VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Tweaked the shift tower adjustment to give a touch more throw before hitting the reverse lockout pawl. Then straightened the steering wheel. Tomorrow I'll start on the fuel sender before lunch.

I forgot to mention in the post above, it's been raining pretty much all day here. Not only did the truck stay dry inside, both the defrosters and the wipers worked adequately!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
...and the fuel sender has been replaced. I cheated and did not drain the tank first, largely because I don't have a suitable container to hold the fuel. I was guessing there was between 4 and 6 gallons in it, and figured I could manhandle it a bit. Turns out I was correct on both counts. Nice to have a working gauge.
Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part Automotive design Machine

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Yes, I swapped them, and no, the light is not hooked up.

Reactions: fastinradford

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
Installed a new Chinese-made Hella dome light, and then had to clean and tweak the door switches to make it work. Both doors now activate the light.

Received the vent duct parts, although one may be wrong. Still working through that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
What I believe to be the correct vent duct is on its way now, should be here by mid-week.

I've been working on the engine compartment over the past few days, making some progress. It's never going to be pristine, but that's not really my goal. It does need to look presentable, though.

Flashback to when I bought it:

Earlier today:
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

Still some work to do here, but getting closer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
And how can you have a Bunny Truck without bunnies?
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
More progress. Fresh oil and filter today, after a good 25 mile warm-up run. First time for the Bunny Truck on the freeway since I bought it, so probably first time in over 7 years. A 2H five speed makes for a busy cruise, turning almost 3700 RPM at 70.

More under hood cleanup happening, and I picked up a free plug wire loom to make things a touch more organized there.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Installed the vent duct today, and making the tailgate latch work a little. The little truck is complete in all essentials. I'm going to spend a little time picking away at some little things, some more cleaning, then figure out how and where to market it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 · (Edited)
I posted pretty much this same note as above with some pics on a couple of the Facebook groups, and the requests for price have been rolling in. Whether anyone will pay what I'm going to ask is a totally different question.
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 · (Edited)
I'm wrapping up the last of the loose ends now, and need to make a decision on where I try to sell it. I'm not going to sell it cheap, so getting it seen by the right people will be key.

I'm not crazy about trying BaT, although nice Caddys seem to do well there. But I'm not 100% sure mine is quite in the same category as some of the recent top sales. But if not that, then where do I get the traffic I'll need? Classifieds here on Vortex? Maybe. Craigslist? Too local, limited audience and way too many flakes. FB Marketplace? Bigger audience than Craigslist, but even higher percentage of flakes, from what I can see.

Thoughts?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Car

·
Registered
98 Posts
First, I wish I had the $$$ to buy this from you, it's pretty much exactly what I want.

That being said - I think if you want top $$$, BAT is probably a great bet for you. The key is to take TONS of photos. I would strongly consider paying a pro or semi-pro to take a good 40-50 photos. The better the presentation, the more $$$ will show up. Look at some of the top people that sell on there - tons of high quality photos, a few driving videos, and they pay attention to their auctions by answering questions in a timely manor, often with additional photos.

I think your truck is as good as just about any of the top dollar trucks that have sold on there, probably better.

Just my $.02 - that you didn't ask for. ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 · (Edited)
Just my $.02 - that you didn't ask for. ;)
I welcome your thoughts, as they allow me to consider other ideas, and weigh them against my own.
First, I wish I had the $$$ to buy this from you, it's pretty much exactly what I want.
Well, it is a good package, but only if your tastes are similar to mine. If they are, you'll love it. That said, I've left several parts of it somewhat unfinished, basic, or in "minimalist" condition. Intentionally, as going much farther than I have risks making the target audience smaller. No stereo, for one example; or totally stock suspension with stock ride height. The interior is a bit spartan, other than the carpet and door cards the rest is unadorned and industrial. And last is the stock Motronic injection. Since good parts for that system are pretty much like hen's teeth now, it really ought to be converted to EFI or maybe bike carbs. But since I have it running pretty well now, I'll leave that decision for the next owner.

Because once I address any of these items, whatever I do will suit some, but turn off others. For example, if I put coil-overs and drop plates on it, guys that want air bags are going to think twice about it.

This type of consideration is why I have stopped now. If I were going to keep it for myself, I'd go a little farther on some of these things.
That being said - I think if you want top $$$, BAT is probably a great bet for you. The key is to take TONS of photos. I would strongly consider paying a pro or semi-pro to take a good 40-50 photos. The better the presentation, the more $$$ will show up. Look at some of the top people that sell on there - tons of high quality photos, a few driving videos, and they pay attention to their auctions by answering questions in a timely manor, often with additional photos.
I'm familiar with what makes a successful listing on BaT, as I've actually sold one of my prior projects there. (1964 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40) A seller does need to put some effort into it to get good results, which is OK. But BaT is so successful now that the lead time is horrible, often 8 weeks or more.

And then there is the issue of reserve price—BaT is rather stingy on how high a reserve they will allow. And in this case, I would probably have to sell it no-reserve because the title was branded back in 2005 due to a VIN discrepancy. A prior owner 2 or 3 times removed had replaced the original badly cracked dash pad with one from a donor Rabbit, but left the donor's VIN on the dash pad. Oregon DMV decided that the dash VIN was not valid and titled it using the VIN stamped on the rain tray, but branded the title and added an assigned VIN sticker on the door jamb to show that. So BaT (and Cars&Bids as well) will only want to sell no-reserve.

And while I'm not totally profit driven on this (I restore vehicles for fun, not to make a living), I don't want to sell at a big loss if I can avoid it. So no reserve is a bit scary.

I think your truck is as good as just about any of the top dollar trucks that have sold on there, probably better.
In many ways, yes. In others, perhaps not. And of course, no one knows where it may fall short better than I do. My wife maintains this is one of my faults, I'm way to ready to sell my efforts short. I need to fight this tendency, because I really do build nice cars.

Oh yes, there is one serious consideration for selling it nationwide—there'd be no easy way to get this truck smogged in California or other states that test and inspect the way CA does. I wouldn't even recommend trying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't we all undervalue our own work? It's human nature, and it's something all of us have to stop doing. If everything was easy, everyone would be doing "it" - and that's the truth!

I will say - I wouldn't let your last point stop you too much. I helped a very close friend import a Vangon double cab pickup from Germany, put a Subary SVX flat 6 in it, and get it registered including passing smog in California about 10 years ago. The fact that you have the stock 16V in there with the stock FI would make it pretty easy to get it to pass smog in CA. It'll just have to meet smog requirements for whatever year to motor was manufactured.

Plus, if the buyer is in another state that requires smog or inspections - as a seller - that's not really your problem. Just be open and honest about that when you are selling it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 · (Edited)
Still fiddling with the fuel system prior to putting it on the market, as I'd really like to get the warm idle under control. I think I'm making some progress on this, but the jury is still out.

I also think I've got my asking price figured out for direct sales. I think I'm going to throw it out in the public first, see if I get any good bites. If no real prospects appear after 2-3 weeks, then I can figure that either my pricing is out of line, or that I need a bigger audience. In that case, going to BaT or C&B at no reserve answers both issues.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire

Reactions: mokoosh
481 - 497 of 497 Posts