VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some pretty good hard sci fi space opera. For those not yet into it, it takes place... I dunno... 300 years in the future? Mars, a former colony, now an independent military power is locked in a Cold War with the Earth. Both vie and trade for resources mined and collected on an asteroid belt facility named Ceres. A cop on Ceres is investigating the disappearance of the daughter of a wealthy industrialist who has ties to a separatist group on the belt. He stumbles onto a conspiracy that could turn the Cold War hot. Meanwhile, an ice freighter crew is dealing with its own set of problems.

Oh, yeah... The Church of Latter Day Saints is building a big ship to go on a 100 year missionary trip to another star system. :laugh:

These storylines are set to converge into a vast conspiracy.

Production values are high, the acting is good, and the writing is pretty tight. I don't know how this showed up without any pre-hype.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
I am enjoying this show. Good acting and the episodes give you a lot each time.

Mormons building a ship, I thought that was a good twist.

I'm not sure it'll have staying power but I really hope it does.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Oh yeah, this is on the list. Haven't gotten to it yet because I crossed the streams and now my wife is an anime fiend. We're working thru the Miyazaki films now :banghead:

SyFy hyped it pretty hard, actually -- it's just that SyFy hype doesn't amount to much even on a good day. They had excerpts from the books printed up and were free for the taking at Barnes & Noble. Might still have some if you check. Haven't read them yet but other sci-fi folks have told me the books are great.

So yeah, good to hear it's delivering. Will check it out -- :thumbup::beer:

p.s. Is this the one with the zero-g sex scene?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What's the deal with that first pic? Meteoroid strike? :laugh: (there's a scene in Gravity kinda like that -- very disturbing)

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To your questions, yes and no. I think Niven did the first 0 G cowgirl in Ringworld. Set my pre-highschool imagination into overdrive. :laugh:

The hull breach was not a meteor. I won't say more because it's kind of part of a plot twist. ;)

The F/X and atmosphere (ironic use of the term) of the space scenes have a very BSG-feel. I didn't look to see who is behind this project, but probably someone who was involved in that series.

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mormons building a ship, I thought that was a good twist.
Yeah, I saw that and thought it came right out of left-field. But I thought about it a little more and realized it was a cool side-plot. Like, "Yeah, that could really happen."

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the coldest Tyrese has ever been.
THANK YOU!!! I couldn't remember what I knew him from. :eek:

Some observations... Someone from BSG *has* to be involved in this. Anyone else notice the clipped corners on some of the rectangular objects? Door frames, smart phones, etc... Straight from BSG.

Also, how many other SF movies and shows have riffed on that Blade Runner set piece with the "hero" eating noodles at a noodle bar?

Yes, the pacing is a little slow, but it's like a savory side of prime rib for scifi nerds. There's so much eye candy to take in that I'm never bored.

·
Registered
14,983 Posts
I watched half of the first episode, but it didn't grab me. Not sure if I was distracted or what, but it looks good. Does it continue to get better?

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched half of the first episode, but it didn't grab me. Not sure if I was distracted or what, but it looks good. Does it continue to get better?
I think it's as close to "hard science fiction" as TV can really get. So it depends on if you like that sort of thing vs simple space opera. Not judging... I like the latter quite a lot.

This is more a political thriller and police procedural with some interesting predictions on future tech and social changes. I cut my teeth on Robert Heinlein a long time ago and this hearkens back to a lot of his work.

·
35,022 Posts
It took me 3 episodes to decide that I like where it's going. I think the 1st episode tried to introduce too many characters/plot-lines.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Finally caught the first episode of this last night. Don't know what the hell's going on :p, but I'm diggin it so far.

I like the character design of the "Belters" -- all lanky & bony. Cool.

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That ladies voice is way too deep!

I dig the show. Some parts are fairly violent. I was a bit shocked.
The image I posted didn't clue you in just a little bit? :laugh: ;)

And which lady? The engineer from the Canterbury? The Belter cop? The prostitute? I don't recall any deep voiced females. :confused:

·
35,022 Posts
The image I posted didn't clue you in just a little bit? :laugh: ;)

And which lady? The engineer from the Canterbury? The Belter cop? The prostitute? I don't recall any deep voiced females. :confused:
The older UN lady on Earth.

·
Chili Bigot
20,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The older UN lady on Earth.
Ah, Shohreh Aghdashloo... Forgot about her. She hasn't been in the last couple of episodes. I first saw her in the House of Sand and Fog a few years back.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts