VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
361 - 380 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Almost 5 years sober here, ill smoke a joint with yah though. :D
Good for you!! I'll happily support you by abstaining with you should we ever meet!!

• Love
Reactions: Seomobster

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
Body/paint shop is getting caught up on collision work, so the Bunny Truck is getting some love.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
Compare these shots of the passenger door:

As purchased.
Rectangle Wood Brick Material property Composite material

Stripped, note how thick the filler is.
Art paint Rectangle Wood Paint Tints and shades

Today.
Paint Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Nice. Excited to see how it turns out.
You and me both! I'm pretty sure it's going to look pretty dang good. As I noted a couple pages ago in this thread, I've worked with this shop before, and know he will do a great job.
Same local shop that painted my Porsche over the winter of '19-20. We haven't discussed a timeframe, I'm going to guess 8-10 weeks, as this type of job has to be worked around the normal collision repair work.
View attachment 110812
View attachment 110813
View attachment 110814
View attachment 110815

·
Registered
742 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the result. Did you see the pickup on BaT? Similar concept to yours. Should give you an idea of what yours might be worth

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Looking forward to seeing the result. Did you see the pickup on BaT? Similar concept to yours. Should give you an idea of what yours might be worth

Looks like a nice build but I would have gone with the Euro bumpers.
I hadn't seen the BaT truck until I saw your post here. (I've been having some problems with my daily BaT emails going into the Junk folder.) But it is a nice looking truck, and will be interesting to see where it ends. I agree with @Butcher about the bumpers, the chrome bars don't jive with the rest of the build, IMO. Mine will have a bit more GTI-vibe from the outside, and I think the interior of mine will be a bit more cohesive looking. I doubt that mine will look that nice under the hood, though, and while my polished Carat wheels are nice, the snowflakes on the BaT truck are awesome.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
So I stripped and repainted the 4 pieces in hopes of doing a better job this time. Turned out very nicely this time, although the camera can't tell any difference.
Paint/Code for the red on the grille ?, need to redo mine on my westy GTI.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
It's not an exact match, but it is really close to the 16v badges I got. Close enough that with the badge an inch or more away from the grill trim the difference is mostly unnoticeable. It was paint I already had in the cupboard from some prior project.

Liquid Fluid Drink Paint Gas

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Paint shop still on target for completion, or do you just sit back and wait for the call?

Originally, it was Mars Red. 3A… something.... the orange hue comes from age. Looking at NOS stuff, it’s definitely not orange.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Paint shop still on target for completion, or do you just sit back and wait for the call?
Well, the target has always been a bit fuzzy. I guessed 8-10 weeks when I dropped it off, and I think he could still make that target. Of course, that is still just my own guess. I tend to drop in to visit once every 7-10 days just so that he knows I'm waiting on him. Low key kind of pressure...

Originally, it was Mars Red. 3A… something.... the orange hue comes from age. Looking at NOS stuff, it’s definitely not orange.
Back in the '80s when I owned my Cirrus Gray '81 Scirocco S, a good friend of mine (best man at my wedding) owned an '80 Scirocco S in Mars Red. Even before it faded Mars Red tended slightly to the orange end of the red spectrum, unlike Tornado Red which was a truer red.

But you are correct, the new 16v badges I have do look like Mars.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Visited again today, much more red paint gone. While we weren't sure if we'd need to go this far, it's really no surprise that to ensure a decent job the whole truck will end up bare metal before long.

A few minor issues found, mostly shoddy work prior to the thick red paint. That's another advantage to a bare-metal job, you find (and hopefully fix) all the little issues.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 · (Edited)
Pretty much the entire exterior is now either bare metal, or with a skim of filler. Hoping to get all the remaining small repairs done and into epoxy late this week.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
What are your plans for the interior and engine bay? Maybe it doesn't need primer, but will get color?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 · (Edited)
The plan was that I would clean up and shoot something in the engine bay myself before the paint work, and the paint shop would shoot color inside the cab. But before I got to the engine bay the painter called and said he had an open slot and wanted the truck ASAP. So I'm going to need to do the engine bay after I get it back. Hopefully the painter remembers to do the inside too. I keep forgetting to talk with him about that.

361 - 380 of 497 Posts