VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
381 - 400 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 · (Edited)
Not to get off topic, but what year Porsche is that, air cooled I assume 70ies? They had Factory AC?
1972 911T. A/C was an available factory option from 1969-on. Not a very commonly ordered option at all, though.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
All bodywork completed. A bit more blocking, then color. Might see color this week, but probably the following week.

Netbook Automotive design Office equipment Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Window

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car

Painter wanted to know if I wanted to add a custom beak nose...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
You know, there was a time—decades back—that I would have jumped straight to the Seahawk connection as well. But I guess I've outgrown football, haven't watched any in years. So when I saw that hood, I didn't think about the 'hawks, but I did start looking around the paint shop to find the '39 Ford that it belonged to...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
I do not do football or any other sports [well, I do like watching the Tour de France] but living in this area, you have no choice to learn the lingo.
Ahh, I get that. Down here I've resigned myself to never owning a car that is painted green. Locally that's a sure sign of a rabid Duck fan. Which I am definitely not.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
I'm still here, but I still don't have the little truck back yet. Not even painted. The painter has been backed up with collision work. Those insurance jobs are what pays most of the bills, and since the insurance companies put short deadlines on those jobs (to minimize their car rental reimbursements), they have priority over project work like mine. I'm hoping he will get back on it soon.

In the meanwhile, I've got both of the seats at a shop getting the worn bolsters repaired, and the confetti-pattern center inserts replaced. The seats should be done in a week or so.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I suspect they will not touch it until Spring.

You are correct, insurance jobs keep the money flowing and since most business' need a profit to keep the doors open, you must respect that. Many people, that want a complete paint job like yours, cannot stomach the time/cost and complain. All these complaints add up so many shops no longer take on that kind of work.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong. I understand this and expect it. I've done this several times before, it's nothing new. A job like mine has to be slotted in between the other work. While I'd prefer to have it back ASAP, these delays are totally normal. I do believe I'll get it sooner than Spring, but will just need to try to be patient.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My shop’s lot is absolutely packed, but the kicker is they can’t work on too much, because of the lack of available parts. He can’t turn down the work, because of his contracts with the insurance companies and the dealerships, he’s certified to work for.

Dealerships who have parts, don’t want to sell them, because they may need them.…. crazy times.

I mentioned getting the GTI painted, and got a vague response, lol.

-Todd

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Meh, painting a car isn't so hard. 😉

And I thought I was taking a long time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
As it turns out, I was was planning to pay the shop a visit on Monday or Tuesday, but the painter called me this afternoon. Final blocking is almost done, and the paint has been ordered. He first said he might have some color laid down by Thursday next week, then backed off that and said probably a week from tomorrow instead. Stand by...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Not yet. No real surprise. Still waiting.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Still nothing to show on the paint, but I did get the seats back today!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Head restraint Automotive design

381 - 400 of 497 Posts