VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Which spoiler extensions are your favorite and why?

• aerofabb

• Artwork Bodyshop

• Flow Designs

• Hardcore Designs

• Rennwagen

• Strafe Design

• Vega Modified

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the money and time to buy (7) similarly styled spoiler extensions to compare each of them directly. I give my own opinion and rank them in various categories that most people take into consideration for this kind of product.

Are there any brands I missed?
  • aerofabb
  • Artwork Bodyshop
  • Flow Designs
  • Hardcore Designs
  • Rennwagen
  • Strafe Design
  • Vega Modified
I'd love to hear feedback from other people's experiences with these products, but I'm mostly interested in two things:
  1. Have you ever installed one of these using only adhesive tape? If so, how is it going?
  2. Have you ever bought the Hardcore Designs one knowing that you have to take off the side winglets for it to fit?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I spent the money and time to buy (7) similarly styled spoiler extensions to compare each of them directly. I give my own opinion and rank them in various categories that most people take into consideration for this kind of product.

Are there any brands I missed?
  • aerofabb
  • Artwork Bodyshop
  • Flow Designs
  • Hardcore Designs
  • Rennwagen
  • Strafe Design
  • Vega Modified
I'd love to hear feedback from other people's experiences with these products, but I'm mostly interested in two things:
  1. Have you ever installed one of these using only adhesive tape? If so, how is it going?
  2. Have you ever bought the Hardcore Designs one knowing that you have to take off the side winglets for it to fit?
ECS has one that I think looks the best and most OEM but haven't seen much in the way of posts or YouTube videos so it leaves me on the fence.

Josh

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECS has one that I think looks the best and most OEM but haven't seen much in the way of posts or YouTube videos so it leaves me on the fence.

Josh

I haven't seen anything similar from ECS unless you're talking about their one that fits like a cap?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any of them have any positive effect on the aerodynamics of the vehicle?
I don't recall any having claims for actual aero benefits. As far as I know, aerofabb is the only one of these companies currently developing track aero that will have positive impacts at track speeds.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I am considering the ECS one. I just like the way it looks, and like that it's not permanent just in case I change my mind. My buddy with an MK7 GTI swears by Aerofabb, though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I feel like excluding OEM TCR, OEM PP, and Maxton Design was a gap.

Reactions: ATK

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am considering the ECS one. I just like the way it looks, and like that it's not permanent just in case I change my mind. My buddy with an MK7 GTI swears by Aerofabb, though.
That style from ECS seems to be a good way to go for a complete cover that makes it look like less of an add-on. Interested to hear your feedback and see detailed pics if you end up installing.

I feel like excluding OEM TCR, OEM PP, and Maxton Design was a gap.
Those would have been great additions, especially the Maxton since it is so popular, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I was aiming to compare similarly styled spoilers and all of the ones I reviewed are all flat material that is attached to the backside of the OEM spoiler rather than mount on top like the three you mention. Maybe someone will do a similar video of that type of spoiler for a direct comparison?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
That style from ECS seems to be a good way to go for a complete cover that makes it look like less of an add-on. Interested to hear your feedback and see detailed pics if you end up installing.
Sure thing. Broke as **** right now after buying. But that is definitely a mod I plan to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Just ordered the ECS version (really needed the rain guards for the windows, so I just threw that in there) so I’ll report back as soon as it’s in and on the R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘83 gti, ‘18 golf r, ‘81 g20 nomad, ‘75 rabbit
10 Posts
i have the ECS version on my ‘18 and while in my
opinion it’s the best looking, the fitment left a bit to be desired. i had to trim/sand down a high spot or two on each side.

here’s a video i did talking about a few important things with the wing and my experience. sorry that it’s not a video dedicated to JUST the wing, but there are plenty of different angles of the wing on the car in the video worth seeing so not going to bother with time stamps. 10/10 would still buy it again and it’s held up fine now 8+ months later. please don’t mind my hate rant/venting on the mk7 facebook groups, i’m a mk1 guy ultimately so coming from that community to the newest left me feeling old and grumpy.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
381 Posts
There’s the one by Chet Ubetcha, I don’t know if he is a member here or not. He’s on golfmk7 though. Developed his own product.

·
Registered
2019, VW Mark 7.5 Golf R
11 Posts
opinion it’s the best looking, the fitment left a bit to be desired. i had to trim/sand down a high spot or two on each side.

here’s a video i did talking about a few important things with the wing and my experience. sorry that it’s not a video dedicated to JUST the wing, but there are plenty of different angles of the wing on the car in the video worth seeing so not going to bother with time stamps. 10/10 would still buy it again and it’s held up fine now 8+ months later. please don’t mind my hate rant/venting on the mk7 facebook groups, i’m a mk1 guy ultimately so coming from that community to the newest left me feeling old and grumpy.
Thanks for the post and views of the ECS wing. I am torn between this and the Aero.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you! Glad you found it to be helpful. Did it help you decide if you're going to get one? Or maybe decide not to get one?
It helped single out the ones with a good coating finish and more work on the leading edge than a lazy single CNC profile with no edge radius/chamfer. I would still love to see someone manufacture a lip with the glossy finish from Aerofabb but also a full radius on edge to make the part look more OEM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for sharing the vid! I have been wondering what it looked like in detail on the car. Still a bummer to pay for something you have to modify to fit or work correctly. Good work getting that part fixed right.

There’s the one by Chet Ubetcha, I don’t know if he is a member here or not. He’s on golfmk7 though. Developed his own product.
Yes, that’s Rennwagen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for sharing the vid! I have been wondering what it looked like in detail on the car. Still a bummer to pay for something you have to modify to fit or work correctly. Good work getting that part fixed right.

Yes, that’s Rennwagen.
Expecting for aftermarket body parts to fit absolutely perfect out of the box, especially at the price point of the ECS spoiler, is wishful thinking. From watching the video, the little bit of modifying that he had to do sounds way more manageable than the knockoff parts on AliExpress and others.

I'm sold on this ECS option after seeing his video!

Josh

1 - 20 of 27 Posts