VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,833 Posts
I want to buy a stripper model for my kid. Wife is afraid "grandma" will be asking for too many inconvenient Home Depot haul runs.
I feel like it would be a great first car but I'm conflicted because I really want my kids to have manuals for their first cars. They're current 9 months and 3 years though, who the **** knows what will be around in 15 years.

With that said, where's the damn Maverick 6MT variant? C'mon FORD. I would totally buy a FWD/6MT/Gas model (used, in 5-10 years when its depreciated under $10,000).

· Registered
4,833 Posts
So I had awkward conversation with a Maverick driver the other day. Dude rolls up to the mtb trailhead with his buddy, bikes slung over the tailgate. I was driving a BOB stroller with both of my kids on it while wearing short running shorts, so I clearly looked very alpha male. Anyway, the conversation went kinda like this,

Me: Aw man! Those Mavericks are cool, I love the idea of a car-truck thing!
Maverick Driver: That's a pretty underhanded compliment dude.
Me: [stunned a bit, didn't intend it to be underhanded] Aw, I didn't mean it like that. I think its cool that they did a combined car-truck thing
Maverick Driver: Its a truck.
Me: ... [feeling awkward] So you got the hybrid then?
Maverick Driver: Yup, I got it because its was a hybrid TRUCK.
Me: Oh. ... Well have a good ride guys
Maverick Driver: Stares

So I'm not going to lie, this isn't really the kind of driver I expected to be buying Mavericks. I know my social skills have taken a beating from Covid, WFH, and having little kids, but man, I kinda thought I'd have more in common with this guy.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
Yeah, he was being a dud but honestly, I would call the Maverick a truck, too. I wouldn't correct others who didn't, but that's absolutely what it is. Being a car-based chassis really doesn't change that. I'd refer to a Ridgeline or Santa Cruz as a truck also.

At my house, we refer to the Tacoma as "the truck" but refer to the RAV4 as "the Rav" or "the RAV4." We call the Miata "the Miata."

Do people really use classifications like Sedan/Couple/CUV/SUV/etc. in verbal conversation? I don't think anyone in my household has ever said "CUV" out loud in that context.
Yeah, true. If I had one I'd probably call it a truck too. I was mostly just surprised at how offended the guy got. I DO think its cool that they made a truck-shaped vehicle on a car chassis, it allows for a lot of the car advantages with a lot of the advantages of a truck, but I guess when I pointed it out the guy thought I was calling him a *****.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts