VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so after having a few problems with the jetta it seems that i will need to purchase a new battery and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good brand that is priced relatively cheap

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts
Re: The best battery (BlueGTIguy)

I picked up a Diehard a couple weeks ago. $100
DieHard International
Sears item #02833341000 Mfr. model #33341

plus $5 core charge you will get back when you return the old battery.
Fits perfectly in my '95, should be the same for your '96.

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
Re: The best battery (C7rONi3x)

Red Tops I've seen were in the $120-$130 range.
The problem is that volk96gls never defined "cheap".
Often, "good" and "cheap" are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Re: The best battery (C7rONi3x)

Quote, originally posted by C7rONi3x »
you can get an optima red top for 100$ or so, 3 year warranty

How long do these typically last? I am running a SAM's special for 2 years now with no problems...$35

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Re: The best battery (baomo motorsports)

My Jolf is a 95 with over 150k on the original 9 yr. old battery
but if it dies withing the next lifetime I would go for an Optima Yellow top. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
27,529 Posts

Quote, originally posted by baomo motorsports »
i just got a Die Hard couple of weeks ago after my stock battery died after 7 years.
i tried to recharge the stock battery but the sides were bulged out and it was making a sizzling sound, maybe the water in the cells boiling?

My guess would be a short across the plates in one or more of the cells. The current is shorting inside the battery and overheating the electrolyte.
STOP!!
You do not want a battery-related explosion. It's dead and gone, turn it in for disposal and/or recycling .

Modified by DonL at 10:09 PM 9-29-2004

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Re: The best battery (DonL)

yea i turned it in for a lovely $5 core charge when i bought the new battery.
when it went dead it showed 9V. i pulled it from the car and saw the sides were deformed. i checked the cells and the water was just above the plates. it seemed to be holding a charge but when i heard the sizzling sound i knew it was gone. and it got really hot.
where does the battery vent from, those screw tops? i wonder if some of the vents were clogged and pressure was building up causing the electrolyte to heat up. because if there was a short in one of the cells it wouldn’t have held the charge i put on it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

Quote, originally posted by baomo motorsports »

when it went dead it showed 9V. i pulled it from the car and saw the sides were deformed. i checked the cells and the water was just above the plates. it seemed to be holding a charge but when i heard the sizzling sound i knew it was gone. and it got really hot.

Sweet Jesus

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: The best battery (8v o'Fury)

thanx for all the input, i ended up going to auto zone and picking up one from there. the red top was too expensive when i looked at it besides im on a limited budget due to the fact im a full time student right now so i ended up gettin a duralast. 3 year warranty, 650 cranking amps, so i think ill be fine for a while. again thanx for all the input

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Re: The best battery (DonL)

Quote, originally posted by DonL »
Damn, bruzzah, that bulging and sizzling would have had me rattled and ducking for cover.

I've been in the vicinity of a battery explosion once before; friend turns key to start the car, at that instant there was a loud bang (the kind that you feel in your abdomen). We were sitting there stunned, thinking WTF!?! Battery went bang, leaving a nice pimple on the hood where the cap that blew off impacted. I think in the grand scheme of things that it was a relatively minor battery explosion.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Three events I want no part of while working on my car...
1) battery explosion
2) strut mount change without a spring compressor tool
3) ejection from the engine bay of an inadequately torqued spark plug.
..in no particular order.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Re: (surferfletch)

Quote, originally posted by surferfletch »
Three events I want no part of while working on my car...
1) battery explosion
2) strut mount change without a spring compressor tool
3) ejection from the engine bay of an inadequately torqued spark plug.
..in no particular order.

Jack stand failure http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . Want nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
Re: (BlueGTIguy)

Don't forget expulsions of hot coolant from various split or bursting hoses or reservoir caps.
So, we have battery explosions, hot coolant, weak jacks and jackstands, uncontrolled suspension springs, and stray spark plug ejections.
We're living on the edge, aren't we, gang?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.