VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
It depends on what kind of deal you can find. Explorer Cases are made in Italy and have much better deals out there compared to Pelican/Storm.

Nice soft cases that aren’t Chinesium can be pretty spendy...

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ Hard case.

Especially is disassembly/assembly is easy, then you can fit everything in a smaller/shorter case.

I've been eyeballing this Ridgid brand one, but haven't gone as far as measuring the interior to see what we have that would fit it. We have the larger one in the same series for ammo, sidearms, etc. Just a thought. Oh, and they're modular, seal well, snap together well.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
^ Hard case.

Especially is disassembly/assembly is easy, then you can fit everything in a smaller/shorter case.

I've been eyeballing this Ridgid brand one, but haven't gone as far as measuring the interior to see what we have that would fit it. We have the larger one in the same series for ammo, sidearms, etc. Just a thought. Oh, and they're modular, seal well, snap together well.
Yeah, I went down the Rigid idea path. Seemed good, but decided not really my deal.

I have a Glock range bag that fits the handguns and a mag sleeve that holds 10 mags.

With the ARs I need something to carry them. I have some cheap Plano boxes, but currently occupied/called by the .22 and shotty. They're a little flimsy, so I would like something a little more sturdier. I found some Plano boxes on Amazon for ~$110 (44" inch). Those might be the leading contender.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Yeah, we currently have one Plano case that is basically a legal loophole otherwise it's fairly flimsy.

I've been also waiting for a sale at Harbor Freight, they have a nice sturdy long case (Apache) that seems well sized for multiple long guns. I have two of the smaller ones (1800 and 2800) in the same series for pistols, etc.

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ Just saw your other post on the same.

That 36" one is sweet and a great price! Those clasps look pretty sturdy, too. Can you lmk your opinion on them when you
have possession and a minute, please? TIA

Off to measure...

·
Registered
21,158 Posts

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The first Plano case arrived. The 36" one. Wife's gun goes in that. It requires the stock to be fully collapsed to fit. The pick & pull foam has a solid 1" border around the perimeter.

A much better improvement over the flimsy cases I have. Not Pelican-level, but a good price point inbetween.

I got the 42" case. Ordered at the same time, but mine is coming on Sunday, according to the shipping gods of Amazon. Dang it.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ Nice!

The 42" is sounding better to me. I could theoretically fit two with short barrels in there vs. disassembled in the 36". Though I do like how compact it is.

Check out kaizeninserts.com for foam inserts to fit many cases, tool boxes, etc.

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

42" fit.

I just got my RD today, so fingers crossed I left enough room. I wish they'd make some pick-in-pull triangle blocks you can glue in so the shape isn't so 8-bit.

Next step is placing mags, and space for a scope, when I determine which one I want to get.

I got this for my wife's rifle. It popped up on multiple lists for best AR scope. I'm not looking to drop ~$600 on a scope. My RD was the Bushnell Trophy TS-25.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ All very nice!

I'm thinking that 42" is perfect for our Mini-30.

See the website I mentioned for inserts? Maybe not needed for these, but nice for other boxes.

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
^ All very nice!

I'm thinking that 42" is perfect for our Mini-30.

See the website I mentioned for inserts? Maybe not needed for these, but nice for other boxes.
Yeah. I have some foam, I've toyed with having fun with an electric knife, but meh. this'll work.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ I hear ya. Enjoy your new toys!

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
I just got my RD today, so fingers crossed I left enough room. I wish they'd make some pick-in-pull triangle blocks you can glue in so the shape isn't so 8-bit.
Get a thin hot knife and cut the cubes into triangles.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Thanks, SCOTUS. 10 gun cases up for review and they sent them all back.

Thinking next viable firearm for the lady will be the G48.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
Thanks, SCOTUS. 10 gun cases up for review and they sent them all back.

Thinking next viable firearm for the lady will be the G48.
I saw a theory that the "conservatives" on the bench can't trust Roberts as a swing vote... So it was better to ****can those cases than possibly lose them completely.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sort of a deal alert...Amazon has the Pelican 1750 (50" length) hard case on for $215. That's 20% off in black and desert tan. :cool: Ordered a tan one.

I've never had a Pelican but they seem to be at or near the top of the line. Excited to see if it is all that.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ I have a couple of small Pelican cases and they're solid. I've trusted them with phones, cameras, passports, etc., in water and they've never failed.

·
17,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Sort of a deal alert...Amazon has the Pelican 1750 (50" length) hard case on for $215. That's 20% off in black and desert tan. :cool: Ordered a tan one.

I've never had a Pelican but they seem to be at or near the top of the line. Excited to see if it is all that.
Nice.

Waited about 45 mins to get into the store today - they're limiting it to 4 people inside. Wife picked up a G48. I got an Aero lower in FDE and Anderson lower in black. Longer-term project(s).

Went to the range with some friends. Shot a P90. Interesting gun. Even more interesting was the RD battery went dead. Blind fire? Sure. I at least hit the paper at 20 yards. :laugh:

101 - 120 of 131 Posts