VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
801 - 820 of 862 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I placed an order yesterday for a cyber orange 2.0t FWD Mavvy with sunroof and sliding rear window. I've been looking at lightly used Mini S's and decided to nix it in favor of the Ford.

The sales bro said that the non-hybrids will be built faster and that anything with lots of add-ons will take longer.

The FB Maverick groups all have a similar sentiment. I'll be happy if it gets here by April 2023.

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
Going off into the weeds, but in a lot of ways... yeah, the Cavalier was a better car than any VW product back in the day. VWoA wouldn't have almost died entirely if the product was better.
Best selling has never been the definition of best.
It's all about trends, availability, dealer network, price, etc...
When something is trending AND affordable.. it really helps boost the appeal since it's a lower risk option.
The value quotient varies for everybody.
Some value the more immediate tactile experience- the dash strokers per say.
Some value the experience - the Apex Cutters.
Some value the cost of ownership and/or ease of self servicing - The Lada Riva Owners.
Etc.

edit.
Damn.. I sound like a self gratifying sanctimonious douche know it all.
At least I am self aware. lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Like I said, you're off in the weeds. You've seized on one thing about what I said and are running with it, while to me you're just missing the forest for the trees.

My overarching point, in response to bzcat's original estimation that Honda likely aren't working on a more direct Maverick competitor, was that they are so far up their own asses they likely don't understand why the Maverick is (by a metric anyone with an inkling of business sense measures it 😉) a rousing success. I'm sure they've convinced themselves that 40,000 Ridgelines—which is about the best they've done in the past fifteen years—is precisely the amount they wanted to sell.

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
The Alabama Auto Plant is Honda’s primary production source globally for light trucks and V-6 engines and is the sole producer of the Honda Odyssey minivan, the Honda Passport SUV, the Honda Pilot SUV, and the Honda Ridgeline pickup truck. The Lincoln facility has the capacity to manufacture 340,000 vehicles and engines annually and employs more than 4,500 associates.
(estimates based on 2021 US/Canada sales)
86k - Odyssey (wow- did not realize this was still selling this well)
151k - Pilot
56k - Passport
----------------------

340k max capacity - 293k non-Ridgelines = 47k available extra production capacity running 100% max.

This is why I bring up the business situation when it comes to vehicles and drivetrains offered.
Companies make decisions based on not just what they want to do, it's also what production capacity they have.
The US "big three" all originally bought stake in Japanese auto manufacturers in the 70s not to resell their cars as their own, but to gain access to their (non UAW) production capacities for parts.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Going off into the weeds, but in a lot of ways... yeah, the Cavalier was a better car than any VW product back in the day. VWoA wouldn't have almost died entirely if the product was better.
I beg to differ.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

The best part of my Cavalier was the price. It had cloth seats that smelled of B.O. The foam underneath the cloth had soaked up sweat from previous owners and stank. A coworker (who moonlighted as a shade tree mechanic) sprayed them with Febreeze so then it smelled like perfumed B.O. The seats got super-hot in the sun because the cloth was thin and the foam soaked up the heat. The brakes sucked. I worked on them, my coworker worked on them and a brake shop worked on them and they still sucked. One time on an overpass, I turned the wheels and it plowed straight ahead. It almost went over the edge but the tires caught right before it was curtains for me. I avoided that overpass if I was driving the Cavalier. I put 1000 OBO on my plates as a joke because there was no way anybody would have paid me that.

The Corrado on the other hand was a joy to drive and women loved it.

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
That looks like an 82-85 Cavalier. Versus a 92-94 Corrado?
Almost ten years newer should be way better even at the same price, right?

You do realize the 92 Corrado VR6 was almost double the price of the ZR4 Cavalier?

Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Car

For the price of a single 1992 VR6 Corrado I could just about get a Cavalier wagon and a Civic Si.
(Kinda nutz they put the same 3.1 V6 in both the ZR4 and the Wagon - optional)
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Water Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
My '93 Corrado had over 120K miles on it when I bought it so both were well used cars. In the good old days of the 1960s they would have both been in junkyards long before I bought them.

The worst parts of the Corrado were those items that had been messed up by previous owners.

The Corrado itself never let me down. One time the intake muffler blew up and one time I had to smack the load reduction relay but that was it. For the muffler, I zip tied it together and drove my Corrado to the dealer and bought a new one.

To be fair, the Cavalier only let me down once. I think it had the Iron Duke engine which was dull but reliable. I think the time it let me down was a hose that burst so that wasn't unheard of in an old car.

I have no idea how many miles the Cavalier had because American car companies didn't think their cars will live past 99,999.9 miles. It was assembled to the lowest possible standards in material and finish. I would put it right up there in Yugo territory.

I didn't mind the outer styling of the Caviler but didn't like driving it. If I had liked driving it, I would have wanted a Cimmaron.

·
Registered
48,560 Posts
Looking at data collated at 2022 US Pickup Truck Sales Figures By Model

The "Unibodys"
Ford Maverick YTD: 48,648
Honda Ridgeline YTD: 28,198
Hyundai Santa Cruz YTD: 23,903

Still a far cry from the king F-series of 420k. No GMC data for some reason. Then Tacoma at 182K, Tundra at 56K, and Ranger at 41K.
The Maverick is severely supply limited, otherwise that number would be considerably higher. How long it stays that way is anyone's guess.

They've been able to make 48k mavericks?
I was surprised, too.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,793 Posts
They've been able to make 48k mavericks?
Does make = sales?? Legit question.

I'd question if those numbers are orders or actual delivered vehicles.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,358 Posts
In a world free of supply and manufacturing bottlenecks, I think Ford could easily sell 150k Mavericks a year.

801 - 820 of 862 Posts