VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Bring A Trailer (BAT) watch thread

1M views 12K replies 546 participants last post by  Zinhead1 
#1 ·
I think we're overdue for a thread to post or discuss the wonderful oddities and tragedies from Bring A Trailer .

What are you watching?
What can you reasonably afford?
What are you bidding on?

#11,603 ·
I'm mildly obsessed with this five-speed 1982 BMW 733i that was originally sold in Newfoundland and now resides in Nevada. Look at that fantastic Cypress Green exterior over a green leather interior. Not to mention the 16" BBS wheels. Seems to be in amazing shape too.

#11,604 ·
I'm mildly obsessed with this five-speed 1982 BMW 733i that was originally sold in Newfoundland and now resides in Nevada. Look at that fantastic Cypress Green exterior over a green leather interior. Not to mention the 16" BBS wheels. Seems to be in amazing shape too.

That spec is (almost) mint....

Reactions: Oliver@triplezoom
#9,959 ·
#11,283 · (Edited)
One owner, 16k Mile, 20th AE GTI.

Original-Owner 2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition

Little tire shine would have gone a long way here.
Very cool plot twist on this. Was going to meet a friend for lunch and he suggested we stop by the house quick. He opened the garage and there it was. BaT buyer that won backed out because he had "no garage and lived in the city" aka "I bid on a car and won and then told my wife". :LOL:

BaT put the seller in contact with my friend and they worked out a deal. Car is truly a time capsule. I haven't seen a set of Recaros that clean since I bought mine new back in '03.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

#11,466 ·
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Comments in that auction are off the chain in an absurd way, like at one point I really put alotta faith in BaT commentstreams due to died-in-the-wool enthusiasts who knew their shid from shidola & I'd glean some good cubes from insider knowledge it seemed, but nowadays, as with everything else, it seems to be inundated with clueless morons who make asinine jokey quickhit smartass quips...

...this guy is on point tho:

Font Parallel Document Number Screenshot

#11,475 ·
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Handwriting

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Paper product

Dayummm...brutal.

#11,002 · (Edited)

Call me a crazy heretic,
but I've never liked BBS mesh,
and dislike them even more when kitted out with this pokey variant:

Especially also on a homologation special they look out-of-place to my eye,
give me Speedlines any day over these!

Montecarlo-style looks fantastic:

View attachment 315568

As does Type 2110:

I like BBS wheels, but that color combination is turrible, but not as bad as that ridiculous offset. That's turribler.

No. No that does not.
I stand by the aesthetics of Montecarlo-style simply because at least they got a rally vibe and to my eye works well in particular with the quoted red Rallye which also has an aftermarket Integrale-style hood, those wheels appear to be Compomotive TH2 which have also been in production for a long time although I think the Speedline Montecarlo design was first but I could be wrong.

Here's some Compomotive TH2 in white fitted to a regular Golf in the same color (or close?) as the C&B Rallye:

Those high offset zero lip or whatver-the-hell-they-are-known-as,
are truly in the gag-me-with-a-spoon zone tho! LOL

View attachment 315576
It like complaining that Cindy Crawford has a mole. I would not throw her out of bed for eating cookies and if I was interested in this, and love the color, these wheels would not stop me from bidding on it.
(y) Integrale Montecarlo wheels or these re-lipped Sebrings look good on a Rallye to me. I love BBS but that would not be my first pick to put on a Rallye.

Edit: A little P-chop.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#11,543 ·
#11,676 ·
#10,204 ·
Soooo tempted to bid on this! A friend of mine in Chapel Hill had a new '91 identical to this and after driving it I was hooked...leading to my purchase of a Monty green '92 16v.

#10,208 ·
Soooo tempted to bid on this! A friend of mine in Chapel Hill had a new '91 identical to this and after driving it I was hooked...leading to my purchase of a Monty green '92 16v.

I had an 8V very similar to that and a '91 GLI 16V. This is the merge of the two and exactly what I'd spec if I were buying new. Too bad it's already $20k, as I won't be getting that. It's definitely "Hnnnnnnng"worthy, though. ❤

#10,419 ·
Reactions: masa8888
#11,503 ·
I want to hate this so bad....but....

View attachment 344911

View attachment 344912

I'm enjoying these bizarre Porsche combos.
Paint to sample silver with red roof. Not bad. Not sure I'd spend paint to sample money on silver, but whatever.
Mix it with a green interior for a nice Chrstmasy vibe.

2023 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS 7-Speed

#11,482 ·
As someone who can only dream to own a trackday Porsche that can also be daily driven I love everything about that GT3 Touring. I love rubystone, I love blue interiors, I love manual transmissions, I love the hate it brings from p-car snobs. I would daily drive it til the end of time and track it every weekend. I would have to color match a spare set of calipers to the interior. I wish this was a 911R with the SMF and large fuel tank. I would not have optioned for the front end lift, but that's ok. This was the best possible use of a GT3 touring allocation.

#11,538 ·
As someone who can only dream to own a trackday Porsche that can also be daily driven I love everything about that GT3 Touring. I love rubystone, I love blue interiors, I love manual transmissions, I love the hate it brings from p-car snobs. I would daily drive it til the end of time and track it every weekend. I would have to color match a spare set of calipers to the interior. I wish this was a 911R with the SMF and large fuel tank. I would not have optioned for the front end lift, but that's ok. This was the best possible use of a GT3 touring allocation.
I like a lot of stuff on BaT but man, If I had the funds....THIS would be it!

#11,561 ·
#9,897 ·
#10,603 ·
^^^above and below
\/ \/ \/ :drool emoji:

#10,614 ·
^^^above and below
\/ \/ \/ :drool emoji:

The high bid was $115,000, but the reserve was not met.

#10,881 ·

#10,912 ·
I have to admit, I seriously contemplated bidding on this...but I kept my cool.

#11,669 ·
#11,687 ·
This is quite nice!

#11,690 ·
This is quite nice!

View attachment 365701

View attachment 365702

View attachment 365703

Sexy AF! I don't know anything about these. Were they really engineered and built from the ground up or were they more of a coachworks car built on an existing platform. It looks like a much svelter XK Series II coupe to me.