VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

· Registered
1,072 Posts
just posted in my own thread about my 93 clutch problem but I figured Id post here to get more attention...

So I bought a 98 passat brake master and it is the correct part for the corrado according to the corrado brake bible thread, so I got this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230798105119?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Doesnt look like it has enough holes for the lines coming out of it, and I didnt realize this until I got it. I want to upgrade to the passat one but I now have no idea which ones will fit the corrado.

If you look at what I think is the end of the cylinder I have now, there is a plug, is that for ABS?

This is the new one, looks different and I doubt it will work....

Please help on the passat upgrade (23.81 mm)! I am doing the lines, slave, and fluid obviously, but I still need this!

· Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,339 Posts
Return that m/c. Not sure what you referenced to purchase it. You'll need the OE Corrado m/c for OE Corrado girling 54 calipers up front or ....

A 25.4 m/c from an Audi if you're going to use twin pot girling 60 or R32 twin pot calipers up front.

here is what i have found::
the "old style wide mount MC and brake booster can use these I BELIEVE, not 100%:
447 611 021 25.4mm
443 611 021 23.8mm
newer style brake boosters can use these:
441 611 021b 25.4mm
441 611 021a 25.4mm
4A0 611 021 23.8mm
there are several more as well...
i can get these shipped to your door anywhere from 50 bucks up to 250bucks brand new....almost all are made by Ate'

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Maybe I am re-stating the obvious, but you can't upgrade your master cyl if you still have ABS (based on your picture). The u/g is for people who converted to non-ABS.

Now, that MC "may" be from a car that has ABS, but keep in mind that the Corrado used the Teves I/II (which you have II with EDL) and that setup was an electric pump based system. Never used a Vacuum booster or traditional MC like non-ABS cars or later ABS passats and other VWs do which just used an external modulator to control pressure to each channel.

· Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
5,608 Posts
Disclaimer 3:
According to Bentley:
-The factory Corrado (G60 & VR6) ABS brake master cylinder is 20.64mm.
-The factory Corrado non-ABS brake master cylinder is 22.2mm.
-The factory mid-1995 - 1999 mk3 & B4 Passat VR6 brake master cylinder is 23.81mm

When choosing a substantially larger braking setup, it may be worth upgrading to the mid-1995, 1996-97 B4 and mk3 VR6 brake master cylinder. I do not know if this MC is a direct swap for Corrados - it should be, but you can upgrade to the entire TEVAS20 braking system. Corrado is equipped with TEVAS4. Brake boosters are interchangeable on all ABS systems - if seeking a replacement for your Corrado, use the Passat unit as it has the same fork-and-pin attachment to the brake pedal. Mk3s use a ball-and-socket connection.

TEVAS20 features EDL which is a variation on Electronic Brake Distribution. The ABS control unit is attached to the rest of the braking electronics and hard-line distribution block inside the engine bay. The factory Corrado ABS control unit from behind the driver's side kick panel is no longer needed. TEVAS20 also features individual hardlines for each wheel (4), versus the since rear hardline that splits at the rear beam with a proportioning valve.

Wiring updates and information is needed - when I have these, I will add that info.
Just to correct some info here... The brake boosters (and MCs) on all ABS systems are NOT interchangeable. Passat/Mk3 TEVAS20 ABS systems use a vacuum booster. Corrado TEVAS4 ABS systems use NO booster. Assist is provided hydraulically on the TEVAS4 system. The TEVAS20 system from the Passat/Mk3 is a 4 channel system (one channel per wheel), whereas the TEVAS4 system from the Corrado is a 3 channel system (front wheels have individual channels, but both rear wheels are on the same channel, hence the single brake line to the rear).

Corrado Club of Canada has a nice thread on upgrading the 3 channel system to a 4 channel system from a Passat/Mk3.
http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5943

· Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,339 Posts
Right click on TEVES and select "add to dictionary".

TEVES is the Contineltal Tire Co for ABS, TCS & ESP. TEVAS is a pharmasutical company and a shoe manufacturer that makes these.

Yes, some of my other posts do show TEVAS before I caught on to spell check's sneaky ways. TEVAS are more popular than ABS obviously.

· Registered
775 Posts
Awesome Bible!

So I am excited to have found all this info in one spot! Read through it and have a question or two.

From all the reading and thinking I think I know which direction I will take. I have Corrado with plus suspension and 4x100 (it will be). So I also have Girling 60s. Reading all the weights and stuff I think I can stay with the 60s and have near OE or better weight if I use a 2 piece rotor. Some applications for this car look like 2.5lbs lighter on each rotor so I would make up the weight difference of the 60s over 54s. I am looking for some place that would do a custom PCD on a VR6 brake hat. Do you guys know of any?

Also, I looked at the couple of MCs that were listed as upgrade and I am seeing what the other reader reported. They show 3 ports not 4. Is that normal? Do I need to split the line to the back? I am referring to:
newer style brake boosters can use these:
441 611 021b 25.4mm
441 611 021a 25.4mm

after reading this I am not sure what to do:
petethepug
Return that m/c. Not sure what you referenced to purchase it. You'll need the OE Corrado m/c for OE Corrado girling 54 calipers up front or ....

A 25.4 m/c from an Audi if you're going to use twin pot girling 60 or R32 twin pot calipers up front.​
Looking at Rock Auto page etc I do not see them with 4 open ports. What did I miss? Any info would be appreciated! thanks

· Registered
8,339 Posts
I have no idea why Rock Auto has only the two port MC's under part # 441611021A. If you look on eBay UK they clearly show the same with 4xM10x1 fittings.

There is someone who sells the rotor set up you need but I can't remember who it is for the life of me.

· Registered
775 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks! So I found one on their site that says 4 ports so I am gonna take a gamble and order that. petethepug keep thinking hard man! lol I need the setup.

· Registered
20,746 Posts
Thread jacking a little here. Starting my non-abs swap first thing in the morning. Can you verify where the other end of the vacuum line to the brake booster should go.
Thanks
The intake manifold. I think on the VR sits on the driverside up front. My motor is a 3.6 and connects to the back of the intake manifold near the firewall.

On the G60 it has a check valve and connects to the front of the intake manifold.

On a TDI it should connect to the vacuum pump.

· Registered
150 Posts
The intake manifold. I think on the VR sits on the driverside up front. My motor is a 3.6 and connects to the back of the intake manifold near the firewall.

On the G60 it has a check valve and connects to the front of the intake manifold.

On a TDI it should connect to the vacuum pump.
Do you know if its tee'd into another line or straight to intake?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Do you know if its tee'd into another line or straight to intake?

You have a VR? There's a big port on the front driver's corner of the intake. The vacuum booster goes there. A few small vacuum lines for the EGR and heater sliders are Tee-d into the vacuum line just like your old vacuum line. There should be a check valve with the arrow pointing towards the engine close to the vacuum booster.
You could possibly source a vacuum line from a B4 Passat VR and use that.

· Registered
150 Posts
You have a VR? There's a big port on the front driver's corner of the intake. The vacuum booster goes there. A few small vacuum lines for the EGR and heater sliders are Tee-d into the vacuum line just like your old vacuum line. There should be a check valve with the arrow pointing towards the engine close to the vacuum booster.
You could possibly source a vacuum line from a B4 Passat VR and use that.
Yup. VR.
Thanks for replying. Going to get everything installed and look for a vacuun line after.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts