VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
861 - 880 of 936 Posts

· Registered
27,153 Posts
The old Chevy Tornado/Montano is a coupe' utility, so it's a different class. It's also tiny, slow, and very cheaply made (interior materials) to meet the demands of it's intended market.
That spy photo above though.. does seem like they are making it more US market friendly with the quad cab. Kind of changes it's cheap regular cab work truck market target.
Montana is based on the B-segment platform like Fiat Strada and VW Saveiro, whereas Maverick, Santa Cruz, and Fiat Toro are C-segment size.

The old Montana was a 2 door because that's what the market used to demand but since Fiat Strada came out, it's obvious that the market demands for B-segment truck is trending towards 4 door as well.

The new Montana is basically truck version of Chevy Tracker (Trax) that we don't get in the US.

· Registered
319 Posts
Montana is based on the B-segment platform like Fiat Strada and VW Saveiro, whereas Maverick, Santa Cruz, and Fiat Toro are C-segment size.

The old Montana was a 2 door because that's what the market used to demand but since Fiat Strada came out, it's obvious that the market demands for B-segment truck is trending towards 4 door as well.

The new Montana is basically truck version of Chevy Tracker (Trax) that we don't get in the US.
Actually, the next generation Montana will move from the B-Segment as It´s expect to be to around 4,80m (188 in) in length, closer in size to the Toro (4,95m / 195 in) than to the Strada (4,48m / 177 in). Still too small compared to the Maverick though. Chevrolet calls it "C-Segment Compact".

· Registered
22,905 Posts
200ish Miles in. Love the truck so far. Drives like a car, easy to maneuver, peppy enough for what it is. Android auto with USB-C plug actually works well. Flexbed is easy, trimmed up a 2x6 and some 2x4s. Made easy work of some hardware store runs (Menards FTW), mulch hauling and taking wheels to tire shop. Been getting about 24mpg city, which is acceptable.

Only cons so far is I wish you could get keyless entry/start (Intelligent access Ford calls it) on the XLT as well as parking sensors. Need Lariat trim for both of those but I liked the Navy Pier interior of the XLT too much and the Lariat Desert Brown interior is hideous. Can't even get front parking sensors on any trim level. The B&O Sound system would of been nice too, but I'm guessing it won't be terribly hard to upgrade that stuff down the road. Really like the mid-level trim on the VWs like our Alltrack where I can get all those options without having to go to the top level.

6 Months and 5k Miles in, still mostly love the truck. Have sorted most of the NVH issues, one of which was the rear seat 15mm mounting nuts that sounded like someone was tapping a metal panel with a screwdriver every bump that developed around 2500 miles. Just loosening and retighting the nuts to 60ft/lbs fixed it. On my VWs they use the same softer seam sealer material where major components bolt up but on the Mav it was just a big metal bracket right onto the metal unibody.

However, I do have this dreaded windshield rattle when it's cold (below 45f). Seems to be an ongoing issue for some people. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/rattle-in-the-dash-a-minor-yet-major-annoyance.5422/ Anyone that has had their windshield replaced it seems to go away. If I crank the defrost and heated wiper park, it lessens quite a bit. When I get back from travelling for Thanksgiving week, going to reach out to my dealer since it's consistently cold now too. Going to try to work in the Lariat Acoustic windshield if I can. Wish that was a standalone option the XLTs.

After some research the Falken Wildpeaks I have are decent in snow but terrible on ice, which most of the winter here in IL is more icy than snow on the roads. So popped for a dedicated winter setup with Blizzak DM V2s and Sparco Terras. Also have always liked bronze wheels on the cactus gray ever since I saw a pic of one before I bought the truck.

Curious to see how the AWD system works in snow since it's transverse, part-time AWD similar to the Haldex system in my Golf R & Alltrack.

· Registered
8,168 Posts
That looks great.

Been seeing people on FB saying they scored trucks off the lot at msrp much more often the last few weeks. Make me want to try, but I suspect it's a part time job making phone calls and sending emails, so I don't.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,406 Posts
That looks great.

Been seeing people on FB saying they scored trucks off the lot at msrp much more often the last few weeks. Make me want to try, but I suspect it's a part time job making phone calls and sending emails, so I don't.
I can't see if these are on the lot or not but they have 25 in inventory and all appear to be MSRP. They could all be sold already too, who knows.

EDIT: They're all just XL's too so not much fun there.

· Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
23,656 Posts
Next time I visit my dealer, I might need to have them look at my one wiper. When I had my windshield replaced, I don't think they put it on in the correct orientation. Just mildly annoying.

But over 12k miles so far since April, and still love the truck.

· Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
2,108 Posts
You don’t really hear too much about the Hyundai trucklet anymore. I’ve seen several Mavericks compared to every Santa Cruz that I’ve seen.
I've seen a couple, but half as many as the Maverick, which isn't a huge number either. My next door neighbor has a slate blue Maverick with the off road package or whatever it's called, and I like it. Looks kind of rugged but fits nicely in an apartment parking lot. But as a car lounger I'd still rather have an old ranger or taco

· Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,607 Posts
I know I'm a bit late but it's a Z24 not a ZR4....

That looks like an 82-85 Cavalier. Versus a 92-94 Corrado?
Almost ten years newer should be way better even at the same price, right?

You do realize the 92 Corrado VR6 was almost double the price of the ZR4 Cavalier?

View attachment 222637

For the price of a single 1992 VR6 Corrado I could just about get a Cavalier wagon and a Civic Si.
(Kinda nutz they put the same 3.1 V6 in both the ZR4 and the Wagon - optional)
View attachment 222638
View attachment 222639

· Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,790 Posts
I want to buy a stripper model for my kid. Wife is afraid "grandma" will be asking for too many inconvenient Home Depot haul runs.
I feel like it would be a great first car but I'm conflicted because I really want my kids to have manuals for their first cars. They're current 9 months and 3 years though, who the **** knows what will be around in 15 years.

With that said, where's the damn Maverick 6MT variant? C'mon FORD. I would totally buy a FWD/6MT/Gas model (used, in 5-10 years when its depreciated under $10,000).

· Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,976 Posts
I feel like it would be a great first car but I'm conflicted because I really want my kids to have manuals for their first cars. They're current 9 months and 3 years though, who the **** knows what will be around in 15 years.

With that said, where's the damn Maverick 6MT variant? C'mon FORD. I would totally buy a FWD/6MT/Gas model (used, in 5-10 years when its depreciated under $10,000).
^^ That's why they won't build it. Anyone who wants one will "just wait" until they are used but no one will buy them new. :cool:

· Registered
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, 2020 Ford Transit Crew
40 Posts
We ordered placed our order for a Carbonized Grey Maverick XLT Hybrid back on November 21st 2021 and we picked it up on October 28th. When we ordered it, we were debating between getting an AWD Ecoboost and the FWD Hybrid. It would have been nice to have AWD for our Canadian Winters, but we really wanted the Hybrid and the Maverick replaced our 2013 Ford Fusion which was FWD and we've done just fine in the winter and the Maverick having a bit more ground clearance is just a bonus.

So we put 4 studded Winter Tire on the Black FX4 wheels and we have just over 1800km on it now. My wife commute to work is about 18km/11mileseach way with a mixture of city/highway driving and she easily does 8.5 to 9km on All Electric each way. So on a 36km round trip to work and back, she's does 17 to 18km on Electric. Last week she averaged 6.5L/100km or 43.5mpg for the week including letting the Maverick warm up for about 10 minutes every morning. In the city we are easily getting 4 to 4.5L/100km.

As for the truck itself, we are really enjoying it. We really like the look of it, it feels quite solid on the road, and it's quite spacious inside. My only complaints is that I wish we had defrosting mirrors, reverse sensors, and there is a lot of plastic inside, but it's to be expected at that price point. I must say they did a nice job with the interior plastics/color scheme.

I've owned 2 late 90s Ford Ranger in the past, so it's nice to finally have another truck similar in size that can fit 4 adults comfortably while getting awesome gas mileage.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Truck
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Gauge Tachometer

861 - 880 of 936 Posts