VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

5541 - 5560 of 6946 Posts

·
Registered
16,525 Posts
He found me through a Porsche Panorama ad that someone on a Porsche forum had saved. My work phone number in the ad was still the same as today.

Utterly amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,137 Posts
Do you guys think I could use one of these services to find the original owner of my Porsche? I've tried all sorts of methods with no luck.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Do you guys think I could use one of these services to find the original owner of my Porsche? I've tried all sorts of methods with no luck.
Find someone with access to LexisNexis. Back in the day I worked for my dad during summers off in college and he had me doing stuff in LexisNexis. Its scary the amount of info you can find about someone on there.

·
Registered
45,400 Posts
What's most amazing to me is working at the same place since at least 1979.
We even moved the business from CT to FL 9 years ago. Kept the same CT phone number for business continuity.

·
Premium Member
SoCal | 987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,825 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey Chris., haven't heard from you in a long time my NJ brother.

I recall claims that it meant a full respray but don't actually know if that was the case.

There was a body shop near where I grew up in NJ, neighbor was formerly a partner in it, that had a young guy who I guess went and got trained on doing flip flop/chameleon paint jobs in the mid 90s. We ended up with quite a few cars driving around with crazy paint jobs that I guess he was practicing on, same house was always selling them. There was one or two years the probe came with a minor flip flop paint and he redid it with with the mustang color if I am remembering right. I recall a second gen Camaro, I think, with like the yellow/green flip. There were a few others but blanking.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,548
I kind of get the appeal, but I can't imagine trying to get one fixed after a fender bender. I imagine 95% end up with mismatched paint.
Negative. Apparently, one of the features of this is that you could repaint an area the size of a quarter and not see a difference.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,549
One hour left on this and another unexplained huge jump in bidding on BaT. Bidding was slow and steady during the week and still at $5300 this morning. Mrmuertos jumps in today and launches right to $7500. Seller then declares to the bidders that the reserve is off.
Everyone has their conspiracy theory. Lots of bidders don't spend time humping the listings like the masses. Besides, most auctions don't have a linear bidding plot at all.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
This four banger E30 is bidding at $10,200 eight hours after listing. It's got leather, but at 103K miles the price sounds like crack pipe territory. Or is that really where the E30 market is at? What say TCL?

·
Registered
84 Posts
This four banger E30 is bidding at $10,200 eight hours after listing. It's got leather, but at 103K miles the price sounds like crack pipe territory. Or is that really where the E30 market is at? What say TCL?

It's all the goons that missed the E30 M3 and 964 boat bidding up slow-ass econoboxes to take to Radwood. If that car were on craigslist, it would be $5500-$7500.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,727 Posts
It's all the goons that missed the E30 M3 and 964 boat bidding up slow-ass econoboxes to take to Radwood. If that car were on craigslist, it would be $5500-$7500.
The slightly impractical fun car market also seems to be going a little wild right now with people expecting to commute less. It might go for more than you're suggesting on CL, but IMHO it shouldn't. It's a nice car, but there's no way I'd pay five figures for it. In fact if I had an E30 it'd be going up right now. :laugh:

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,666 Posts
I don't even think it'd be that much. They pop up randomly around here for 2500-4000$ in great shape.

A friend picked up a gold 325i vert from the original owner last year. Paid $2800 for it and the car had 64,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't even think it'd be that much. They pop up randomly around here for 2500-4000$ in great shape.

A friend picked up a gold 325i vert from the original owner last year. Paid $2800 for it and the car had 64,000 miles on it.
Yeah, but vert = $1k at least below market. Vert + auto even cheaper.

These are basic $2-3k cars with 100k. Clean, nice, maint. records? Sure, maybe $4.5k-$5.5k. Manuel 4-banger, and absolutely zero rust and less than 75k miles? maybe $5-7k. The only desirable trim was the 325is, everything else doesn't do the "magic" stuff folks chasing M3s are after unless you do an engine swap and a ton of suspension stuff.

Either way, $10k is crackpipe for that car.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I had an '87 325iS about 15 years ago, white on red coupe. Shoulda kept it, could've sold it for a billion dollars on BaT today.

·
17,666 Posts
Yeah, but vert = $1k at least below market. Vert + auto even cheaper.

These are basic $2-3k cars with 100k. Clean, nice, maint. records? Sure, maybe $4.5k-$5.5k. Manuel 4-banger, and absolutely zero rust and less than 75k miles? maybe $5-7k. The only desirable trim was the 325is, everything else doesn't do the "magic" stuff folks chasing M3s are after unless you do an engine swap and a ton of suspension stuff.

Either way, $10k is crackpipe for that car.
True true.

This car was a manual. Had some m bits on it.

Cammisa and Matt Farrah were just talking about the vert 325’s with M-Technik treatment are 25-30k dollar cars. Nuts.

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,692 Posts
Lol you guys make it sound 4K mile per year driven e30s are just raining from the sky. I’d love to see some examples of the clean 5k e30s you are finding, and I’m sure plenty of others in here would appreciate it as well.

·
17,666 Posts
Lol you guys make it sound 4K mile per year driven e30s are just raining from the sky. I’d love to see some examples of the clean 5k e30s you are finding, and I’m sure plenty of others in here would appreciate it as well.
64,000 miles, manuel, $2,800

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,692 Posts
I mean, it's really nice, but comparing an early model bronze vert, to a late model alpine coupe....It's not the same.
There's going to be deals to be had on the (nearly) least popular builds of popular cars. I bet that 318is goes for close to 20k. It really depends on how many other people are looking for what you are, and a deal falling into your lap is only a small blip on a lot of data that determines a market.
Also, when I said finding, I was implying people would appreciate the listings, because I'm sure some people in here would love to buy.

5541 - 5560 of 6946 Posts