1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Dude's "Backroad Burner" Build Thread

My R's progress.

I bought this car in July 2012. Took this snap the day I got her:

Now here is where my Golf R's money pit tuning story begins. You see, I've always been a dub guy but this is the first car I've decided to tune and it was a direct result of joining this site and reading Grambles' threads. His background in engineering, enthusiasm for modding cars, and excellent technical write-up's intrigued me enough and gave me just enough knowledge to be slightly dangerous:D

First, it was the Tune and Tails.

Man, I was so stoked that day. The OEM led tail purchase should have been the first sign that I would soon be dumping money into this car every few months.

Before I knew it, I put on the Neuspeed Rse12's, color-matched side markers, and window tint:

By the way, another nice thing about these little hatches is that you can just fold the seats down and you have plenty of room to fit a full APR RSC turboback exhaust and take a nice leisurely drive on over to APTuning to have it installed.

Or you could just fold one seat down and load up one pair of skis, one set of ski poles, one ski-boot bag, and still have room to tie someone up in your trunk.

Anyway, here is the engine bay as she sits (Sorry, crappy cell pic...I'll get a better one in soon):

• APR Stage 2+ tuned ECU
  • Unitronic Intake
  • 42DD Catch Can
  • APR HPFP
  • One extra soundaktor
  • APR RSC TBE

One of the main reasons I got this car was because I wanted just a little more confidence in the snow than the GTI. Don't get me wrong, the GTI can be a champ in the snow and the only time it ever failed me when I wanted to go skiing was when two feet accumulated and I don't think my R could have made it through that either. However, the R is just more planted and has great traction even with just all-seasons. I love this car in the snow, she just looks so good with a little white on her :D

I know that's kind of a tl;dr picture story so here is the full list of my mods:
Performance/Engine:

• APR Stage 2+ Tune
  • Unitronic Intake
  • APR Intercooler
  • APR HPFP
  • APR RSC TBE
  • Neuspeed Turbo charge/discharge pipes
  • GFB DV+
  • 42DD Catch Can
  • R8 Coil packs/iridium plugs
  • BFI Stage 1 Engine/Transmission Mounts
  • USP Spulen Dogbone Insert
  • BSH Pendulum Mount
  • ESC Defeat + other vag-com tweaks

Interior/Cosmetic

• Polo WRC Alcantara Steering Wheel
  • New South Performance blue boost guage
  • OEM LED Tails
  • CM Side-markers
  • BFI Heavy shift knob
  • OEM Rain Guards
  • DeAutokey Interior lights w/ blue footwells
  • Apex USB port
  • R seat-handle inserts
  • Llumar 30% Tint all around
  • 3M Clear Bra
  • remove sun visor warning stickers
Transmission/Shifting

• RSR clutch from HSTuning
  • Spulen Short Shifter
  • 42DD end-link bushings
  • Tyrolsport SSBB
  • Haldex upgrade (planned... Someday!)
Suspension/Chassis-

• Koni FSD
  • VWR Springs
  • 034 Strut Mounts
  • Tyrolsport Deadset Subframe Collars
  • VWR F&R Sways
  • Whiteline Endlinks
Wheels/Tires

• Winter set-up: 18" OEM Talledega's with Continental DWS
  • Summer set-up: Neuspeed Rse12's Hyperblack w/ Michilin PSS
Brakes

• ECS Drilled Slotted Rotors
  • Carbotech 1521 pads

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day:D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think I've seen you before. How long have you had the car? I have a RB 4 door and I live in Hellertown. I've seen a black one on 412 two or three times before.
I must've seen you before too, and I've had the car since 6/30/12. Nice car btw! Indeed, there are some nice backroad twisties off 412... Especially going towards Raubsville then hitting up 611. So many roads. I've been exploring quite a bit out that way to create the perfect "PA backroad tour" that eventually I'd like to bring some other dubs along for a gtg/cruise in the summertime.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You and I think very much alike man, I'm happy to admit I'm a cheap ass mofo. I need to be able to justify the price to myself before pulling the trigger on anything.

I'm APR stage 1 now. The mod's I'm thinking of for the future are:

- 19 inch wheels with summer tires & using the stock wheels for winter
- I'm thinking of going straight to stage 2+ with APR HPFP rebuild, CTS intake (VWR maybe?) and UR downpipe ~ $1700?
- I'm keeping the suspension stock. It is perfect out of the box if you ask me. The only reason I would want to upgrade is for looks and I think going with 19's would help in the looks department and I can cut some weight as well.

My only apprehension is the clutch. Can the stock clutch handle stage 2+ power? Some say yes, some say no. If a clutch replacement is a must then that $1700 will go to $2700 or more plus you have the installation.

So I think I'll probably do the wheels before anymore power mods. I don't know man, I'm still back and forth on the whole thing. :confused:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My only apprehension is the clutch. Can the stock clutch handle stage 2+ power? Some say yes, some say no. If a clutch replacement is a must then that $1700 will go to $2700 or more plus you have the installation.
I hear ya. My clutch was replaced under warranty at 8k and I have to believe it was a defect from the factory because it wasn't the dealers call. They had an engineer from VWoA travel out to inspect and make the call. At that point I was 1+ for 2.5k miles. So far no slipping on the new clutch and it's been 6k miles. Who is your dealer?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I hear ya. My clutch was replaced under warranty at 8k and I have to believe it was a defect from the factory because it wasn't the dealers call. They had an engineer from VWoA travel out to inspect and make the call. At that point I was 1+ for 2.5k miles. So far no slipping on the new clutch and it's been 6k miles. Who is your dealer?
Well, I bought the car out of state. I'm wide open as to where to go for service. The closest dealer to me is Gilboy on MacArthur. Faulkner is close as well, I think Faulkner might be pretty mod friendly because I received an email from them offering a unitronic tune.

Was your clutch slipping or was it a defect? Some people has cracked clutches etc.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, I bought the car out of state. I'm wide open as to where to go for service. The closest dealer to me is Gilboy on MacArthur. Faulkner is close as well, I think Faulkner might be pretty mod friendly because I received an email from them offering a unitronic tune.

Was your clutch slipping or was it a defect? Some people has cracked clutches etc.
Young literally told my friend to leave. Faulkner is not mod friendly but sells tunes and aftermarket parts. Haven't heard anything about Gilbert

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Young literally told my friend to leave. Faulkner is not mod friendly but sells tunes and aftermarket parts. Haven't heard anything about Gilbert
I just lol'ed about Youngs.

Let's just say Gilboy is on the conservative side of things. Faulkner takes care of me and I'd be surprised if they gave you or whoever a hard time... In the end it's their discretion.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just drove around Betlem with the old lady the other weekend....2door spm downpipe unitronic stage 2 with a cts intake.......oh and A vf pendulum mount under the christmas tree. were you ever at cars and coffee at saucon valley shops?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just drove around Betlem with the old lady the other weekend....2door spm downpipe unitronic stage 2 with a cts intake.......oh and A vf pendulum mount under the christmas tree. were you ever at cars and coffee at saucon valley shops?
Sounds like your car is coming along nicely! Also sounds like the handy-work of Chris at CBT Tuning, am I right?

I actually went to cars and coffee once and couldn't find anyone... So i got a coffee and took a nice drive down some twisty backroads. Since then i read that it kinda died down, but that was back in August. I'd go if I know for sure it's gonna have a decent turnout.
oh happy holidays to all you lehigh valley/ eastern Pa R owner/opperators!:beer:
Likewise!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sounds like your car is coming along nicely! Also sounds like the handy-work of Chris at CBT Tuning, am I right?

I actually went to cars and coffee once and couldn't find anyone... So i got a coffee and took a nice drive down some twisty backroads. Since then i read that it kinda died down, but that was back in August. I'd go if I know for sure it's gonna have a decent turnout.

Likewise!
I went the 2nd month they had it and wasn't very impressed. The only people who weren't too full of themselves to talk were the CB Tuning guys and a guy with an orange rossion. The last show of the season in November had what looked to be close to 100 cars there and a ton of really nice vehicles. A Ferrari dealer came down with a bunch of cars.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Have you driven in a car with an APR TBE? or a car with just a downpipe and a stock catback?
No, only in-car experience I have with a modded dub is my gf's stage 2 GTI with a Eurojet TBE.

It's actually kinda sad. All my best buds are subie guys... I've been in some nasty Rex's and STI's but I am kinda the lone-wolf-Dubber in my circle. I'm trying to branch out and meet new people. I've been to a few meets and shows but never in anyone else's car... All parking lot revs and whatnot.

·
Banned
292 Posts
No, only in-car experience I have with a modded dub is my gf's stage 2 GTI with a Eurojet TBE.

It's actually kinda sad. All my best buds are subie guys... I've been in some nasty Rex's and STI's but I am kinda the lone-wolf-Dubber in my circle. I've been to a few meets and shows but never in anyone else's car.
I had a similar issue, my local scene was filled with low & slow guys. I was the guy who tested out the different exhaust/intake/intercooler and never got to test it out on a friends car prior to purchasing. Working at APR, I no longer have that problem.

I've been in an R with an APR TBE, it truly is OEM quiet at idle and light throttle I was hoping you'd get a chance. It's impossible to describe it until you're driving it. Are you going to SOWO? We should have at least 1 R with an APR TBE at the event.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone else stuck on 22 for 1.5 hours today. That's how long it took me to get from Bethlehem to MacArthur.

My right ankle is sore from modulating the throttle to creep. lol
Damn! I was on I-78 rolling between 2nd and 3rd for an hour. That sucks. Reminds of when I was in the Holland Tunnel for 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a similar issue, my local scene was filled with low & slow guys.
Now things are starting to click... I vaguely recall a thread on the other forum about this. I almost did a double take when I took note of that threads author:laugh:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Low & Slow vs Function>Form? I don't remember the exact thread title but I believe it was something like that.
That's the one. I saw it before knowing you as the Guru and, after knowing you as such, came across it again and thought "that's odd, why would the Guru...???"

Now I get it, lol, too funny!

1 - 20 of 237 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.