VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First some background:
My dad bought my truck for me when I was 16, back in '02 or '03. It had 1.6 NA diesel and a 5-speed. We swapped out the the 1.6 NA for a 1.6 TD when the former blew a head gasket. When diesel went to $2 a gallon ('04 I think) we converted it to run on WVO. I joined the navy in 09 and decided I didn't have time to keep gathering and filtering oil so I removed the WVO conversion. This truck was my DD until the past two years. I didn't want to take it to New York and subject it to snow, and I didn't want to risk the storm damage in Norfolk. That and people's total lack or respect for others property. My S4 has already been doored a few times and I take the time park properly.

My dad was still driving my Rabbit while I was away and blew the head gasket. Just a week later he talked to the local VW mechanic and was informed of a 2000 Jetta TDI with a 5-speed that had been hit in the front and that the owner wanted $2000. My brother was considering buying it to swap his Jetta to a manual. (My entire immediate family save my sister has a MK4 Jetta TDI. My Grandmother's is the only manual.) I beat him to it though. I'm putting the motor and tranny into my caddy, and that's where I am today.

The truck how I got it and how it remained until about '07:

Interior behind the name:

Bay shot of the 1.6 TD with the SVO conversion:

After some lady drove he S10 into my passenger door I finally swapped the gold doors I got with the truck onto it, and painted the hood black since I thought it would look better than the white did. Some of my friends were kinda dissapointed. They said my white doors and hoods were iconic. :rolleyes:

When I got to Charleston after boot camp my brother hauled my truck over for me and as a surprise my parents had gotten it painted for me. Also they hadn't put anything back on that the removed for prepping it so I had to put all the lights back on, the bumper and the door handles. Soon there after I bought the toolbox and the bedliner.

Here are the pictures my dad emailed of the Jetta to the ship:

The two meet:

I thought the Jetta had been sitting for two months, turns out it was more like two years. Some one had a little home under the hood. In fact I found nuts pretty much everywhere in the engine bay.

And some in the trunk:

I discovered a hazard to owning a MK4 TDI Jetta the first day I looked at the car. My brother, dad, mom, and grandmother all own one and someone helped themselves to some parts. Dad says it was my brother that took them, but that dad used them on his car. (I think it was just the lights anyways.)

Interior shot before I start taking it to pieces:

Got it on the rack and the front off for easy access:

Discovered the oil filter enclosure had been broken:

Pulled off the front wheels to find slotted rotors:

Picked it up all the way to find this lovely muffler skillfully made out of a piece of pipe. ;)

Noticed a spot on the oil pan for a sending unit. I had changed the oil in my S4 the same morning which had an identical spot when had a sending unit installed which I think was for oil temperature.

Broken electrical box that I haven't looked up yet:

Only part of the wiring harness I haven't disconnected was the part going through the firewall. It was late and the car is hard to get into on the rack.

Stopping point for last night:

I'll be getting the motor out the caddy today after finishing up on the jetta. Will be taking a look and seeing how I'm going to go about mounting the thing. I know WRD make some mounts for the tranny side (I have an 02J), but I haven't seen that anyone makes anything for the motor side. I would think with how common putting more modern motors into these is becoming that someone would have one available. I'm hoping it's just so simple that no one had bothered. Might fab all of them.

I've been reading swap threads and they read some conflicting things about the axles. All of them talk about using the ones with a 100mm flange (16v scirocco?) but the difference arises when it come to the outer CV joint. I'm wondering if I can use the whole axle or do i have to use the outer CV joint from the 90mm axle. If I do, am I supposed to swap the whole CV or can i just take of the outer portion the has the splines? I'll probably just end up buying the axles and figuring it out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to use the original fan, so I don't really know yet how I am going to set it up. I need look at the schematics and read up a bit before deciding.

Didn't really get much done today. I'm home on leave right now so spending time with friends and family takes the top priority, but this is second. I did manage to get the motor out though. Just put a cart under it and some wooden blocks. Set the car down to get the load off the mounts and then took off the bolts going into the motor and tranny, leaving the mounts in the bay. Also took off the shifting linkage. Wonder if I can retain my MK1 boot and MK2 shifter knob.

·
Registered
179 Posts
cool project. I swapped a tdi into my rabbit, well worth the effort, you'll love it.

I'm not sure if the ALH has the same bolt holes as the 1Z I swapped, but if it does the engine mount is very easy. Just use your stock 1.6 diesel mount. You'll need to cut the pump mount side of the bracket off, and trim the timing cover on the tdi too. I have a pic somewhere on a local forum.

100mm axles work fine. You might have to clearance your outer cv to fit the spindle, or machine the spindle...otherwise the outer cv ends up binding on the spindle. There are several threads on that I believe, probably can find 'em searching for 02a swap or 02j swap.

Good luck :cool::thumbup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to be using the MK4 harness under the hood. The rest I hope to leave original. I want to take everything that would cause a CEL due to being absent and make a box to replicate input to the ECU. That way I can maintain functionality of the CEL. For my cluster I plan to use the MK4 cluster. I want to change the lighting from blue to green and also make my own faceplate using the font and coloring from the original cluster. (Which if anyone knows if a good scan is available that would be immensely useful. The clock is missing a 5,6, and 7 and the speedometer would require removal of the pegs for a proper scan. I don't think they are meant to be removed.) I'm even considering replacing the needles with those from the MK1 cluster; I just need to see if it is feasible.

Today I went shopping and bought some stuff for replacing the timing belt. Took out the seats for some room. Piddled around pulling off little things here and there: ECU, clutch pedal/master cylinder. Forgot to take pictures of them though. Clutch master cylinder has a line going to the brake master cylinder for fluid, yet another thing I'm going to have to rig somehow.

Also, since I still have the power steering pump I'm think of taking power steering from a late cabby and making it work. Just need to find one. Though power steering isn't that big a deal for me. It would just make running the belt a bit simpler since it would remain stock.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the harness out of the Jetta. That took longer than any engine I've ever pulled. Ended up just cutting it at the B-pillar with the exception of the fuel tank sending unit wires. There's no connector it just keeps going and going. My trunk lid is jammed shut and is now full of all the trim we took off so it seemed just too much of a hassle to get the whole harness from the rear when I'm probably just going to end up cutting it off anyways. Didn't take the pedals out, since a special tool (VW T 10006) is required for removal of the brake pedal. I could probably get it off anyways, but I risk breaking it and my dad wanted to get the tool for replacing his brake booster anyways.

This is the last I'll probably get done for a bit since my leave is up. I will hopefully get more leave in February in which I think I will have time to finish. In the mean time I'm going to go ahead and order the mounts from WRD just to save me some time. Also I've ordered the dust kick stickers and the VOLKSWAGEN tailgate sticker which I've been meaning to do since the repaint. I plan to order some new carpet as well, and have asked my dad to take my seats to be reupholstered while I'm at sea.

Really the only thing I see myself wanting after that point is a NOS dash and a red center console.

Almost done:

Finally:

No more wires here:

Here they are:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Excellent! NLS makes mounts for the trans and engine.

Here's an excellent thread on a ALH to mk1 swap. Except his was easier due to using the old 020 trans. You should be able to use later Scirocco axles and steering knuckles with your 02a/j though.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?778864
Is their contact info up to date on their website. Doesn't look like it's been updated since 2008. I'll give them a call this week if I can. Especially if they make all three mount and can beat WRD price. :D

EDIT:
Do those steering knuckles make the outer CV clear? The builds I have read mention grinding things down or swapping the outer CV.

Are you planning on putting a subframe in your truck? I think only the 1z and AHU have the holes for the A1 mounts.

What's your timeline?

-Todd
Don't plan on a subframe for this project. Just going to buy/make adapter mounts. Current plan is to finish in February before I go on deployment. If I don't have that opportunity it will likely have to wait until November then.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back in town. Had some stuff come in while I was gone. Still waiting on a motorside mount from NLS. Also got some tailgate stickers from MK1 Autohaus. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have the stone guards anymore. So I'm looking for some as well as some side trim. For now the priority will be getting the motor in and ready to go. Immediate plans are to replace the timing belt on the TDI while it is out. Also have a new oil filter housing that I can swap now.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Pressed in the rubber for the tranny mount and hung up to paint:

Primered:

First coat: (applied two more but didn't take pictures)

Timing cover off:

Timing belt off:

The nut was stupid hard to get to for removing the valve cover: (I would think something part of routine maintenance would be a bit easier.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.