VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

861 - 873 of 873 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having problems getting the hydraulic line back into my master cylinder I get it to lock in I press down on the clutch the clutch hits the floor and it pops out any ideas
I had the same thing, the clutch takes A LONG time to bleed. And also the master cylinder MUST BE TOPPED OFF at all times, if it gets less then like 90% full, it wont work.
We bled and bled but always hit the floor since we didnt keep it full.
Once we kept it at 95-100% full, took us maybe 10min to bleed it

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is some great info.
Was the warning just for MR kits with the MS kits not causing any issue?
The warning is for the MR kit that's got a higher diaphragm load. I specifically grilled the rep with these specs because I didn't want to load the thrust bearing much more than from the factory and get that chewed to pieces. MS kits don't apply anywhere near as much force, as it turns out, so I went with the MS twin disc. Logged about 10k miles since the install and haven't experienced anything funky, yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I’d suggest an iabed rear main seal while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone tested the RST clutch?

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...-clutch-kit-for-golf-mk7-r-gti-and-clubsport/

At the moment I have a hybrid TTRS (clutch grip) + Sachs disc and the clutch works great but is not able to hold more than 500Nm - 370 ft/lbs.

I am looking for an alternative so that the clutch pedal is still like in this hybrid "perfect for daily drive", but maintained at least 550-560 Nm. (410 ft/lbs.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this ACT clutch installed earlier this week. Stage 2 EQT OTS tune.

I've only got about 50 miles on it so far, so I can't give it a full review yet. Here are some things worth noting:

• I don't think it's much firmer than stock. I live in Houston, so when the world isn't upside-down my life is stop and go traffic. However, I don't think the clutch pedal effort will be noticeably worse than stock.
  • I did a lot of research before choosing this clutch and while ACT isn't very well-known among VW, it's got a good reputation with Subarus and Hondas
  • it's good for 500 ft-lbs
  • the engagement is much quicker than stock ("grabby"). Not in a bad way - I've just had to adjust how I use the clutch - much like if I had just gotten a new car.
  • It's noisy. The guy that installed it said it was the first time they'd (euro performance shop) installed an ACT clutch. He said it was the loudest SMFW they'd ever heard. The rattly-tractor sound is noticeable from several feet away at idle with the AC on. I can just barely hear it from inside the car with the windows up and music on low volume.
  • I had the iabed RMS installed at the same time, total labor was like $810

I'm really TRYING to be gentle on it for the break-in period, but it feels really good so far. The only thing I'm not thrilled with so far is the noise.

I was going to buy the SB stage 3 daily, but this clutch is comparable for a couple hundred less; from the reviews I've read, I anticipate the quality and performance to be just as good, too.

Reactions: efeezy and RMinNJ

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know this as been covered and if there are some threads on this issue, please point me in the right direction.
Have a 2018 MK7.5 GTI autobahn, MT's. Pushing 360HP.
Clutch is slipping in the higher gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd are ok, only when I down shift say from 6th to 4th, monster slippage.
Ideas from the masses. Single mass Flywheel vs Dual?
Keep the dual and upgrade all other parts? replace all parts?
appreciate any input.
thanks

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
So I did a bunch of reasearch earlier this year about the clutches. I'm slowly piecing together a daily driveable IS38 setup for my 2018 GTI S.

DAP puts together a kit with a TTRS pressure plate plus an ordinary SACHS 240mm clutch and is supposed to be good for nearly 430lb/ft. Are there any other sprung clutches besides the organic compound OEM ones that might match well with the TTRS PP and Dual Mass flywheel to bump the torque handling a bit more?

·
Registered
719 Posts
RSR vs TTRS vs Sachs SRE with stock DMF

Ok would somebody help me find the differences between those 3 clutches and tell me if the following points are right?

To my understanding:

RSR and TTRS are very similar and both use a the stock clutch disc with an upgraded pressure plate (the one the Audi TTRS uses) that has more clamping force.

Sachs is different than the other two and is oem+ clutch. Don’t need to cheat the pilot holes on PP. It’s direct fit. Like the RSR-TTRS it has more clamping force.

Disc is different than the RSR/TTRS as it’s not the oem you find on the 6MT GTI. Material of the disc seems different, isn’t it?

Most reading makes me think the RSR/TTRS has more oem feel after break-in period. The SACHS remains slightly stiffer after break-in.

Thanks
I assumed all the above assumptions were correct and have pulled the trigger on the Sachs SRE kit from FCP (plus the recommended rear main seal). I hope my crank bearings are cool with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I assumed all the above assumptions were correct and have pulled the trigger on the Sachs SRE kit from FCP (plus the recommended rear main seal). I hope my crank bearings are cool with it.
Had that Sachs SRE clutch installed in the fall of 2015 after cool weather increased the boost beyond the ability of the stock clutch. I have a Stage One APR tune. As of today there are no issues, still works fine after about 40,000 miles. I have noticed that my left leg is larger than the right one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Had that Sachs SRE clutch installed in the fall of 2015 after cool weather increased the boost beyond the ability of the stock clutch. I have a Stage One APR tune. As of today there are no issues, still works fine after about 40,000 miles. I have noticed that my left leg is larger than the right one.
Great to hear! I know I shouldn't worry about the crank walk "thing" (from a statistical standpoint) but it's hard not to, and great to get a positive data point.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry, I know this is an OLD issue, But looking at upgrading clutch.
2018 GTI autobahn
APR stage1
IC
CAI
turbo inlet
exhaust

Following options over 400ft/lbs
TTRS mod; 430ft/lbs
Sachs performance; 405ft/lbs
RSR; 480ft/lbs
want to keep DMF.

Same feel as OEM or close to it, daily driver, been on the track twice, maybe again when this COVID crap goes away.

appreciate the help...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would be very interested to hear what solution ends up working best for you. I owned a 2007 MK5 GTI and now a 2016 MK7. Both times I have gone DSG. I was advised when I went Stage 2 on my MK7 to apply the transmission tune and it has worked well for nearly 3 years. Good luck.

861 - 873 of 873 Posts