VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
681 - 691 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey Brian

I had a thought yesterday, is it possible to use your new bonded sand as a solid block, and your CNC to machine out the shape of the things you want to cast, presumably with a vacuum nozzle sucking up the debris instead of a water feed lubing it?

I just thought for your future cylinder head project, you could get the thing designed in CAD, and transfer it straight to the CNC to machine out the molds and cores and go straight to casting?

Andy
You could do that Andy, with some sort of cutter, but far easier to make the patterns instead since you then too only have to machine them once - you can then pull as many castings off them as you like. If you were to machine the sand, you would have to do it every time for a new same casting. 3d profiling can take hours.

Im guessing Ill need more than one, good to have spare raw castings should some be non usable, or if I screw up machining one:eek:

Good idea all the same,

Brian,

·
Registered
1 Posts
raor brilliance of people on this forum

Just have to say I'm overwhelm reading this thread of the raor brilliance of people on this forum
My eye balls dilated on some of the workmanship and skill levels i could only dream of.
Keep up the fantastic work guys will be reading more and more went through all 20 pages of this thread.
DDDDAAAAMMMM i wish I has this skill level , I can barely start a lathe/mill just find the on/off switch.

cheers

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just have to say I'm overwhelm reading this thread of the raor brilliance of people on this forum
My eye balls dilated on some of the workmanship and skill levels i could only dream of.
Keep up the fantastic work guys will be reading more and more went through all 20 pages of this thread.
DDDDAAAAMMMM i wish I has this skill level , I can barely start a lathe/mill just find the on/off switch.

cheers
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6904660-16v-variable-runner-intake-manifold

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sitting over here in chicago working nights reading up on VEMS and other stuff on the project pad and this thread turns up, don't know how I missed it but so flippin cool to see something of this caliber coming from home. Amazing work. Haven't been on vagdrivers since I hopped on the plane here in '09, will have to go search for this now!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sitting over here in chicago working nights reading up on VEMS and other stuff on the project pad and this thread turns up, don't know how I missed it but so flippin cool to see something of this caliber coming from home. Amazing work. Haven't been on vagdrivers since I hopped on the plane here in '09, will have to go search for this now!!!!
Love that City! Im there now and again - we should meet up:D

Where are you from?

Brian,

681 - 691 of 691 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.