VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 25 years that I have been in the VW scene, I have owned my share of Sciroccos [8V & 16V], Golfs [Wolfsburg, GTI and R32], Corrado SLC, Jettas [GL. GLI 16VI, GLX], Passats [16V & VR6] and a mix of other mild to wild VAG builds that have had a distinct signature for each one that made them identifiable without even seeing the car. You know that exact sense, the sense of sound, from a distance you can hear it coming down the road, winding through the gears, from the stop signs to rolling past your home or car show, that sound that makes a VW 16V, 1.8T or VR6 a distinctive sound of its own. If you have ever owned a VR6, you know how great they sound with a well tuned performance exhaust. As a Passat/CC 3.6 4Motion owner, you know that you are limited to either eliminating your suit case as the cheap option for finding that sound that you have been missing or selling your first born child to import a system from Europe that though nice, still is considered the rare case to find. There needs to be an in-between solution that is an affordable bolt on and available here in the US for those seeking that distinctive sound for their Passat/CC.

Since I own a CC 3.6 4Motion myself, I have contacted several of you and have gotten replies expressing interest and concerns on this matter. This thread is to help gauge the interest in a system for the Passat/CC 4Motion cars so that a select tuner can gauge the marketability of a said system to fill the void. So, if you are a Passat/CC 3.6 4Motion owner, or know someone that is, let them know about this thread and reply. As a group, this will help bring that void to a reality. So make this happen.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hope you have better luck than I did. I've been trying for a while to do bring attention to aftermarket exhaust companies with no luck. If the price is right, and there are noticeable gains, I'm in.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have already been in discussion with my contact and so far, out of 16 people that I have contacted about this thread and my attempt at getting this to reality, five have responded and I expect more. This will also work too if you also know people that may not post on here daily or are out of the loop, are made known of this thread and its purpose. As far as price, that has yet to be determined as it will come down to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far, I have contacted everyone listed below that at one time or another, expressed interest in this [those with a :thumbup: and a [P] for Passat or [C] for CC, and have replied to my message in support of the effort] for an exhaust system for the 3.6 4motion.

1. 3.6awdwagon [P] :thumbup:
2. thekmish [P]
3. sg207ptg [P] :thumbup:
4. fvbean [P] :thumbup:
5. MDAce15 [P] :thumbup:
6. VR [P]
7. jettamkIVvr6 [P]
8. filipinodawg [P]
9. volks76 [C]
10. greek bandit [C] :thumbup:
11. dj_cronic_metal [C]
12. CCNoob [C]
13. baddceo [C]
14. CC 3.6 4MO [C]
15. dmartine [C]
16. shep37 [C]
17. Rheinland Technik [C] :thumbup:

To keep this interesting and moving....

·
Administrator
87,859 Posts
Problem is, too many variables. Sedan vs wagon...4mo vs FWD. Setups are not just one design. While I'd like to see this happen the unfortunate reality is that a manufacturer will need to see a significant market for it. You CC guys will probably have better luck as its a sedan with no wagon option. Passat dudes, not so much. Unfortunate but true.
Honestly, even if one were made available for my car I'd probably pass on it. Suitcase delete satisfies my craving for the vr6 sound. :laugh:

Hopefully one of our paying advertisers will chime in with their opinion on it though!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
In the past 25 years that I have been in the VW scene, I have owned my share of Sciroccos [8V & 16V], Golfs [Wolfsburg, GTI and R32], Corrado SLC, Jettas [GL. GLI 16VI, GLX], Passats [16V & VR6] and a mix of other mild to wild VAG builds that have had a distinct signature for each one that made them identifiable without even seeing the car. You know that exact sense, the sense of sound, from a distance you can hear it coming down the road, winding through the gears, from the stop signs to rolling past your home or car show, that sound that makes a VW 16V, 1.8T or VR6 a distinctive sound of its own. If you have ever owned a VR6, you know how great they sound with a well tuned performance exhaust. As a Passat/CC 3.6 4Motion owner, you know that you are limited to either eliminating your suit case as the cheap option for finding that sound that you have been missing or selling your first born child to import a system from Europe that though nice, still is considered the rare case to find. There needs to be an in-between solution that is an affordable bolt on and available here in the US for those seeking that distinctive sound for their Passat/CC.

Since I own a CC 3.6 4Motion myself, I have contacted several of you and have gotten replies expressing interest and concerns on this matter. This thread is to help gauge the interest in a system for the Passat/CC 4Motion cars so that a select tuner can gauge the marketability of a said system to fill the void. So, if you are a Passat/CC 3.6 4Motion owner, or know someone that is, let them know about this thread and reply. As a group, this will help bring that void to a reality. So make this happen.

Watch this

http://youtu.be/y7YSsW4g1jU

I'm UNIQUE!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the main purpose of this thread is to address 4Motion cars only, this will simplify things more. Also, since there are exhaust manufacturers that currently market exhaust for the 4Motion cars [Supersprint, Bastuck and a couple other from Europe and Japan], many of them list two systems which cover both sedan, wagon and coupe, so the variables are minimal. There are soome that offer dual tip designs, but since the US only uses single tip designs, the main difference being of concern are the rear mufflers and that is a minor and easily resolved issue. I have even located two Passat 3.6 4M wagons close to me that I even was able to take a few pics of to compare visually with the system on the CC. I spent part of the morning putting together a list of posters that have either a 3.6 / 3.6 4M Passat or CC [mostly CC's as I have not went through the Passat forum yet] and came up with 25- 30 names that have Passat or CC 4M cars in addition to the 18 that I have already contacted to survey possible interest in a system. Needless to say, even if the market isn't there, it will not prevent me from going out on my own and working with a local shop that I have used in the past and building a one off system for my own CC. The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest and provide feedback to help provide a market sample to help build a case for offering a system to fit both the Passat and CC 4Motion cars.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering the current offerings for exhaust for the 4Motion cars are $2400 [1800 Euro] not including shipping from Europe or Japan and comparing it to similar exhaust systems [found on cars sharing a similar layout that is found on the Passat & CC], a dual exhaust would be in the $1150-$1600 range, based on what I have been looking at. Most single exit exhaust range between $650-$900, though some systems can be had for less, but you also get less cosmetic appeal [polished versus natural, tips versus standard pipe exits, bend rod hangers versus OEM style with mount retention point and so on]. Also you have to look at the materials that will be used such as 300 series stainless versus 400 series, MIG welded versus TIG welded, clamp types and other general hardware.

Just a few that come to mind that offer other VW and Audi exhaust fitments to compare the quality and fitment are listed below and even with these, you can see the differences in materials, workmanship and price.

Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax, MBS, Billy Boat, Techtonics, AWE, Autotech, Neuspeed, APR, Eurosport, Supersprint, Bastuck…

I don't expect an exhaust to be on the high end in cost like those from Europe, nor do I expect to see a system that is on the semi-low end with magnetic 409 series pipe and mufflers to satisfy most 4Motion owners. If we can convince them to offer a mid range solution, I think most people would be happy and consider this over the high or low end of the range. Face it, you get what you pay for, but you always want quality and with quality, you look for the best at the price you can afford. If you want the top quality, you will pay the price and if you don't want to pay the price, then the lower quality is what you end up getting. Comparatively, I didn’t opt to install $2650+ air-ride suspension on my CC, but I also didn’t decide to go with a set of $300 Raceland Coilovers on a car that cost nearly $50K. I looked at what gave me the lowering range that I wanted [nothing too drastic that would not allow me to be close to stock] like a 55-85 mm drop kit versus a 25-35 mm drop, which I ended up with a 45-65 mm drop system that was adjustable and I shopped around for the best price I could find and went with a name that I trusted [Bilstein PSS10 for $1650 and I feel that I got a good deal and a great product]. Don’t get me wrong, as I would love to have a full header back Supersprint system on my CC and a Stoptech front brake upgrade, but I have priorities [wife and kids…].

So, voice your thoughts on what you are willing or expecting to pay and what you prefer in sound quality and appearance. I personally, want a moderately mellow sound, not a boy racer sound that you get with some exhaust [there are plenty of videos online that sound like someone trying to skin a cat with a dull bush ax in a empty coffee can].

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
$1,000 would be my high max, but for that it would have to be stainless or a really quality system.

$600-800 for aluminum with mufflers and maybe not tips i think is reasonable if we are talking about only a cat-back bolt together

I understand the higher cost for a dual system vs. single but I have bought super nice single systems before for under $400 so I would expect the dual to be priced close. Maybe an option for using you own mufflers to keep the cost down? or resonated and non-res systems?

just putting ideas out there, obviously this is all discussion atm:beer:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, you can get systems for less, but again quality in different peoples eyes will vary. You have to compare materials [as mentioned in my previous post] 308 or 409 stainless, wall thickness 0.048" or 0.063", mufflers [sound deadening materials used, welded versus rolled seam construction]. The list can go on and on. Finding a company to build an aluminized system for the Passat/CC just won't happen, even Techtonics only offers stainless systems for the Mk6 chassis cars [ranging from $630-$765] or for an Audi A6 is around $1350. I have owned cheap systems [not eBay cheap, make in who knows where] and you get what you pay for and I personally don't want the boy racer sound, I want the deep throaty sound that makes you turn your head to see what is coming down the road, not turn your head to see what "POS" is making racket. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind getting a stainless system for $700-$900, I just don't think it will happen. Even if I bought mandrel bent pipes, mufflers, clamps and hangers to build my own system, I would have $850-$1000 in material alone [Borla mufflers, Burns piping and Vibrant hangers and etc.].

I can say that the company that I have been discussing this with, will not offer aluminized, nor do I expect they would offer piping only. If this does move forward, I would expect that there would be a system with and without a resonator center pipe.

·
Registered
354 Posts
$1,000 would be my high max, but for that it would have to be stainless or a really quality system.

$600-800 for aluminum with mufflers and maybe not tips i think is reasonable if we are talking about only a cat-back bolt together

I understand the higher cost for a dual system vs. single but I have bought super nice single systems before for under $400 so I would expect the dual to be priced close. Maybe an option for using you own mufflers to keep the cost down? or resonated and non-res systems?

just putting ideas out there, obviously this is all discussion atm:beer:
i got the cat-back for my 03 24v gli for 380 and that was a magnaflow. i will agree you get what you pay for but at the same time its a single exhaust from the cat till after the axel i cant see what would cost more than a grand for that car. either way i support and want a system just hope its not way way up there in price or it may take me a little extra time to get it

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.