VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be interesting to see how many potentially overlooked car deals may be found in this rough market.

I get the feeling some of these will just prime Hoovie bait but whatever, it's part of the fun.

Here's three I'll start with --

2005 Mazda3s Sedan - $3,900: looks clean (no apparent rust, a miracle for a Mazda of this age), decent miles, probably a great choice for a first-time driver (or a cheapskate).

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

2000 Jaaaaag S-Type V8 - $5,000: seems like an "old man" special, driven less than 5k miles a year.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

2005 Lincoln LS V8 - $5,300: forgot these were a thing, 93k, paint could use a bit of a refresh but inexpensive V8 sleeper?

Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
2000 Jaaaaag S-Type V8 - $5,000: seems like an "old man" special, driven less than 5k miles a year.

2005 Lincoln LS V8 - $5,300: forgot these were a thing, 93k, paint could use a bit of a refresh but inexpensive V8 sleeper?

It's the same as the thing above it. These were both from the Ford D/EW98 platform.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
If you can get past its derpy looks, the 500L is one of the few newish cars that is readily available in the following ranges:

- <$10k - 100k+ miles
-$10k to 15k - 50k to 100k miles
- $15k to 17k - <50k miles

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
Shopping for a "cheap" car right now. Never seen so many salvage title, 250k + mile heaps going for $5k plus. Just crazy.

Going to look at this on Saturday - 2008 Outback,
iles, 1 owner, maintained, garaged, etc. $7600.
Seems kind of expensive but that is $1k under NADA and I'm seeing comparables in the $10k range.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
My neighbor put their early (1998) auto trans E46 sedan out on the street with a FS sign the other day. I forget the price, maybe $3,800 or so with what seemed like reasonable miles for the age. If it were a stick I'd consider it, but don't need another car. It seems like a decent price in this market.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,167 Posts
Shopping for a "cheap" car right now. Never seen so many salvage title, 250k + mile heaps going for $5k plus. Just crazy.

Going to look at this on Saturday - 2008 Outback,
iles, 1 owner, maintained, garaged, etc. $7600.
Seems kind of expensive but that is $1k under NADA and I'm seeing comparables in the $10k range.
Oof. I had an '08 Outback, same trim/config as the one you posted. Paid $2k for it with bad head gaskets (external leak) and having sat for over a year. Had 130k miles on it at the time.

Sold it to a family member last year for $4k (market on it was about $5k) with 145k on it.

Granted, not much out there like a Subaru wagon when it comes to comfortable, AWD, (mostly) reliable. But damn, $8-10k for a 14 year old Subie does sting a little. Only reason being that in the 100-150k mile range, there are a number of items that start wearing out like wheel bearings and such.

Another pre-Covid comp was my sister's '11 3.6R with 30k miles on it that was $11k in 2019.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
On the bad deal side of things:

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

2WD, 222k miles, salvage title, all yours for $7600.

·
Registered
22,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of Toyota trucks, a comparison of two 2005 Tundras:

This one, Limited - $16,000: 163k miles, shady pics (no clear front or rear shots), lift kit plus interior and wheel/tire mods...

The other, SR5 - $17,500: 41k miles (!), clean, bone stock outside of an aftermarket exhaust, hides nothing.

The funny part is I still think they're both overpriced like most Toyota trucks but I could almost not fault someone for buying the SR5 for around that price given the condition.

I could sadly see someone buying that Limited and thinking they got a killer deal...

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
Oof. I had an '08 Outback, same trim/config as the one you posted. Paid $2k for it with bad head gaskets (external leak) and having sat for over a year. Had 130k miles on it at the time.

Sold it to a family member last year for $4k (market on it was about $5k) with 145k on it.

Granted, not much out there like a Subaru wagon when it comes to comfortable, AWD, (mostly) reliable. But damn, $8-10k for a 14 year old Subie does sting a little. Only reason being that in the 100-150k mile range, there are a number of items that start wearing out like wheel bearings and such.

Another pre-Covid comp was my sister's '11 3.6R with 30k miles on it that was $11k in 2019.

Yeah, my brain is still tuned to pre-covid market. The one I posted seems like it should be $5500-$6k. Maybe next summer it will be..?..? IDK, we need to get something now. I was surprised NADA is $8600 on these. Maybe book values are reflecting COVID pricing?

Was going to post a couple "normal" priced ones for this area. One posting at $9k+ is already gone.
This one is still active. I think the only reason the one I'm interested in is still available is because it is way out in the middle of nowhere. The town it's in is very domestic centered. Still may not make it to Saturday.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
22,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2005 LR3 $4,000 - 212k miles...

Looks clean, no Christmas tree on the dash, passed emissions. Did these have air suspension?

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Yeah, my brain is still tuned to pre-covid market. The one I posted seems like it should be $5500-$6k. Maybe next summer it will be..?..? IDK, we need to get something now. I was surprised NADA is $8600 on these. Maybe book values are reflecting COVID pricing?

Was going to post a couple "normal" priced ones for this area. One posting at $9k+ is already gone.
This one is still active. I think the only reason the one I'm interested in is still available is because it is way out in the middle of nowhere. The town it's in is very domestic centered. Still may not make it to Saturday.

View attachment 197286
Last year I paid $5500 to buy an outback for a family member that had $5000 in recent work (heads, brakes, new AC compressor etc) but was a bit rough cosmetically, and needed a bit of work.

Deals are still out there. It is always a matter of being in the right place, at the right time. More important than ever to go private party as well.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
2005 LR3 $4,000 - 212k miles...

Looks clean, no Christmas tree on the dash, passed emissions. Did these have air suspension?

They do have air suspension, but these are considered some of the most reliable LR products from that era. The LR3/Range Rover Sport platform used Jaguar's AJ V8,a ZF 6-speed and "better" electronics (I think sourced from Ford) from the very beginning, compared to the L322 fullsize Range Rover which used BMW engines, a less reliable 5-speed transmission and BMW electronics for several years early in its run.

·
Registered
22,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They do have air suspension, but these are considered some of the most reliable LR products from that era. The LR3/Range Rover Sport platform used Jaguar's AJ V8,a ZF 6-speed and "better" electronics (I think sourced from Ford) from the very beginning, compared to the L322 fullsize Range Rover which used BMW engines, a less reliable 5-speed transmission and BMW electronics for several years early in its run.
Interesting...

Almost makes me wish I had four grand to play with (or burn).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts