VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
8,038 Posts
Our neighbor down the street just moved and along with the big moving truck there was a (I think) base model Maverick parked on the street. I must admit both my wife and I liked the look of it. It reminded us of the Rabbit Pickups and Chevy Luvs from back in our high school days.

· Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
8,038 Posts
As slick as that looks, if you want a vehicle from Ford that is that exact length and has an ecoboost engine with four doors and a covered cargo area, they already make that, its called a base Ford Explorer.
The same can be said for virtually any truck and SUV that share the same platform or are close in length. Why do people buy Silverados and put a cap on them over buying a Suburban? Sometimes you want the separation of stuff you throw in the back. I prefer SUVs over trucks but understand why people would choose a truck with a cap.

· Registered
8,038 Posts
I feel like it would be a great first car but I'm conflicted because I really want my kids to have manuals for their first cars. They're current 9 months and 3 years though, who the **** knows what will be around in 15 years.

With that said, where's the damn Maverick 6MT variant? C'mon FORD. I would totally buy a FWD/6MT/Gas model (used, in 5-10 years when its depreciated under $10,000).
^^ That's why they won't build it. Anyone who wants one will "just wait" until they are used but no one will buy them new. :cool:

· Registered
8,038 Posts
Mavericks remind me of mini-trucks, so I call it a truck; at least it has the right proportions. What do we call El Caminos or Rancheros? I always referred to them by their model name, but not truck.
My go to is that anything with a bed on the back is a truck regardless of size.

Subaru Baja = truck
Hummer H2T = truck
Maverick = truck

and so on. It makes things so much easier and really tends to tick off the bro dozer crowd and what they think of as a truck. :LOL:

· Registered
8,038 Posts
Yep. Making the Montana DOA due to the 25% price hike.
I do think a simple even crude little trucklette would have a chance in the US market if cheap and cheerful enough (so needs to be built in no import tax to US country).
Everything has raced up market- you can't even get a basic manual na four banger truck anymore.
Even the Frontier is V6 only and almost 30k base price.
Imagine if they marketed the Montana like the old Tracker ZR2.
Give it a soft and/or removable roof section and flashy graphics.
Interior could be dirt cheap but "clean out" easy as long as not boring.
View attachment 250633

I think you're talking about the Roxor.
  • Crude - check
  • US built - check
  • 4cyl - check
  • manual - check
  • soft top/removable - check
  • clean out interior - check

They will be expecting your check in the mail. 😁

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
8,038 Posts
That seems kinda pricey for something not street legal. But I guess a used YJ wouldn't be much cheaper.

Can you slap "Farm Use" plates on the Roxor, or does it still need turn signals for you to run those?
Apparently you can register this for street use in some places. They are hashing it out in this thread. FCA Tries to Block Roxor Sales

· Registered
8,038 Posts
This is why I think a basic utility vehicle makes more a sense as a low priced "entry level car" for a brand (in the US market) now.
You can totally get away with a more basic suspension, less sound deadening, less spirited driving dynamics, and more utilitarian interior plastics/materials with a trucky thing than a car- and you get the high seating people want without looking too awkward.
I kind of surprised that Ford doesn't make a fleet version (or did they??) of the Maverick. Companies like NAPA or others that do local deliveries of products that don't require a large vehicle would likely grab these up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts