VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 7173 Posts

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,196 Posts
That's my friend Eric's car. His builds are super meticulous. The other car is a nut and bolt restoration DR30 Skyline with RB26dett power.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7629/27625786175_cce2d575bf_c.jpg[img]

Here's the HP list of the cars in that picture:
70[/QUOTE]

Please pass along a hearty job well done from me. That car is amazing.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
That's about as good as a set of buffalo hides will look these days without re-dyeing.

The car overall is one of the most desirable E24s but still scruffy enough to keep driving it. To me that is perfect.

·
19,196 Posts
That's about as good as a set of buffalo hides will look these days without re-dyeing.

The car overall is one of the most desirable E24s but still scruffy enough to keep driving it. To me that is perfect.
Easy car for a rolling restoration.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
My wallet is vibrating.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-bmw-m635csi-4/

M88 scares me. High mileage M88 scares me. Getting it smogged in CA scares me. Hold me.
The M88 should scare you, as do the holes drilled into the body for those terrible import side markers.

And to be clear, those buffalo seats looked pretty much just like that from new.

·
19,196 Posts
This car is pretty damn appealing if the price stays reasonable.

What are you thinking is a reasonable max bid?
I'm not a buyer on that car, but if I was, $13-14k. Engine scares me too much. They love to explode, and it's $12-15k to make them right again. Too much risk for a car that will seem slow as crap for me too. I'd rather get an M30 powered Euro 635CSi and have all of the looks and none of the mechanical worries.

I almost bought this one before I got my E9.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-635csi-euro/

I liked this one too, but I'd prefer an E28 based car.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-bmw-635csi/

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
If that oil leak is from the front then your already in for a big chunk of cash doing the timing cover/chains/tensioners/guides/crank pulley seal. I think after all that was done on my M30 it was about 2K, its a nasty area to get to and the chains/guides are a little unreasonable cost wise. Also, BMW only sells one chain length and then you shim the oil pump to tension, those oil pump shims are NLA from BMW. The M88 should be a double chain setup if memory serves. That being said, on the M30 its a once every 200k job.

And yes - I would avoid a E12 based car if at all possible.

·
19,196 Posts
If that oil leak is from the front then your already in for a big chunk of cash doing the timing cover/chains/tensioners/guides/crank pulley seal. I think after all that was done on my M30 it was about 2K, its a nasty area to get to and the chains/guides are a little unreasonable cost wise. Also, BMW only sells one chain length and then you shim the oil pump to tension, those oil pump shims are NLA from BMW. The M88 should be a double chain setup if memory serves. That being said, on the M30 its a once every 200k job.
My M30 was leaking from that area, and I said fook it, pass on fixing it. I was planning on pulling it anyway for a fuel injected swap, but man, that is a total pain in the ass.

The M88 runs a single cam chain (scary!) unless it's been retrofitted. My M30 in my E9 was a double cam chain, which was nice. Not sure on the oil pump however.

41 - 60 of 7173 Posts