VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
:( Damn, that's a long wait for such a short series. I wonder if production takes a long time because of the sets and FX. I know that's an issue with GoT.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Great finale. Just wish there were fewer damn commercials!

Has anyone read the books of this? I wonder how closely they're following the series.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,193 Posts
Watched this over the last couple of weeks. I wanted to like it more than I did if I'm honest.

It's definitely a show I had to pay a lot of attention to... or I got lost quick and had to rewind. :)

Really excellent effects, acting, and world-building. Now that things are rolling along a bit more and we've got some idea of what is happening, I think season 2 will be a lot more interesting.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,193 Posts

This picture reminds me that the SOUND FX were also really good, and in this scene in particular. I watched much of this on my ipad, lying in bed with headphones on (so I could concentrate :) ) and it really brought out the details of the stereo and surround. :thumbup:

·
Chili Bigot
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Watched this over the last couple of weeks. I wanted to like it more than I did if I'm honest.

It's definitely a show I had to pay a lot of attention to... or I got lost quick and had to rewind. :)

Really excellent effects, acting, and world-building. Now that things are rolling along a bit more and we've got some idea of what is happening, I think season 2 will be a lot more interesting.
It was slow to start. I was drawn in and interested with the eye candy. It was just really good sci fi. My only real technical complaint was how low grav (on the Belt stations) and 0G (on the ships) were portrayed. The mag boots conceit was a little lame and loose objects on the ship were merely set down at times. And just because you have mag boots on doesn't mean you can simply sit on a surface and rest. Your butt will float back up. But those details were small and I'm will to let some things go for the sake of "because TV".

The story itself got a little frustrating and trying to keep the names of the characters and of the ships straight was tough, but once I did get them all straight, it was rewarding.

·
35,022 Posts
Season 2 Starts Feb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vR2FB1PGM&t=2s

I the mean time I recently read the first of the series and about 1/5 into the 2nd one. Interesting how much they changed the story and I guess some of the tones of certain characters. Rewatched first season after reading and I like some of it and not as much on others...
1st season seems to pull from books 1 and 2.

Looking forward to #6 being available on paperback.

·
Chili Bigot
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
1st season seems to pull from books 1 and 2.

Looking forward to #6 being available on paperback.
I'm just finishing up book 5 and have 6 downloaded and ready to go on my iPad.

RM - You can tell that the two writers are GRRM proteges (or at least one of them is) because they've taken the story on a really wide arc.

From the previews, we'll get some of book 3 this season. We meet Bobbie and get to see her in action with her powered armor. I think that she and Avasarala are my two favorite characters (and I don't usually like female protagonists). :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,983 Posts
Up to ep 7 or 8 and it still isn't grabbing me. I've been told to stick to it, but I'm losing interest.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
The interview I've seen said they basically try to bring into characters from the later book earlier, since those characters exists in the world but because the way book is written if they don't cross path with them it was not mentioned. So thats why they brought in Avasarala to tell what's happening on Earth. And I suspect that might be whats happening with Draper? Though I have not finished book 2 yet.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Just binged watched season 1, and am totally gripped by the story so far. Love the characters, the sets, and the fx. I think I may buy the books - starting with book 2.

One thing has been bugging me though...spoilers ahead, so highlight below to read:

When Dr Dresden is taking samples from Julia's body, he says something to the effect, "your father would be very proud of you...for helping to save humanity." Then Dresden goes on to kill the population of Eros as part of some larger experiment with the toxic goo. If the proto-molecule is in fact some kind of bio-weapon, is Dresden and Julia's dad trying to find a way to defeat it?? Or are they actually trying to refine it and make it controllable?

·
Chili Bigot
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Nooooooo! Read book 1! The first season only gets to the book's midpoint and if you start with 2, you'll be confused!

W/re to your spoiler, that's the mystery of the first part of the story. To answer your question would be to spoil season 2 (or the second half of book 1).

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Nooooooo! Read book 1! The first season only gets to the book's midpoint and if you start with 2, you'll be confused!

W/re to your spoiler, that's the mystery of the first part of the story. To answer your question would be to spoil season 2 (or the second half of book 1).

Oh wow, thanks! I thought season 1 = book 1.

Off to download both now.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Cool vid about real-life science/potential behind the engine tech in this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JWZqp0QoXcw

The Expanse is a TV show based upon a series of books by James S. A. Corey. It's won a great deal of praise for its 'gritty realism', portraying life in the solar system 300 years from now. I got a lot of questions about how realistic the spacecraft were in the show, whether physics allowed for engines with the performance demonstrated by the spacecraft, so let's do the math.

·
Chili Bigot
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Anyone catch the premier? Looks like they're going to tie up book 1 and move into book 2 pretty quick. Some pretty significant departures, too.

·
35,022 Posts
Alone catch the premier? Looks like they're going to tie up book 1 and move into book 2 pretty quick. Some pretty significant departures, too.
They covered A LOT in the double-episode.

·
Chili Bigot
20,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I've seen some people complain that they don't like Bobbie's character. I'm a little surprised.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts