VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 873 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installled Eurodyne stage 1.5 93 octane tune on my 6sd manual yesterday. Was doing 60mph on the highway and downshifted into 4th, stepped on the throttle and noticed my rpm decrease about 500 rpm. There have been other instances where I noticed the rpm drop. Only mod I have is the Eurodyne tune. The car currently has 7k miles and I have been grannying the clutch since I got the car. Never launched the car.

I read on another thread of a guy with the same problem but on a 14' GLI with APR tune, intake, and downpipe. I quote his post "Well it turns out my head gasket was leaking oil at only 6k miles on the car and it apparently leaked down onto the clutch. Since it was fixed I don't have any clutch slip..... Yet that is. I'm still skeptical I've had a lot of issues with this car and it's brand new. I just don't see how a head gasket goes bad at 6k miles and like I said I barely drive it hard. Must be just ****ty build quality or I just got the bad apple of the bunch I dunno."

Is anyone else with tunes or even stock experiencing any clutch slip or has had the leaking head gasket problem?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Was doing 60mph on the highway and downshifted into 4th, stepped on the throttle and noticed my rpm decrease about 500 rpm. There have been other instances where I noticed the rpm drop.
Shouldn't your RPMs be increasing if your clutch is slipping?

·
Registered
273 Posts
So I installled Eurodyne stage 1.5 93 octane tune on my 6sd manual yesterday. Was doing 60mph on the highway and downshifted into 4th, stepped on the throttle and noticed my rpm decrease about 500 rpm. There have been other instances where I noticed the rpm drop. Only mod I have is the Eurodyne tune. The car currently has 7k miles and I have been grannying the clutch since I got the car. Never launched the car.

I read on another thread of a guy with the same problem but on a 14' GLI with APR tune, intake, and downpipe. I quote his post "Well it turns out my head gasket was leaking oil at only 6k miles on the car and it apparently leaked down onto the clutch. Since it was fixed I don't have any clutch slip..... Yet that is. I'm still skeptical I've had a lot of issues with this car and it's brand new. I just don't see how a head gasket goes bad at 6k miles and like I said I barely drive it hard. Must be just ****ty build quality or I just got the bad apple of the bunch I dunno."

Is anyone else with tunes or even stock experiencing any clutch slip or has had the leaking head gasket problem?
quite a few people are experiencing a slipping clutch already, even with just a neuspeed power module. Apparently the DSG is better for handling more power than the 6mt is.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I haven't noticed any oil anywhere, I've been in my engine monkeying around a couple times. Also haven't noticed any leaking water or other fluids. I know some people have had issues with water pumps. I'm not really sure what the deal is, my guess right now is that the clutch has a hard time with the extra power. Of course, that doesn't explain people having the same issue stock.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
A leaking rear main seal could cause the slipping as well. Increased boost pressure can cause higher crankcase pressure if the PCV setup cannot handle the increased flow from blow by gasses. Could be that the rear main seal is the weak link and crankcase pressure with the increased boost caused it to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
quite a few people are experiencing a slipping clutch already, even with just a neuspeed power module. Apparently the DSG is better for handling more power than the 6mt is.
Seriously? That's terrible news. I havent heard of any slipping until now. I have 10k miles and had the NPM for about 2k miles. No slipping yet. :beer::beer::beer:

What are your driving styles? Really curious how you are all driving your car everyday. How many launches? Any track days? do you power shift? always depress the clutch in all the way for each shift?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Stage 2 and no slip here. When I thrash the car really hard for 15 minutes and park it there is a slight whiff of clutch sometimes, but this is also doing like 10 launches in a row. I'm actually impressed with the lack of slip at these power levels.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Definitely got slip here, only in 5th and 6th with a hard acceleration though. Took 10k+ miles with intake, and tune (had just added downpipe when I noticed slip, so maybe that was the mod that pushed the clutch over the edge). Had I known about the issues in the past with the manual trans cars, I probably would have gone ahead and got a DSG myself...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It definitely sounds like its slipping, but whether that's from a leak (rear main seal, like someone mentioned above) or accelerated wear from the tune will be hard to tell until the trans is dropped and the clutch disc inspected.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Stage 2 and no slip here. When I thrash the car really hard for 15 minutes and park it there is a slight whiff of clutch sometimes, but this is also doing like 10 launches in a row. I'm actually impressed with the lack of slip at these power levels.
How long have you been running v5 Greg?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your driving styles? Really curious how you are all driving your car everyday. How many launches? Any track days? do you power shift? always depress the clutch in all the way for each shift?

No launches, no track days, no power shifts, yes I depress clutch all the way for each shift.

If i do push the car its in 4th or 5th gear never from stop.

Installed eurodyne stage 1.5 v5 and noticed my clutch slip the same day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To confirm, you drive a manual correct?

If so this makes me think some of the clutches may possibly be defective since your not getting slip in stage 2.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Seriously? That's terrible news. I havent heard of any slipping until now. I have 10k miles and had the NPM for about 2k miles. No slipping yet. :beer::beer::beer:

Yeah, so no track days, no power shifting (some speed shifting though tbh - not a ton), def depress the clutch all the way. If I launch I typically "soft" launch, not super hard pedal mashing. 50% of the time I have my daughter in the car, so I go easy. 25% of the time when she isn't in the car, I'm in ****ty traffic. That gives me, at best, 25% of the time where I can drive hard - and I don't kill it, I just get on it a bit more. The first time I really hard launched my car is when I had the issue (also was a day after installing new v5). The only reason I launched my car so hard subsequently was to see if I could repeat the issue. I'm now running stage 1 as opposed to stage 1.5 and I have had no issues, and no more blinky gear lights. Don't really want to try and launch that hard again though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe, just maybe...

Your traction control was coming on in 4th gear? Trying to stop wheelspin?

Stage 1.5 Tune....New York Winter...Stock Tires (?)...

Just sayin

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Had I known about the issues in the past with the manual trans cars, I probably would have gone ahead and got a DSG myself...
You would have rather spent $1100 on an automatic than a performance clutch kit? :screwy:

I'm pretty sure there's no issue with the clutches, just the hubris of owners who think they can get away with this kind of power on stock components. You gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no issue with the clutches said:
I agree with A A RonMan, what do you expect with ~320 lb/ft of torque. This didn't happen in mk4/5 because no one hit those levels on just tunes. Anyone that went with a larger turbo knew they needed a clutch. Now tuned cars make mk4 1.8t gt28rs levels of hp and tq it really shouldn't be a surprise. And I don't really agree about the dsg vs manual. If you wanted to make reliable cheap power all day long you should have bought a gm ls engined vehicle - or be prepared to pay.

1 - 20 of 873 Posts