next fall - or summer, I'm actually looking to put some black 8V S2 Scirocco Seats in the front. Have the seats just need to convince their owner to part with them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunatly this car got wrecked about 6-8 weeks ago - I relive the pain of losing my baby everyday. But - I replaced it with a better, worse condition car. Bought a 98 Jetta GT, currently doing floors, rockers, brake lines, cat back exhaust, recently i redid, and rewired the cooling system, ignition system, I had to rewire the rear lights, side marker, one of the headlights. Has 233 000 KM on it although it doesn't have its original gauge cluster so its actually higher than that. Has a good amount of non structural rot, But its almost ready to be on the road - Will be DD'd until at least next summer. The power steering lines are going - when they go ill be deleting Power steering, or fixing it depending on how I'm feeling. I've basically been working at getting it back to Oem'ish condition. Once i get some money flowing again - I'm going to do the timing belt, WP, serp, and v belts, Ive already done pretty much everything else - and I'm not short on spare parts - i have my entire old car in pieces minus what i sold - and what I'm selling.
Now for pics.

Old car's last drive

free screen capture

upload image online

image upload no limit

pic upload

New car

upload images free

1998 VW Jetta GT 2.0 L4, 5spd.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.