VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
841 - 860 of 862 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
And I recall Maverick is being made in Pueblo, MX?
Where the Baby Bronco is made...

Speaking as a "vee-dub" guy, whatever that means...I recall VW mk7s built there went thru a learning curve...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Fun story, my dad's first "new" truck was a 1991 Toyota Pickup. It was 2wd and single cab, bench seat, no AC, no radio. He's 6'4" and 250Lbs and had no issue getting in or out of it, nor did he have any issues while driving it.

I consider him a pretty big guy, so you must be a really big guy if you don't fit.
Heh...I fit just its like shrugging into a jacket.
Also drove a first gen taco single cab 4x4 for work awhile, on rough rutted trails, and bot another much later for Son, delivered to him on a 3500 mile trip cross country. Great little trucks.
No problem- just gotta adapt.
But lets go on a new thread to reminisce...

Save this for Maverick updates- appreciate the insight here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
No need to take it personal.
I imagine there is a subforum somewhere for y'all to reminisce...or go start a thread, vs jack a busy one and go OT... its a bit rude.
🤨

Projecting much? I haven't taken anything personal, and perhaps you shouldn't be so presumptuously rude.

(EDIT: )

Speaking as a "vee-dub" guy, whatever that means...
Uh-oh somebody is taking something personal... 😂

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Go back and re-read; it wasn't me who brought it up.

Not surprised my comment triggered a response from a vee-dub fan though. 😄
I don't need to go back. The poster who brought it up posted it as a joke. Since Cavaliers are common, they must be better than VWs. That was in reference to others that touted production figures as being some indication of quality. That was a joke.

You were the one who said they were good. I owned one and have a different opinion.

I have owned 13 used cars unless I missed a few. Seven were American. I am very familiar with almost worn-out American cars. The Caviler doesn't get a pass because it was used. Every American car I owned has been used. My 6th used American car was made in 1977. It's my daily driver and has been so since 2010. The first time I bought it new tires, they cost more than I paid for it. I would have never bought it new, but it has earned my respect. I am buying stuff for it all the time. I try to buy NOS parts for it because parts store parts don't last.

Maybe later Cavaliers were tolerable but mine was typical of that era of American economy cars. Lowest common denominator. Cheapest possible materials.

I have good things to say about each used car I have owned or driven. The only thing I like about the Cavalier is that it wasn't "sporty" so it didn't rattle your fillings out. It was just bla when it wasn't trying to dive off an overpass.

I know a guy that had a later blob shaped Cavalier and he liked it. Maybe the later ones weren't made by Nyquil.

This is VW Vortex so actual VW fans do come here. I wouldn't join a Chevy forum just to badmouth Cavaliers.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
44,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,358 Posts
Yeah, Ford is literally making as many of these as they CAN. I'm sure they'd prefer to be making 100k of them a year, but it's simply not possible due to the many lags and supply chain shortages.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
... Id imagine the polarizing styling isn’t doing it any favors either ...
It's funny reading this and seeing all the demand for the Maverick then looking at the title of this thread and how it kicked off...

I know there's a lot of factors, but I wonder if people are finding it refreshing & appealing that the Maverick is simply styled to look like a small functional pickup and nothing more... It's not trying to look futuristic or be a fashion statement. It has a purpose, and the designers put their effort into making it good at what it needs to do.

My old Honda Fit was a great example of designers desperately trying to make a vehicle look so unique that it ended up being a mess of angles and shapes. And it's a shame because for the price the Fit was functionally excellent, and even fun to drive, but I despised looking at it...

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
Looking at my area new models for sale- The 2.5 SE Sanra Cruz are all several grand over sticker. Suggesting there is a market for a slow front wheel drive 35k Ridgeline. Iirc, even the base Santa Cruz come fairly well equipped.
I suspect the Santa Cruz production is also stifled.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stellantis probably regrets that Fiat Toro was not engineered to meet FMVSS but I'm sure the next gen will be.
Stellantis COO for South America has already confirmed that RAM will get a unibody pickup truck based on the Small Wide platform. It will be slight bigger than the Toro.

VW cut the Taos based truck after dieselgate... would have been on the market about the same time as Maverick and Santa Cruz.
The VW Tarok development started after dieselgate and it is still on hold, because It's VW after all. Some say it might get the green light but only in 2025.

GM has multiple similar trucks in production or development in China and South America but I guess Mary is not interested.
Yep, Chevy Montana will be too small for US. It's supposedly smaller than the Santa Cruz.

Enviado de meu SM-G980F usando o Tapatalk

·
Registered
51,424 Posts
Yep, Chevy Montana will be too small for US. It's supposedly smaller than the Santa Cruz.

Enviado de meu SM-G980F usando o Tapatalk
I demand truth in naming! Montana is 50% larger than Colorado. And there is no comparison in size between Montana and Santa Cruz. A truck smaller than the Colorado should be named the Chevy Utah.

·
Registered
89,672 Posts
The old Chevy Tornado/Montano is a coupe' utility, so it's a different class. It's also tiny, slow, and very cheaply made (interior materials) to meet the demands of it's intended market.
That spy photo above though.. does seem like they are making it more US market friendly with the quad cab. Kind of changes it's cheap regular cab work truck market target.

841 - 860 of 862 Posts