VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Its so much easier and more direct than calling, leaving a message, having them call you back, "let me check", rinse and repeat....
I don't sell cars but do B2B sales and love it when my customers are willing to text, if it warrants a call, of course but for quick/short communication I prefer it over email.

but there is no extra inventory. the connection died before it began because they couldn’t tell me when they’d have any kind of ballpark on delivery if I did order. they definitely didn’t plan on having any for stock any time soon. and initially I was told they had a base fwd hybrid (not what I wanted) for test drives but they later told me they didn’t even have that. the guy was really polite and then asked about what we were currently driving and asked if we wanted to sell (he drives a Crosstrek). I told him I wouldn’t be selling or trading anything in. after some back and forth I told him it wasn’t going to work out.
Yeah dealer isn't BSing you.

WSJ article in the 1st post there too, they are reserving builds for dealer inventory in these numbers as well. On pace to deliver 80,000 MY22 Mavs

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Does it have auto stop/start? If so, why didn't it get removed due to the chip shortage stuff?
Standard feature on almost all new cars to help model wide MPG numbers for gov't regulations. Easy to disable via a harness on the 2.0T, tougher/not sure if possible on the hybrid but haven't looked into it since mine's the turbo.

My dad ordered one as well and his is delayed unless he wants to remove the lux pack and the 360 view (which mine doesn't have)

· Registered
22,914 Posts
I asked because I have a F150 on order and auto start/stop was removed automatically. I couldn't have that feature if I wanted it.

I'm glad it's gone but I've only seen the removal of that particular feature on full size trucks so it just seems kind of weird to me.
Hmm that is strange, at least you won't have to pay the $100 for the disable harness like me! I did similar mod to my Golf R, can't stand pressing the button and area where I live where I have to pull out onto faster roads to get anywhere, engine turning off if I come to a full stop for even a second drives me nuts.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
It would be cool if it could be on the same level of the Syclone, as odd as it would be to benchmark against a 30 year old vehicle.

Been slowly adding stuff to mine. Hood guard, hood struts, wireless AA, tailgate letters. Just added a water-resistant pair of USB jacks to the back utilizing the Flexbed connector. Dashcam is next.
I'll be putting it to work next month moving a bunch of stuff.

Pic for clicks
View attachment 181230
Where'd you get the letters? Think I already found the source for the hood struts.

Dunno if legit, or click bait.

Clickbait, those are minor recalls and the grammar/spelling of that article is garbage.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Mods/accessories so far:
  • LED canbus bulbs all around from LASFIT. These things are so much brighter than stock incandescents.
  • Ford/Truxedo soft tonneau cover
  • MOAB bed extender
  • Retrofit KIA autodimming/homelink rear view mirror
  • MRT hood struts
  • Added Sport and Eco modes back via Forscan
  • Added road sign recognition via Forscan
  • Ford splash guards
Truck looks great! I have been reading about this as wording from Ford is all over the place. So FX4 adds the mud/snow/slippery modes but removes the sport and eco??

Guess I'll add Forscan to list of stuff I need to buy. Looks like the OBD adapter they recommend and 1 year license is only $70ish all in. I bet my VCDS Rosstech adapter is too proprietary to use with the forscan software.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
200ish Miles in. Love the truck so far. Drives like a car, easy to maneuver, peppy enough for what it is. Android auto with USB-C plug actually works well. Flexbed is easy, trimmed up a 2x6 and some 2x4s. Made easy work of some hardware store runs (Menards FTW), mulch hauling and taking wheels to tire shop. Been getting about 24mpg city, which is acceptable.

Only cons so far is I wish you could get keyless entry/start (Intelligent access Ford calls it) on the XLT as well as parking sensors. Need Lariat trim for both of those but I liked the Navy Pier interior of the XLT too much and the Lariat Desert Brown interior is hideous. Can't even get front parking sensors on any trim level. The B&O Sound system would of been nice too, but I'm guessing it won't be terribly hard to upgrade that stuff down the road. Really like the mid-level trim on the VWs like our Alltrack where I can get all those options without having to go to the top level.

Mods/Etc.:
-Start/Stop Memory Module
-LED Bed lights, 3rd brake light, and reverse lights
-Gas Hood struts
-Hardwired V1
-2021 Escape Foam Engine Cover (No idea why this got decontented but definitely cuts down on HPFP click)
-Smoked side markers
-Tinted front windows to match the rear
-3D Printed thing for dash cubby so I could mount a cell phone in that 'useless' spot. I'm guessing they'll release the 12" touchscreen or whatever the F150s get now to fill that space in 2023 MY.
-Front end 'standard' Xpel kit plus headlight, A pillars and roof (Modern environmentally safe paints are like butter, my C5Z has 24k miles and I think 1 rock chip, our non Xpel alltrack with 65k looks like it was sandblasted)
-Ceramic coated plastics in Gtechniq C4, Paint/Xpel in CSL

Father's day 'present' was some weekend time to actually get all 4 cars clean at the same time.

Planned mods:
-Get Forscan so I can add back Sport and Eco modes to FX4 trim level
-Front end .75" lift to remove the rake
-Baby truck nuts & F-050 Badge (kidding)

@sumps_garage in Insta as I use it basically as a journal of crap I do to the cars.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Truck looks good, glad you like it. Any surprises so far?
Android Auto actually working. It's hot garbge in both VWs, laggy to the point of being useless. Totally forgot Ford has the keypad entry thing, so handy taking the kids to the park/nature preserves around here and not having to worry about taking anything 'of value' like keys/wallet. The 'auto' HVAC mode actually has 3 levels of max fan speed, which is a nice bonus. Surprised how many people are interested in it. Have had a few come up to me and ask about it, some dad's were checking it out I could see in the distance when at the park Saturday. Still amazed with the options I got it's only 33k MSRP. Our house is weird and the main garage in the picture above is oddly shallow. Had to rearrange some cabinets and the Mav fits by about 6 inches. Didn't really think of that when buying it and just assumed it'd fit but any bigger and it would not.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Been enjoying mine. Surprised how often I'm using it for hauling things.

But I will say, if they announce an AWD Hybrid model with 4k towing, I'll be at the dealership on August 15.

I agree, which I how I ended up with a Lariat Lux model. Wish it had the front parking sensors. Its amazing how hard it is to estimate how close the nose is.
Agreed on the front nose thing, even though it's not a big car I'm using a temporary painters tape line on my garage wall to get it pulled in the right amount and every time so far I feel Like I'm way too close, when in reality it's the perfect distance I measured so you have enough room to walk past. When we pull the Alltrack in, you just wait for the parking sensor to go from orange to red and you know you're good.

That's probably the biggest con was no AWD Hybrid model. Gas wasn't nutty when I originally ordered, but I'm not looking for a fast car, I got that already. Getting 40+ mpgs in this with the 'intelligent AWD' would be nice. Looking at the dash screen they have for it, works very similar to the Haldex system in our Alltrack/Golf R which is FWD 90% of the time, which would keep the MPGs up assuming you're not romping on it. My only guesses are either it's a planned upgrade to keep momentum (like the bigger screen I'm assuming they'll announce) or there's a packaging issue. Which I doubt as you can get the Escape Hybrid with AWD for MY22. Just can't get the plug-in Hybrid Escape with AWD.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
I was able to check out an XL Trim while I was waiting for mine to be built. I ordered and configured mine without ever seeing or driving one in person haha. I did watch I think every Maverick review on the internet though.

XL and XLT trim are very similar from a feel perspective. Only difference is the fabric on the XL seats feels noticeably cheaper, rest is the same, without the orange accents. No cruise control on the XL seems odd, however guys are able to retrofit for ~$150 iirc and some Forscan coding. Curious to see how they update the order guide.

My dad was unable to get his 2022 order fulfilled (I told him the Co-pilot 360 was going to delay!) and he only ordered 1 day after me. If they offer a Hybrid AWD XLT for 2023, he's going to order one and trade me mine.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
With a Tremor package, makes me wonder why the FX4 package exists. FX4 brought so little to the table.
?? I would of still opted for the $800 if I only got the skid plate/tow hook and better cluster screen

The $2,500 lux pack was way less of a 'deal' imo.

Is the Tremor going to be on top of the FX4? Wonder what it will cost.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
More details on the Tremor pack today

Looks like $2,995 for the pack and $1,495 for more appearance stuff, which I don't think is even in the official press pics there as it's a gray painted roof and side mirrors and some graphics.

I would like the smoked tails, dark accented headlights though. Wheels look like the ones I got but painted gray throughout and the orange spoke.

Edit: Finally did some 'truck stuff' in mine this weekend, getting some free mulch from the township.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
Free mulch? What is this wizardry?
It was how I convinced the wife we needed a 4th car. 🤓 Granted we do have a lot of mulched areas. By my calculations I can fit about 2 yards of mulch comfortably back there, 3 if I really want to load it up, so only about 22 more trips to the township if I do the whole yard in one go. Ford says I can haul 40 bags of mulch and stay just under payload capacity, which is a little over 3 yards, so seems to check out

But yeah what OOOO-A3 said, they have brush/log drop off and make use of all the storm debris. We do have issues with 'commercial' landscapers dumping crap that's not good for mulch like root balls and grass. Only have caught 1 company trying to use the mulch for profit to load up their truck, but they have the yard under video surveillance.

· Registered
22,914 Posts
I don't see how people are getting over 30mpg on the 2.0T AWD unless you are driving 60-65 for very extended periods.

I just hit 2,000miles. Getting ~25 around town driving fairly easily. Did a 10 hr round trip to Iowa for work, cruise control at 79. Got 26.2 (on the computer, don't care enough to manually log it). I haven't reset the lifetime trip monitor yet and currently reads 24.9.

I will say though on that trip I was thoroughly impressed with the 50-80 acceleration. After driving Golf R for work for 3 years I was worried about the punchiness on the highway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts