VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a matter of course, I have to drive through LA at least once a week. No big deal, I think my whole life has been that way -- at least now I'm driving and can dictate potty-breaks and junk-food frenzies http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Well, there's such a thing as a "car-pool" lane. In some places, this is akin to the "HOV - High Occupany Vehicle" lane. In California, this lane is usually to the left-most side of the highway, and denoted with double-yellow lines, and sometimes quadruple yellow lines. Usually about 1/4 Mile to each exit, there is a merging zone denoted by dotted white lines. These are there for people to exit the HOV lane and make and exit, and other motorists in the regular lanes (who meet the HOV criteria) to merge into the HOV lane.
So here's the problem: People who don't respect the friggin yellow lines!!!

I can't count how many times I've been driving along in the regular lanes (I usually drive alone) and I'll have to break, swerve, or somehow compensate, for a bumbling idiot who decides they are suddenly unhappy with the HOV lane, despite being 2 miiles from the next merging zone and have 6 feet worth of yellow lines and reflectors between them and I!!! GRR!!!
Speeding, driving fast, whatever.. It's nowhere near as dangerous as changing lanes without signaling. Couple that illegal-lane change with a random vehiclee violating the sanctity of the yellow lines, and we're talking carnage http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

It's really frustrating that people treat those lines with such flagarant disrespect. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Do they not realize that in order for our highways to be safe (andd efficient) we need to take certain responsibilities and trusts by our own accords? When I am passing someone at 80mph in the pasing lane, I should have 0% reservation because of a vehicle travelling at 65mph behind quadruple yellow lines suddenly swerving into me (ON PURPOSE). I understand defensive driving, and believe me, that's why I've made it thus far. But it's entirely unreasonable to expect a licensed driver to purposefully decide to cross those yellow lines with total disregard for his/her surroundings, often without signalling and usually at a slower pace! Is your happy meal that important? GRRRRRR>..

I try my hardest to stay calm, but I would really, REALLY, like a big glove on a stick that fires off like a mousetrap

So, let me hear it.. What are your "clueless morons" in the HOV lane stories?
I've got plenty more.. A few start with "So this taxi cab.." And some more go like, "This middle aged woman on her cell phone in a Yukon.." (That was today as well by the way!)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (PsyberVW)

I was in the left lane on I-84 coming into Hartford, CT - on my way to NY from Boston. There was a bus in the HOV lane to my left, about 20 car-lengths back.
Well, suddenly, I see flashing white/red/white/red/white/red lights in my mirror. I think "ambulance"... However, these lights are gaining on me rapidly. I think "ambulance hauling ass".
WRONG...
it was Headlight/Brakelight/Headlight/Brakelight of a ford taurus that had attempted to pass the bus at ludicrous-speed in the sandy/dirty HOV shoulder, and LOST IT BIGTIME!!! The taurus must have been going ~120mph and it spun nearly 7 times, and was still closing on me during most of the event!! He got soo close to the back of my car (I'm doing ~80mph) that I could hear him skidding over my stereo...
I should have pulled over and made him clean my pants...

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (rx7racr)

Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »
I should have pulled over and made him clean my pants...

·
Registered
209 Posts
just curious. why is there an extra solid white line left of the double yellow?
HOV LANE | solid white | solid yellow | solid yellow | LEFT LANE

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
Re: (jli585)

We don't have that problem here in Houston... most our HOV lanes a seperated by a concrete barrier. I'd like to see anyone try and merge through one of those

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Hrmm.... Up here, our HOV lane is separated by a SOLID white line, that becomes the standard broken white line before exits.
No one seems to even notice the solid line around here=[

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,339 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jli585 »

The US standard for lane markings requires the the line on the right edge of your lane be white, and that yellow denote the left and/or a line you should not cross.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: (Chmeeee)

You didn't mention the other way the double/quadruple yellow lines are disrespected:
Drivers in the left lane jumping into the car pool lane across the double/quadruple yellow lines. This usually happens when traffic is at a crawl in the normal traffic lanes, so the speed differential between someone in the carpool lane and someone just entering from a near dead stop can be huge. It's one thing to expect this in the entry/exit zone, but it's entirely different to have that going on in the stretches of open road "protected" by the double yellow.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

What is this "HOV Lane" of which you speak?

(Around here we just have the idjits that won't move out of the passing lane, but that's another rant altogether
)
(and yes, I was kidding)

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (xdre)

when i associate the terms "carpool lane" and "clueless imbecile" i immediately think of the idiots who drive 55 in the carpool lane, getting passed by even the slowest people in the regular lane, and trapping me behind them

·
Super Moderator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,397 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (pman81)

Quote, originally posted by pman81 »
when i associate the terms "carpool lane" and "clueless imbecile" i immediately think of the idiots who drive 55 in the carpool lane, getting passed by even the slowest people in the regular lane, and trapping me behind them

That happens a ton here in Phoenix where there is either an old person in a big old Amerrucun car or a band of hillbillies in a new pickup truck struggling along at 55 mph in the HOV lane.
I will confess however that I have on very rare occasion stepped up and violated the sacred trust of the HOV lane; when there is a solid line of people hanging out in the passing lane holding up traffic I have gotten into the HOV lane and passed all of them and then merged back into the proper flow of traffic.
That probably makes me just as bad but I justify it by saying that I am not impeding anyone's progress.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I see both sides of this. In the bay area we don't have the huge dividers. What we do have is stationary traffic on the right and car pooling at 65 (+) when some moron decides he can't wait any more and pulls into the car pool lane. My constant nightmare on the weeks I drive. The other thing is the idiot who has all day to cruise along at 55, fortunately we can pass on the right when that happens because there are just regular lane markings.
There's also some guy in an electric Golf! He can drive in the car pool lane on his own, so he's stuck a bloody electrical socket (actually technically it's probably a fixed plug) where his gas filler used to be and plastered "ELECTRIC VEHICLE" on the back. But he's slow. And he's obviously some pinko communist if he doesn't want to burn gas!
Mostly it works fine, makes my 90-100 minute solo commute into a more bearable 55 minutes for 49 miles.
For the violators, I have a camera and I use it when I'm passanger!

·
Registered
850 Posts

You will be happy to know that moving in and out of the SoCal carpool lanes when it is the solid quadruple yellow lines is a fat ticket. Somewhere around $350. And it is not one of those offenses that a highway patrolman might see and let slide (like speeding).
I am not a fan of the carpool lane, unless there is actual traffic (it's more like the 65mph minivan lane in my experience). But let it be known that if someone moves in or out of the lane where they are not supposed to and gets caught, they will pay nicely.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (val98m3sc)

Having lived in the car pool lanes for nearly a year (but only 90 minutes a day) I can tell you for a fact that your chances of actually getting pulled over are pretty damned small.
I have violated the car pool rules three times.
First time I had been here three days, trying to get back to Alameda and ended up on the I80 to SF, tried to take the last exit to Oakland and ended up in the car pool lane instead. Well, it bypasses the exit I wanted and I didn't have any cash anyway, so now what do I do. At the time I was past the toll booths by the time I realized it wasn't the exit.
Second: on the 4th of July weekend last year, I thought it was a Saturday and I was in and out until I suddenly remembered it wasn't. Fortunately there was hardly any traffic.
Third: when there were two of us as usual but we were heading up the Berkeley on I-80... well that's a 3 person car pool... eventually we got a good look at the signs. Erk.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (Geordie)

Quote, originally posted by Geordie »
Having lived in the car pool lanes for nearly a year (but only 90 minutes a day) I can tell you for a fact that your chances of actually getting pulled over are pretty damned small.
I have violated the car pool rules three times.
First time I had been here three days, trying to get back to Alameda and ended up on the I80 to SF, tried to take the last exit to Oakland and ended up in the car pool lane instead. Well, it bypasses the exit I wanted and I didn't have any cash anyway, so now what do I do. At the time I was past the toll booths by the time I realized it wasn't the exit.
Second: on the 4th of July weekend last year, I thought it was a Saturday and I was in and out until I suddenly remembered it wasn't. Fortunately there was hardly any traffic.
Third: when there were two of us as usual but we were heading up the Berkeley on I-80... well that's a 3 person car pool... eventually we got a good look at the signs. Erk.

All honest mistakes, you're definately forgiven.
In Virginia, there are both HOV-2 and HOV-3 lanes, but I see violators all the time. Every couple of months, cops will cluster around exits and pull over droves of violators. That seems to work for a few days, but then its back to normal!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
what if your exit comes up between the merging zones? I've had to get out of it before the merging zones before but I signal, look over my shoulder and wait for somewhere to get into regular traffic; which is what people should do anyway...

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote, originally posted by jli585 »

This is so that you know you are on the correct side of the road (especially good in the fog).
Your right hand side will always have a solid white line. If there isn't a solid white line to your right, you can assume you are on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The Car Pool Lane ~vs~ Clueless Imbeciles (pman81)

Quote, originally posted by pman81 »

That doesn't bother me. The carpool lane isn't the "no holds barred all-out pedal mashing lane". The premise is that in bumper to bumper traffic, you don't have to worry about slowing down for merging traffic, etc.. It's more annoying when people get in the HOV lane and try to do 90mph and zig-zag in and out. You may as well just stay on the regular lanes.
Of course, the opposite is also true. If the traffic on the highway is moving along at 70-75mph, there is absolutely no need for you to camp in the HOV lanes. Ideally, they should be empty if the flow of traffic is at or above the posted limit.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (ponyone)

Quote, originally posted by ponyone »
what if your exit comes up between the merging zones? I've had to get out of it before the merging zones before but I signal, look over my shoulder and wait for somewhere to get into regular traffic; which is what people should do anyway...

If it were me.. I'd have planned this out ahead and I'd know exactly where my exit is. When I see it listed on the green overhead signs, I'd exit at the next available chance, even a mile or more before hand, to give myself time to merge back across 6 lanes of traffic.
But that me, and I'm anal about this crap.. I could see someone poissibly needing to exit the lane by emergency, etc.. I just hope they are considerate enough to signal and cautious enough not to pull into somone's way. Which reminds me...
Car Pool lane pet peeve #2
The guy changing a flat tire in the HOV lane!
I can't count how many time's I've come off southbound I-5 onto SB -405 and taken the first entrance to the carpool lane, only to find somewhere just before the hill, somone is changing a tire in the HOV lane! GGRR!!! Some people like to die

·
Super Moderator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,397 Posts
Re: (PsyberVW)

It seems to me that the purpose for the carpool lane is to reward those people who either a) buddy up and have multiple passengers along so that we are saving fuel and resources and b) those of you who have vehicles designed to produce lower emissions and/or get better fuel economy than we gas guzzlers. Seems simple enough to me and oddly enough I personally feel guilty for those few seconds that I slip into the HOV lane to pass a lane of traffic otherwise held up by someone up front who doesn't understand the reason for highways having three plus lanes.... which is odd because I don't have a problem going 20 plus miles an hour over the speed limit.

It seems to me that in a perfect world we wouldn't need HOV lanes if people just managed to look further ahead than the bumper in front of them, obeyed simple rules of lane control, and used their turn signals. Instead the HOV lanes are viewed as being some place that people dwell regardless of the decent flow of traffic that exists alongside of them. In the next best scenario people who were in HOV qualified vehicles would carefully slip into those lanes when traffic around them ground to a halt and then slip back into traffic when it freed up ahead of them.... but then I wake up from my dream.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts