VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
821 - 840 of 862 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,793 Posts
In a world free of supply and manufacturing bottlenecks, I think Ford could easily sell 150k Mavericks a year.
The city buyers could buy them instead of crew cab side by sides for Park and Rec depts. and such. The fleet use case for the Maverick has to be huge, if only they could keep up.

·
Registered
51,424 Posts

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I find that Carmax is a good indicator of how inflated used car prices are. I checked their site, and Maverick Lariats with 3-8k miles are selling for $46k (vs. $34k MSRP new). The cheapest Maverick they have in inventory is a base XL with 15k miles for $33k ($21k MSRP new).

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
Go back and re-read; it wasn't me who brought it up.

Not surprised my comment triggered a response from a vee-dub fan though. 😄
We were just exploring the idea that better sales = better vehicles and I used the Cavalier being a top seller for so long as a counter point.
I think auto companies would much rather make 5k each on 50k cars sold than 1k each on 250k cars sold.
If you need to keep the plant production at X for other business reasons, you will add sales incentives to keep them selling if not selling quickly enough without incentives.
So pure sales numbers are never really that telling by themselves.
/tangent.
Was browsing Autotrader last night and found some new Rangers for below MSRP.
At this time in the market.. THAT is very telling.
I suspect some Ford loyalists that might have shopped a Ranger moved to the Maverick.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I suspect some Ford loyalists that might have shopped a Ranger moved to the Maverick.
🙋‍♂️

I was this close to buying a new Ranger about two months ago - found one on a dealer lot with no ADM. Test drove it, liked it, gave myself a few days to think it over. I decided that I would wait and order a 23 Maverick. I don't really need the 7k+ towing capacity of the Ranger, prefer the AWD of the Maverick vs the part time 4wd, and honestly it just doesn't "feel" like a $40k+ truck (more like $45k OTD).

Now that I have an order in for the Maverick, the wait is on. I may change my tune on the Ranger if it looks like I'm going to wait a year or more...or I might take a look a the new GM midsizers when they are available.

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
🙋‍♂️

I was this close to buying a new Ranger about two months ago - found one on a dealer lot with no ADM. Test drove it, liked it, gave myself a few days to think it over. I decided that I would wait and order a 23 Maverick. I don't really need the 7k+ towing capacity of the Ranger, prefer the AWD of the Maverick vs the part time 4wd, and honestly it just doesn't "feel" like a $40k+ truck (more like $45k OTD).

Now that I have an order in for the Maverick, the wait is on. I may change my tune on the Ranger if it looks like I'm going to wait a year or more...or I might take a look a the new GM midsizers when they are available.
I think this was the main reason the Ranger didn't get more praise with the press when released.
The fit and finish of the truck is a mixed bag even if the bones of the truck are good.
(definitely a sign that it was originally designed a decade ago for a different market even if released here much later)
Hopefully Ford addresses that with the next Ranger.. though I suspect it may be the new cheaply priced Regular cab Longbed F150 work truck spec analog as they streamline their production and the next Ranger gets seriously upsized.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Honda are probably thoroughly convinced that the Ridgeline is already the far superior product, and can't fathom why people buy Mavericks in the first place.
Honda has brought out the TrailSport trim on the SUV...I imagine they see their bread and butter is in the SUV--->wanna be rugged CUV segment.
IIRC the Trailsport and Ridgeline can add the trans cooler but they are scarce.
Me, for a utility runaround like the awd trucklets I'd prefer to pay low end to match my needs, then upgrade aftermarket...but the right combo of useful parts- skid plates, good enough shocks, tow pkg- priced right makes it easy.

The market will show what Americans will pay for...
Looks like the Maverick order book opened early and is just about filled up for 2023...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I think this was the main reason the Ranger didn't get more praise with the press when released.
The fit and finish of the truck is a mixed bag even if the bones of the truck are good.
(definitely a sign that it was originally designed a decade ago for a different market even if released here much later)
Hopefully Ford addresses that with the next Ranger.. though I suspect it may be the new cheaply priced Regular cab Longbed F150 work truck spec analog as they streamline their production and the next Ranger gets seriously upsized.
Good insight, thanks. I too am looking forward to the new Ranger just for real 4x4 low low and towing, above the easy to limit out numbers on the AWD platforms.
Seems if Ford could sell a basic "Tradesman" type fleet Ranger model with better mpg and power than the dated Taco IMHO they could make some real money...or at least capture market share otherwise stuck with aged Tacos for reliability.

Also cant understand why Ford cant improve reliability kaizen style on a key segment over time...unless they are just cash cowing the Ranger brand...🤔

Engineering focus and $$$ is probly pointed to EV and PHEV, which is fine for the suburban market but leaving truck customers in flyover country with only the increasingly pricey full sizes.

I guess Ford has data we dont see...but in the meantime the Colorado is looking good...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
We were just exploring the idea that better sales = better vehicles and I used the Cavalier being a top seller for so long as a counter point.
I think auto companies would much rather make 5k each on 50k cars sold than 1k each on 250k cars sold.
If you need to keep the plant production at X for other business reasons, you will add sales incentives to keep them selling if not selling quickly enough without incentives.
So pure sales numbers are never really that telling by themselves.
/tangent.
Was browsing Autotrader last night and found some new Rangers for below MSRP.
At this time in the market.. THAT is very telling.

View attachment 222723
Hmmm, Now thats useful- and insightful, TY.

Ranger sales cannibalized by Mavericks...?🤔
Good news for Ranger buyers...

Still waiting on the new gen...I'm pretty conservative- avoid first year on any new model/gen if the tech changes...let the early adopters beta test out the bugs...

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
I'm a big guy.
"You dont get in that truck,
You put it on..."
🤣
Fun story, my dad's first "new" truck was a 1991 Toyota Pickup. It was 2wd and single cab, bench seat, no AC, no radio. He's 6'4" and 250Lbs and had no issue getting in or out of it, nor did he have any issues while driving it.

I consider him a pretty big guy, so you must be a really big guy if you don't fit.

821 - 840 of 862 Posts