VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
401 - 420 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
They did plenty. My work was never intended to be final, I was just doing the structural and major rust repair. Not sure how much that really saved me, but I had fun and learned a lot.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Sounds like some progress has been made. Stand by for pics tomorrow... o_O

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
The truck wasn't sitting where I could get good pictures. But it is painted, and I can see that it's going to look great once the final wet sanding and buffing is done. New bedliner will be laid down late next week. Well... that's the plan as of now. These things can change at a busy body/paint shop.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
BAT is going to lose its collective mind. I assume that's where this is heading.
Good chance, yes. Mostly because it's going to be really hard to come up with a price.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Well, stand by and cross your fingers. The word is that I may be able to bring the truck back home later this week.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Well, stand by and cross your fingers. The word is that I may be able to bring the truck back home later this week.
And then the fun really begins. 👍

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Well, most of the functional stuff was done before I took it to the painter. So making it run and drive will mostly be bolting the needed parts back on (other than the entropy from several months of sitting idle). More cosmetics than anything else.

Reactions: Seomobster

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
New roll pan, all the way from the UK, since it's going to be a while before there are any made in the US.

Product Wood Rectangle Tool Beige

Reactions: tburie.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
When a body shop says it will be done by the end of the week, usually means next month. I look forward to the progress whenever it starts back up again.
Talked to the painter today, the end has slipped to Monday. Which I fully expected. But I seriously believe it will be done in days, not weeks. We are that close.

And yes, I'm eager to get back on it as well.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Paid it a visit today. Final wet sand and buff should happen tomorrow. Looking good for me to start reinstalling the minimal parts on Monday needed to drive it home. Of course, after sitting all this time, it's not starting well right now either. I'll need to address that as well. But once I get it home, things will be better.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Great news, but also terrible news if it were me, lol. I kinda hate the reassembly part. Long and tedious, but good paint jobs definitely require disassembly.… no way around it.

Now you get to pull the engine!

-Todd

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Not sure what I want to do about the engine. More decisions to make once I get it home.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When a body shop says it will be done by the end of the week, usually means next month.
I can agree with this. I work at a shop that does restorations on aircooled vw's and when the painter says a couple months, it usually turns into a year 😂. To be fair, it's usually because there's tons of hidden rust, and he seam seals every joint in the car and undercoats them. Every bus we do just hums down the road with no rattles.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I've worked with many body shops, mostly had to fix their mechanical/electrical screw ups, so I built a really good relationship with most of them. It's a tough business to be on a timeline. Patience will get you through the ordeal. It will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
The "mechanical/electrical screw ups" are why I do the disassembly and reassembly myself.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Smart. When I had my Cabriolet painted, I went to the bodyshop and took everything apart. A lot like what you did but I was at their shop. Very little tape was needed. If I recall, it was at the shop over a year.

401 - 420 of 497 Posts