VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99.5 Double Din

This thread is the new home for all double din center console swap questions, issues, and pics. Any new threads will be removed or merged into this thread. This post has all the information you should need to get going from 99.5blacka4
Quote, originally posted by 99.5blacka4, the new official forum authority on this »

98-99 ---- parts list needed for 00-01 console
front console portion, rear console portion, console cage/mount bracket, e brake handle sleeve, hazard surround, hazard switch, fog light switches, dash cupholder, radio and radio cage, hvac, ashtray, shifter surround and boot, cup holders for the rear portion of the console as well, oh and add cig lighter to that too.
For the ashtray and cupholder lighting, you will need to run or find, a 12v when headlight switch is on, power source and use them.
If you have concert radio, it should plug and play with the symphony, mine did. If you have delta, you will need to get the symphony plugs and using the Bentley, wire them in.
You will need to extend the cig lighter plug and wires to under the console instead of inside of the dash
You must also run a 12volt power source that is on when key is on for the HVAC. I dont know where it goes, but with a Bentley, it wont be hard to figure out. Its used to light up the LCD inside of the prefacelift car.

99.5 -- Parts needed for 00-01 console
front console portion, console mounting cage, radio and radio cage, ashtray, hvac, shifter surround. plug and play baby.. put it in, plug it in and ROLL OUT!
Addendum:
97 -- parts list needed for 00-01 console
same as 98-99 but you must use symphony radio plugs and rewire it into work as they wont plug n play.
Also please add that if they get a Bose symphony and have a non-bose car or vice versa, they must vagcom their radio to their cars preference or some of the speakers wont work.
also
97-99 car if you wanting to add the light up vents, you need the vents and surrounds and plugs. and a 12v source that is on when the marker lights and headlights are on.
to make that whole 'facelift look swap' thing done.

Quote, originally posted by 99.5blacka4's car »

in the end you end up with something like this

I have a 99.5 Audi A4.
I've been looking everywhere, I'm trying to find out if its possible to install a double din on my A4. While not having to do any custom work.
Is there a frame such as a Metra that I can use to install a Double Din?

Modified by robbyb413 at 1:42 PM 12-31-2009

Modified by robbyb413 at 1:04 PM 1/3/2010

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
i have a 99.5 and i'm double din swapped.
you need.
front portion of the console (shifter surround and forward)
shifter surround
ash tray
radio cage
hvac
radio
it is all plug and play.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a picture?
Where can I get all these things?
So a double din wont fit with the plastic trim already existing there?
We have to get all the trim around the area?

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Re: (King666)

Quote, originally posted by King666 »
Do you have a picture?
Where can I get all these things?

no it wont fit as existing
yes, and everything else he listed

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

I will post pic when I get home.
Nope bolt holes for the front part of console are comety wrong.. Only thing reuseable is wiring and fog light, hazard switch, cup holder and the trim piece for that area.
Other then that, the symphony radio and hvac are made to fill the holes no other trim needed.
I have a hvac forsale. No heated seat controls.. Works 100% 50 plus shipping

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote, originally posted by King666 »

if you look in the interiors thread you will see the difference in the interior facelift. the radio is a double din and the hvac controls have been moved to where your ashtray is and the ashtray has been moved down over the shifter. you could swap out for the newer parts or...if you are a non smoker and somewhat crafty you could always take out your ahstray and fiberglass a trim for the hvac into its place. then fiberglass trim for the radio. the only thing you would have to find is the radio casing to hold it up but im sure you could also make something simple to hold that in.
i always thought of a 7" touch screen in my dash and that was my plan.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Re: (threethirteen)

Quote, originally posted by threethirteen »

if you look in the interiors thread you will see the difference in the interior facelift. the radio is a double din and the hvac controls have been moved to where your ashtray is and the ashtray has been moved down over the shifter. you could swap out for the newer parts or...if you are a non smoker and somewhat crafty you could always take out your ahstray and fiberglass a trim for the hvac into its place. then fiberglass trim for the radio. the only thing you would have to find is the radio casing to hold it up but im sure you could also make something simple to hold that in.
i always thought of a 7" touch screen in my dash and that was my plan.

concert is too small to clip into the DD cage.
your thoughts on it wont work.. the 99.5 ashtray wont work either.. its way too wide.
here is a picture of mine swapped.

that picture is old.. my car is all black now. but as you can tell the radio and hvac are big enough there are no other trim pieces except the fog light switch trim

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: (99.5blacka4)

oh, my bad, i was thinking the 99.5 still had the interior of the pre-facelift cars. well, in that case.. the facelift interior is much nicer anyways. just pay for the swap.

Modified by threethirteen at 8:02 PM 3-17-2009

·
Registered
45 Posts
Double Din Radio Conversion

I'm trying to do a conversion to a double din navigation stereo, I have searched very hard but I cannot find any info on it. I know that I have seen information on it before, but for some reason I can't get to it. I have a 98' A4 that I looking to convert into a double din. I've seen that the cliamte controls have to be relocated and I'm also trying to figure out how to make the radio bezel compatible with a double din. Thanks.......

·
Registered
989 Posts
Double Din Conversion....

I have a few questions on the Single Din to Double Din radio conversion...
I have all the hardware need for the conversion my question with the wireing behind. Is everything plug and play if not what wires do I need from the facelift car if any? I have a 99 A4 parts are from a 00 S4..

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Re: (pyongwonse)

If you have a facelift car,
You need
Front console portion
Radio cage
Console cage
Hvac
Ashtray
Shift surround
Yes all completely plug and play.
Prefacelift.. This im not 100% sure on but id say
Whole console (I know the rear portions diff and doesn't mate to the facelift front)
Shift boot
Front and rear fog switches, hazard switch, cup holder (plugs for fog and maybe hazard, will need to be cut and replaces with facelift.. Id repin them but some ppl have no patience.. Your cup holder won't light up either, that wiring is part of the center dash harness)
Hazard bezel
Radio and cage
Console cage
Hvac (1 wire needs added to turn on the lights/display)
Ash tray I don't think it will light up either
Gotta extend your cig lighter harness
Radio plugging in depends.. If you're delta
, no u need to repin.. If its concert....yep works

·
Registered
235 Posts
Need help !!! Center Console swap

My reason for this thread; I have a 1999 A4 I would prefer the 1999.5 -2000 center console with double DIN radio opening. So that I can install my AVIC D3 radio Has anyone ever done a swap of the center console?? will a console from 99.5 -01 fit a 98-99 model?? If swap has been done please post pics if possible or kindly direct me to the right source. My problems is all the switches are there the same connecting wise ????
I apologize if there's already a thread addressing this issue, but as i stated earlier im new. Thanx in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
FV-QR

99.5 isnt double din, it is single din Concert still. but the rear portion is the same as the 00-01. 96-early 99 both front and rear portions of the console are different.
To do the swap in your car
you will need:
front console portion
rear console portion
radio cage
the other cage that holds everything else
fog light switches
hazard switch
dash cup holder
radio
ashtray
HVAC
shifter surround (maybe shift boot, not sure if the openings are different)
e brake handle covers
everything bolts in, and might plug in if you have a concert radio (if you are non bose, and the symphony you get is bose, you must recode.. or if the symphony is non=bose and you're bose, you must recode the radio). You must run 1 wire for the hvac to be lit up, you must also wire in the fog light switches and if you want, the lights that light up the ash tray, etc. as your car does not have these.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Center Console Retro Fit

im thinking of puttng a facelift center console into my prefacelift car. i want the double din with updated radio and climate control and the arm rest with the better(but still ****yy) cupholders and the arm rest. how hard is this? can this even be done? i didnt see one of these threads in the sticky's DIY thread so now would be a good tme to get the info out there so we can get this thread into the DIY thread

·
17,317 Posts
Re: Center Console Retro Fit (FreshazzWhip)

There have been a couple discussions on this, at least one of the discussions gave all the parts you needed. Did you search the archives?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts