VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
9381 - 9400 of 9636 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What am I missing here? $230K??? Is the colour combo that compelling? It's an auto for crap's sake.

Very very rare color that is coveted by many Supra enthusiasts, personally Im pretty meh about it, give me Baltic Blue or Jade Green all day over RSP. Here are the Royal Sapphire Pearl US production numbers:

1997 - 21 Turbo 6speeds, 34 Turbo automatics
1998 - 10 turbo 6speeds, 16 turbo automatics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Very very rare color that is coveted by many Supra enthusiasts, personally Im pretty meh about it, give me Baltic Blue or Jade Green all day over RSP. Here are the Royal Sapphire Pearl US production numbers:

1997 - 21 Turbo 6speeds, 34 Turbo automatics
1998 - 10 turbo 6speeds, 16 turbo automatics

That amount of money is insane. For that kind of money you are up into some actually seriously fast cars. Why not buy an ariel atom and have over 150k left over for a second car?

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,980 Posts
I can’t believe how much worse that scirocco looks than the day he got it, and how much money and time it would have taken to get there.

Reactions: Seabird

·
Registered
30,249 Posts
That ‘Rocco is really depressing.
It is. It looks like it's been hacked.

Doors and front fenders have lots of rust. Where else is there rust hiding under the paint?

Other than the cracked dash, the original interior is all gone. Athough I like the seats. What's up with the crappy carpet?

Motor is not better. The thermotime switch is not connected. The vacuum port on the spark distributor is not connected. STP oil filter? Metal screws instead in the correct studs and nuts to hold the valve cover.

The fifth injector is missing. The manifold vacuum port was cut with a hacksaw and plugged. Not shown in this picture, but the ECM for spark control is gone. I don't see any hoses that should connect to the cold start valve located behind the intake manifold.

This poor motor must be hard to start and it must run like **** if it ever starts.

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,302 Posts
It is. It looks like it's been hacked.

Doors and front fenders have lots of rust. Where else is there rust hiding under the paint?

Other than the cracked dash, the original interior is all gone. Athough I like the seats. What's up with the crappy carpet?

Motor is not better. The thermotime switch is not connected. The vacuum port on the spark distributor is not connected. STP oil filter? Metal screws instead in the correct studs and nuts to hold the valve cover.

The fifth injector is missing. The manifold vacuum port was cut with a hacksaw and plugged. Not shown in this picture, but the ECM for spark control is gone.

This poor motor must be hard to start and it must run like **** if it ever starts.

I didn't even notice all these issues. Clearly a run-away-from example. Sadly, someone will buy it thinking they're getting something worthwhile.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
That scirocco is bad and sounds like it's already rusted to death again. Weird choice overall. The interior is kinda cool tho. Couple years ago that would have been hard sell on craigslist at $3k.

I wonder if it got hit on passenger side...

·
Registered
978 Posts

Reminds me of my old 76
I loved that car

Upon further review, this one is in no better shape than my old 76. Well, my 76 had a solid 1.8L in it.

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,302 Posts
Looks like a pretty honest example of a 928 which are one of my fav P-cars out there. I know it's just an automatic but I bet it would make a great highway cruiser.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That amount of money is insane. For that kind of money you are up into some actually seriously fast cars. Why not buy an ariel atom and have over 150k left over for a second car?
Supra people do stupid things man.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I can't believe BaT allowed it to be listed.
I've been saying this about a bunch of listings. I don't think bring a trailer cares about quality anymore. As long as they can make money, and it's a coolish car, it seems to get listed. There was an absolute rotbox crx recently on there that sold for like 5 grand that had a completely rotted out frame, entire rear suspension mounting area was rotted out.

I've seen less bad cars on cars and bids, which seems to be moving into the position bring a trailer built their reputable on- selling very clean examples of desirable cars

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We keep having to go over this for the benefit of the 8 year olds of the world. If you can afford that Supra, you don't need to sacrifice buying another car too. You can have both.
And if someone with the money really wants the blue supra they couldn't afford 25 years ago, they don't care about a damn Ariel.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,956 Posts
We keep having to go over this for the benefit of the 8 year olds of the world. If you can afford that Supra, you don't need to sacrifice buying another car too. You can have both.
And if someone with the money really wants the blue supra they couldn't afford 25 years ago, they don't care about a damn Ariel.
I totally agree. There are more than a handful of people with deep enough pockets where they can make decisions that the rest of us think is silly. I never understood the emotional pull of nostalgia personally and to me, that's a more interesting question. Whether I have $10 or $10M, I'm generally going for the newer option (of course there are exceptions, but not many). Then again, if I already owned the newer options and had money burning a hole in my pocket, perhaps I'd look further back just because I could.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
While I agree with your point, I still think it's ridiculous, and the driving experience of said car is still not worth the going price for anything other than nostalgia points. Especially an AUTOMATIC supra......

·
Registered
'09 135i, '22 CX5 Turbo
14,096 Posts
I totally agree. There are more than a handful of people with deep enough pockets where they can make decisions that the rest of us think is silly. I never understood the emotional pull of nostalgia personally and to me, that's a more interesting question. Whether I have $10 or $10M, I'm generally going for the newer option (of course there are exceptions, but not many). Then again, if I already owned the newer options and had money burning a hole in my pocket, perhaps I'd look further back just because I could.
Is an interesting question.

As someone who feels a strong pull for nostalgia, and always have, it's emotional and nothing more.
Memories of simpler and easier times? Times when I was happier and less saddled with adult BS?
Nostalgic items have a calming effect, dopamine, whathaveyou.

Also believe there's an element of when our tastes are more or less solidified.
Typically from the ages of 16-24 our tastes in music, style, etc. become less fluid and tend to stick with us for life.
Hell, I still wear plaid flannel... I'm not sure anyone under the age of 25 knows what grunge is :ROFLMAO:

9381 - 9400 of 9636 Posts