VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22,875 Posts
You know, one thing that a lot of older naysayers are saying about this sullying the Maverick name...Do these guys actually remember what the Maverick was? There were a couple of hot versions, but most of them were 6 cylinder, 3-on-the tree or slushbox, 4 door, big bumpered, bean countery excuses of typical 70s garbage. It was really a lot of Falcon components modified to comply with incoming crash standards. It competed with the Beetle, Dart, and Gremlin.

· Registered
22,875 Posts
Back in high school, a friend of ours parents had a Bronco II. It was borderline terrifying to ride in. When it ran (which wasn't frequent, it was always idle surging, not running at all, or had some electrical malady), even normal drives felt...Squirrely. Tippy. I don't know if it was too narrow, too tall, too short wheelbase, too top heavy, too soft a suspension, too much of a passenger tire... but it always felt like it was going to roll over. Even Wrangers and Trackers felt more stable. Many of my friends had 2 door S-10 Blazers, and they felt like any normal vehicle by comparison.

· Registered
22,875 Posts
The Mk1 forum has made a bit of a rebound of late, for DIY stuff, the Scirocco forum is still pretty active. I stayed away from the Car Lounge in the early days, it was a lawless wasteland. I quite enjoy it these days.

· Registered
22,875 Posts
Dude, "Maverick" hasn't been used since before I was born, and I'm gaining on 50 in a hurry. It fits the current marketing and naming scheme present in all Ford trucks. Calm thyself. Remember, Dodge Challenger at various points has been a Mitsubishi and a Global L-Body FWD platform, and the once sporty T-Bird was at various points a gigantic four-door luxury sedan, the Mustang an electric four-door SUV. Names are just marketing strategies, and nobody remembers the Falcon based Maverick, not even the Hi-Po Grabber anymore.

· Registered
22,875 Posts
I do love those comparos where they take a BOF, TRD Taco against a unibody, CUV derived Mav and try to make the Maverick something that it isn't. An off-road machine. Nobody ever thought it was going to be. Ford has the Bronco for that. Not everyone has to traverse a mountain in order to get home with a sheet of plywood or some bikes in the bed. Enjoy it for what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts