VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 GSW Sportwagen here. I thought I'd share some info on the best wiper blades I've ever used. After using several brands of blades and changing them at least once a year (Icon's mostly) I took a chance on Ottoblades about 3 years ago. I still had my three year old blades on my car that were working fine, but wanted to keep a spare on hand. I received an email from Ottoblades.com about 3 weeks ago that they were back, after a 2 year hiatus because of Covid. These are by far the best blades I've ever used. They are offering a complete set of three, driver, passenger and rear for $39.99, free shipping and 1 year guarantee. Check them out.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I find the OEM blades are incredibly good compared to the OEM blades on every non-VW I've owned. I replaced my OEM's after two years, sticking with OEM. I've clocked almost three years with the current set of fronts. The rear doesn't last as long, it averages about 1.5-2 years, probably all the grit the rear sees. One of the reasons I think they last so long is that I use Krystal Klar detergent mixed in with my wiper fluid. I firmly believe that the surfactants and lubricants help prolong the life of the blades.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've always used PIAA blades with no issues, you really want a silicone blade if possible. Wonder how these teflon coated blades hold up. Lots of others the coating wears off after about a year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always found the stock ones to work best actually. If u simple clean ur wiper blade off with WD-40 they will be like new again....... I then put some silicon lubricant on and no squeaking and smoth as butter!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2017 GSW Sportwagen here. I thought I'd share some info on the best wiper blades I've ever used. After using several brands of blades and changing them at least once a year (Icon's mostly) I took a chance on Ottoblades about 3 years ago. I still had my three year old blades on my car that were working fine, but wanted to keep a spare on hand. I received an email from Ottoblades.com about 3 weeks ago that they were back, after a 2 year hiatus because of Covid. These are by far the best blades I've ever used. They are offering a complete set of three, driver, passenger and rear for $39.99, free shipping and 1 year guarantee. Check them out.
Great responses!. Maybe the Ottotblades don't wear out and work so well is because I've used the Scotty Kilmer (love him or hate him) method of cleaning all my windows for the last couple of years. I'm still sold on them though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great responses!. Maybe the Ottotblades don't wear out and work so well is because I've used the Scotty Kilmer (love him or hate him) method of cleaning all my windows for the last couple of years. I'm still sold on them though.
Scotty is the man. I hate that he hired a PR person or whatever to do his video titles, but I watch them all the time. Love to see someone just doing their own thing.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I find the OEM blades are incredibly good compared to the OEM blades on every non-VW I've owned. I replaced my OEM's after two years, sticking with OEM. I've clocked almost three years with the current set of fronts. The rear doesn't last as long, it averages about 1.5-2 years, probably all the grit the rear sees. One of the reasons I think they last so long is that I use Krystal Klar detergent mixed in with my wiper fluid. I firmly believe that the surfactants and lubricants help prolong the life of the blades.
I use Rain-x on my cars' windshields - I think that also reduces blade friction and prolongs their life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted Dttoblades website for a wiper for my Lotus Elise, and they don't sell them. I tried their chat line but it was messed up and would not respond................Very FRUSTRATING !!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info, OP. I went with Valeos for my last change. Good blade, but I've been unhappy with the bright white logo at the corner. Looks like the Otto logo is more subdued.

Just placed my order. Looking forward to trying them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I contacted Dttoblades website for a wiper for my Lotus Elise, and they don't sell them. I tried their chat line but it was messed up and would not respond................Very FRUSTRATING !!!!
Our daughter has a friend in SF that has an Elise. Very, very nice car. When I was younger, a Lotus (any Lotus), was my dream car. I settled for a Porsche and still have it: 1964 356SC. A Racing Green Lotus Elise would look great sitting next to it in the garage. Lucky you!. 😎

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just received them. Wow, even the packaging is impressive. These look like high quality blades.

Random question: Does road salt/brine in the winter wreak havoc on blade rubber? I usually always install new blades in the spring

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just received them. Wow, even the packaging is impressive. These look like high quality blades.

Random question: Does road salt/brine in the winter wreak havoc on blade rubber? I usually always install new blades in the spring
they're coated, but over time that coating will fail. I've never used these blades personally, but it makes sense they'd be better with a coating. Most coated blades last longer but silicone is still king in my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Our roads occasionaly get the salt and sand treatment in the winter. I clean my blades about once a month by wiping them clean with vinegar. I keep wiping them until there is no black residue left on my microfiber cloth. I then apply petroleum jelly along the entire blade and wait at least 15 minutes before using them, this allows the jelly to soak in and dry. Been doing this for years. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts