VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

6261 - 6280 of 6953 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,261
BAT really has a sensational group of cars lately.

1972 Lotus Elan in Pistachio

This 1990 Miata will be interesting to watch as it sold on BAT in Nov 2018 for $8.8K. This would show us what type of appreciation NA Miatas are really bringing

But the real gem is this owned by the famous Portland classic car grandfather, Monte Shelton. My GOD it's so beautiful and clean. The real travesty is it's being sold by the shop that makes the BEST driving videos, but since it's a consignment race car, they don't drive it on the street. Would love to hear this one scream!

·
Chili Bigot
19,981 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
All right, somebody in Vegas buy this before I do something stupid
Somebody at BaT wants me in debt slavery, seeing as they have another ~333 HP clownshoe with five forward gears rather than six, a personal favorite of mine. Only 59K miles on this one... Good thing there's the (above) 362K mile hand-built-on-the-race-car-factory-floor Bimmer to draw me away from this poor decision:
Oh great, what's this? An '89 325ix with just over 100K miles, manual of course, up in Idaho:
F***, if this were a 325 and closer to me I'd probably do something irresponsible.
You're all talk. :p

·
Registered
44,092 Posts
I was always a fan of how these looked but I guess they were overshadowed by the NSX?
I’d say not really. The NSX was one of my favorite cars of the era, but was designed more along the lines of the flavor of the Ferrari, but they weren’t going after the same customers.

The NSX didn’t lack for press if that’s what you mean, though. It was quite a splash and set Porsche back on their collective heels, which it certainly did compete with.

·
Chili Bigot
19,981 Posts
I’d say not really. The NSX was one of my favorite cars of the era, but was designed more along the lines of the flavor of the Ferrari, but they weren’t going after the same customers.

The NSX didn’t lack for press if that’s what you mean, though. It was quite a splash and set Porsche back on their collective heels, which it certainly did compete with.
I didn’t know anyone buying either car, new, at the time so don’t know how true it is. I thought I recalled the narrative in the automotive press was that the NSX was a wake up call for the Italians re QC, etc... The early 348s were fraught with a bit too much “character”.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,408 Posts
Before the NSX it was just expected that exotic cars weren't reliable. Acura changed some people's expectations around that and the NSX also offered a lot of value. The NSX also debuted at a time when the economy wasn't great and expensive sports cars sold in relatively tiny numbers so the small Italian brands didn't really have the money to put out high tech new cars.

After the 348, Ferrari basically facelifted the Testarossa twice and the 355 was basically a heavily reworked 348. Meanwhile Lamborghini sold nothing but the Diablo for many, many years.

·
Registered
44,092 Posts
I didn’t know anyone buying either car, new, at the time so don’t know how true it is. I thought I recalled the narrative in the automotive press was that the NSX was a wake up call for the Italians re QC, etc... The early 348s were fraught with a bit too much “character”.
Oh that's definitely true. Acura showed that "exotic" cars could indeed be very reliable.

The 911 had been pretty reliable before that, but had been basically the same car since inception and that's before German cars got their (well deserved) finicky reputation. 911s were robust and reliable at a time when almost none of the competition was. Of course 911s were only semi-exotic compared to Ferrari and Lamborghini (as was Acura), but both of those cars were so solid that even the Italians had to stand up and take notice, the Acura even more so than the 911. It was as reliable as any other Honda product, but was developed to the Nth degree and performed better than almost anyone suspected. It was also making Porsche jealous because Porsche was in real financial trouble because the 911 was so expensive to build. They had to figure out a way to make their cars more modern, even more reliable and profitable. Of course we know their eventual solution.

Before the NSX it was just expected that exotic cars weren't reliable. Acura changed some people's expectations around that and the NSX also offered a lot of value. The NSX also debuted at a time when the economy wasn't great and expensive sports cars sold in relatively tiny numbers so the small Italian brands didn't really have the money to put out high tech new cars.

After the 348, Ferrari basically facelifted the Testarossa twice and the 355 was basically a heavily reworked 348. Meanwhile Lamborghini sold nothing but the Diablo for many, many years.
:beer:

·
Chili Bigot
19,981 Posts
:) :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
All right, somebody in Vegas buy this before I do something stupid: A 1990 325i convertible, manual, no reserve. Mileage is only a little more than half what my dad's '86 non-'vert had when we got rid of it in '98.

If you are at all considering an E30 I'd be watching that auction closely.
That looks like a very nice car. Nice mods, the interior work looks excellent, seems to be a caring and knowledgeable owner.
Really nice overall package.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It was also making Porsche jealous because Porsche was in real financial trouble because the 911 was so expensive to build. They had to figure out a way to make their cars more modern, even more reliable and profitable. Of course we know their eventual solution.
Yes, the eventual solution was to cut corners and not take responsibility for shoddy design and construction.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Don't flame me too much, but I'm digging this! It looks like a life size Hot Wheels car. :laugh:

Customized 1972 Avanti II

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-avanti-avanti-2/

This 1972 Avanti II was sold new in February 1973 in Indiana and was purchased in 2006 by its previous owner, who subsequently commissioned comprehensive mechanical and cosmetic customization. Taking inspiration from a proposed performance variant of the Avanti called the Stinger, hot rod designer Eric Brockmeyer was tasked with rendering a design for the project in 2009 before the build commenced. Nicknamed the “Avanti X,” the car is powered by a 383ci GM Performance V8 equipped with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and Holley Street Avenger carburetor. Modified bodywork is finished in a metallic yellow with matte black accents, and the interior is trimmed in custom black leather. Additional equipment includes a Tremec five-speed manual transmission, power-assisted disc brakes, lowered suspension, 17” American Racing wheels, a Lecarra steering wheel, and more as outlined below. Acquired by the selling dealer from the previous owner’s estate in June 2020, this custom Avanti II is now offered in Massachusetts with period sales documents, renderings from Eric Brockmeyer, build plans and invoices, and a clean Ohio title.
The car began life as a 400ci model finished in Saturn Bronze Firemist over Butterscotch leather with brown suede seat inserts and shag carpeting. The custom build performed during the late 2000s was inspired by a photo from the 1970s that proposed a “Stinger” variant of the Avanti. The photo and its caption are shown in the photo gallery below and describe an Avanti powered by a Corvette engine and equipped with other performance features.
During the build process, several modifications were made to the fiberglass body before it was refinished in DuPont Lemon Mist over Cosmic Dust. Custom touches included deleting the bumpers and bumper mounting holes front and rear, as well as converting the door handles to flush units, adding a front chin spoiler, and routing the exhaust outlets through the rear valence. The vertical front turn signals were deleted and signals were instead incorporated into the front grille, while the front side markers were relocated and changed to a teardrop shape. The taillight lenses were molded into the rear bodywork, and the backup lights were deleted from the trunk lid.
American Racing AR-500 wheels measure 17×8” up front and 17×9” out back and are mounted with 235/55 Diamond Back Classic redline tires. Matte black graphics include a hood and cowl stripe and contoured side stripes. Additional black accents include the window trim, headlight buckets, driver-side mirror, and custom hood pins. Customized “Stinger” badging has been added on the nose and trunk lid, and the fuel filler cap wears a Stinger decal with a red, white, and blue surround. PPG tinted glass was installed during the build, and an overview video can be watched above.
The custom interior features black leather upholstery with pleated inserts over factory front and rear bucket seats. The doors, rear side panels, headliner, and sun visors are trimmed in matching leather, while black carpeting lines the floors. Brushed stainless accents have been added to the console and dash, and the latter was restored by Just Dashes. Additional features include a power sunroof, Hurst shifter, power windows and locks, billet door handles, and cup holders on the inside of the glovebox door. An “X” is embossed on the rear shelf and is said to represent a crossing of the Roman numerals in “Avanti II.”
The Lecarra steering wheel features an “X” on its horn button and is mounted on a Flaming River tilt steering column. Stewart Warner instrumentation includes a 160-mph speedometer and an 8k-rpm tachometer, as well as gauges for oil pressure, amperage, fuel level, and coolant temperature. The five-digit odometer shows that approximately 1,600 miles have been added since the build. Gauges monitoring manifold pressure, voltage, fuel pressure, and oil temperature are situated in the center console, which also houses a starter button and a switch controlling electrical cutouts for the exhaust system. Thrust lever-style heater switches and the sunroof switch are located in the lower console.
The 383ci V8 is a GM Performance crate engine that has been dressed to cosmetically replicate a Chevrolet LT-1. Features include an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, Holley Street Avenger carburetor, GM Performance distributor, 74-amp alternator, Weiand water pump, aluminum radiator, SPAL electric fan, and March Performance pulleys. Hooker headers feed a custom exhaust system with Cherry Bomb resonators and electrically operated cutout valves. Service performed by the seller in August 2020 included an oil change and tune-up, as well as installing new spark plugs and a Braille battery. Repairs to the sunroof and power steering system were also carried out.
Power is sent to the rear wheels through a five-speed Tremec transmission and a Centerforce clutch. The four-wheel disc brake system features an aluminum master cylinder, 9” Delco power booster, 11.65” ST slotted and drilled rotors, and calipers that have been customized with “Avanti X” decals. The front suspension utilizes lowering springs to drop the ride height, while the same is achieved out back with a Jim Weimer Rod Garage four-link and sway bar kit along with Aldan American coilovers.

6261 - 6280 of 6953 Posts