VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it started out just two short years ago... I bought the car from a dear friend just before flying down to attend Southern Worthersee for the first time. Before I even acquired the car, I had the RS6 reps in the bag and installed them before even driving the car home. Shot this on the way home from the Leavenworth Drive a month or so after buying the car.

In the fall of 2010, only a few months after purchasing the car, I embarked on a month-long 9000 mile journey throughout the country to finally land in Ocean City, MD for H2O International. Along the way, I managed to drive though a tree in the Redwood Forest...

Visited Dorothy's neck of the woods—errrr, grass— along the way, somewhere in the middle of Kansas.

After a long, grueling weekend in OC, and meeting my now-business partner, Anna Taylor, for the first time, it was back across the country to Washington State. Stopped to see some dead presidents along the way..

Once home, it was time to get my lazy freelance photographer ass back to work for the winter. Aside from driving into the mountains a few days a week to get reacquainted with one of my first loves, snowboarding, the wagon didn't really see much action—although its 4-Motion proved to be a ****ing riot in the snow!

Before long spring had arrived, and it was straight into the planning of our film, More Than A Drive, about the Leavenworth Drive. Shortly after, at some point last summer, I snagged a snap of the wagon while on another shoot...

Then tossed these on for a few weeks...

Throughout the second half of the year I found myself traveling (by air) to the east coast semi regularly to pursue the establishment of our company, More Than More. Before I knew it, we were balls deep in winter again. Buuuuuut, winter meant project time, and a baby teardrop trailer was conceived, with the help of Nic and Steph Foster, of Classic BMW Fame...as seen below, with Nic climbing the trailer frame.

A couple weekends of nonstop work and we had a rolling frame! (while the wagon also received a little cosmetic attention too)

In mid-April, after wrapping the battlewagen matte black (myself), I found myself driving back across the country to spend the duration of the show season on the east coast...back on my trusty, and favorite, 16" Mercedes wheels. Drove from Washington State to Washington DC in 4 days, one of which I spent replacing the front axles in Wisconsin. 2700 miles over the course of three 14-hour periods.

Somewhere in the middle of Montana on the first day of the trek.

A snap, thanks to our lovely friends at Gengstout of the setup at Staggered, in Connecticut in the beginning of May. No washing of cars here, nor any shame.

Loading the trailer at MTM East Coast HQ before Southern Worthersee..

The two MTM vehicles at MTM East HQ.

Frankie, the MTM Don Corleone, peepin' his little snout out.

Then the Don Corleone of Wheel-Whores.com™ came out for our trip to Southern Worthersee and snapped this along the way...

And finally, on borrowed BBS RR's for Southern Worthersee, care of 129 Euro, in Maryville, TN.

Now just to figure out what's next! Just gotta work on getting back to my hot rod roots...:beer:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow your car is incredible. I've never liked matte black until I saw it on your car.. unreal. You've spent a lot of time in that beast.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow your car is incredible. I've never liked matte black until I saw it on your car.. unreal. You've spent a lot of time in that beast.
Thanks man! Definitely spent some time getting acquainted with it, over the past two years it's gained 60k miles, haha. I was up in the air on the matte black at first too, but ended up being really stoked with how it came out (despite being my first dabble in wrapping). I would have loved to paint it, given all the body work it received, but it just didn't make sense when I knew it'd be seeing another 20-30k miles this year. Maybe sometime soon!

I really like it on those 16" Mercs. Cant wait to see what the future holds for this car!
Thanks man, I ****ing love them! They're strong, cheap, easy to find, and light...and tires are cheap too, which is key with a 4-motion B5.5, haha. It should have something new to the US on it for Waterfest though...just crossing my fingers that the company, who will remain unnamed for now, finally follows through. ;)

:beer:

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
I feel like doing something like this on my 4mo wagon as well instead of selling it.... maybe make it into some kind of road trip/winter beast....

My ultimate dream would be to fab a trailer our of another wagon's rear end and tow that around....

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel like doing something like this on my 4mo wagon as well instead of selling it.... maybe make it into some kind of road trip/winter beast....

My ultimate dream would be to fab a trailer our of another wagon's rear end and tow that around....
That was actually our initial plan, and we almost bought a donor as well. But the amount of fab to make it look good (and paint) was almost what we had into building a completely custom trailer. It would be dope as all hell though!

As for a winter beast, the 4-mo is money...but for roadtrips, it gets quite subpar mileage. Especially towing a trailer. 18mpg is on the high end when the trailer is in tow, and the trailer is built to the same height and width as the car too.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Sick.

With a Mk3 on the cover I would guess ;)

My 4mo is still in storage (has been for about 18 months) as I have no need to sell it (or interest from people) and no need to drive it....

Maybe next winter I'll park the GTI and turn the Passat into a winter cruiser...

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Love the car Sam! Is yours 1.8t or 30v? My gf got me the mtm collection for xmas:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sick.

With a Mk3 on the cover I would guess ;)

My 4mo is still in storage (has been for about 18 months) as I have no need to sell it (or interest from people) and no need to drive it....

Maybe next winter I'll park the GTI and turn the Passat into a winter cruiser...
Just don't sell it!

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love the car Sam! Is yours 1.8t or 30v? My gf got me the mtm collection for xmas:thumbup:
Thanks buddy! It's a 30V V6 with 4-Motion and the Tip. I'd love to convert it to a 6 speed gearbox, but I know if I started delving into it I would eventually just go down the full eurospec TDI conversion or LS1. And not drive it for the better part of a decade whilst in the process, haha. But for now it's the company hauler, so it's gotta stay reliable above all else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts