VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy MKV world. I always hated the mk5s but now here i am with one as a daily and im loving it.

Recently picked up a mk5 as a new daily. i have a CC that blew up a few years ago and is now my slow progress project that im building as a street/ fun track toy. heres a pic of the cc back in its stance stage a few years back

back to the jetta. It was in a front end collision and the po did the mk6 front end swap. I was actually planning on buying a wrecked mk5 from auction that needed a front end so i could do this exact thing till i found this for sale. It obviously needs paint. the interior needed some love, the flex pipe was seperated, and the shifter was super jacked up and could barely get it into gear. Its on airlift bags with v2 management and came with a buttload of parts.

I got a new downpipe on and a cat, it has a bad leak but it works or now. the one shifter bracket pin was seized so that was making side to side movement of the shifter near impossible, was able to get it apart with some elbow grease and get it cleaned out and its good as new now. I got most of the interior back together but i still need a new center console as you can see the hole in the current one. It came with the GLI wheel and rsd330. It was missing a vent but i have already replaced that as well as the ebay AC knobs. I Plan on doing a GLI cluster, BFI shift knob and custom boot as well as painting the radio surrounding and some other trim piano black.

Driver seat has a tear in it but I am going to swap the seats out with either my CC seats or some corbeau bucket seats i have. playing aruond to see what it would take to get the cc rear seats in

The tires on the detroits were beyond bald so these austins are on here for now until my new wheels get in

These are the summer wheels that i ordered. Fifteen52 R43 19x8.5

Whole goal with this car is to be something thats fun to drive. I like the corners more then a straightline which works well since this is a 2.5 but i can already feel myself moving towards slapping a turbo on this :laugh:

Its currently missing the fsb due to the slam series bags. Im going to machine brackets for it and throw on a hotchkis front bar i have. I also have these IDF rear arms and H&R rsb. The jetta already has IDF camber arms out back and ECS toe arms.

It currently has brand new 034 street density motor mounts but the passenger side has alot of play so its going to get replaced. the dog bone mount needs to be replaced and well looking at it i found the subframe is cracked at the dog bone mount. most likely due to the collision.

Going to swap out the subframe and at the same time do aluminum control arms and spindles from a CC. I also plan on doing some big brakes. Most likely 986 calipers but not for sure yet.

I say i want to keep this simple so i can go more crazy with my CC but i already am looking at some parts and possibly making a drive to pick up something very special for this. for now here is my new turd daily

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going to be picking up a new rear end shortly to swap out on the jetta. going to spray the subframe and then swap out all the arms for my own ones.

Heres my LCA design

this is the rear end im working on for my CC. its gonna have all heims and billet spindles but for the jetta im sticking with stock spindles and no heims since its a daily.

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
772 Posts
Looks like you definitely know where you’re taking this project. Good luck with the rebuild and new build.

I personally hate the mk6 front end on a mk5 but it’s your car, so roll with it if you like it.

I love the wheels, I had a line on some 17” tarmacs and a set of r43 a little while back but they sold before I got some money together(because I had to buy new tires for my 16” stockers). Instead I’m putting the money towards intake and exhaust and a tune.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks man! my whole car seems to be either a love or hate build so far with the mk6 front end the the r49 wheels. everyone has either loved them or completely hated them. Im a big fan of Fifteen52 wheels, want to get a set of turbomacs for my cc.

Dont have alot of pics of progress. My 18z calipers will be here today. need to strip them and paint them. Stainless lines and rotors should be here tomorrow and try to get it all on this weekend. I have a TTRS Master cylinder to go on with them as well. not too concerned about getting that on till i end up doing the rear bbk aswell. I also might be picking up a golf R front bumper this weekend off a buddy for cheap.

Im dyeing the headlinger black and swapping out all the other stuff with black version. had found a CC sunroof console for good deal so test fit the one out of my cc to see if it fits in the jetta but its just slightly taller in the end and doesnt quite fit. i could make it work but think it would end up looking goofy.

Also started desoldering some stuff to get to the leds. needed to check what size i needed but i am going to be swapping all the red ones out with white ones. try to make it feel a little more modern.

and finally just a little shot when i was visiting my parents. there house always makes a cool backdrop. use to be the old local grange in the small farming town

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
772 Posts
thanks man! my whole car seems to be either a love or hate build so far with the mk6 front end the the r49 wheels. everyone has either loved them or completely hated them. Im a big fan of Fifteen52 wheels, want to get a set of turbomacs for my cc.

Dont have alot of pics of progress. My 18z calipers will be here today. need to strip them and paint them. Stainless lines and rotors should be here tomorrow and try to get it all on this weekend. I have a TTRS Master cylinder to go on with them as well. not too concerned about getting that on till i end up doing the rear bbk aswell. I also might be picking up a golf R front bumper this weekend off a buddy for cheap.

Im dyeing the headlinger black and swapping out all the other stuff with black version. had found a CC sunroof console for good deal so test fit the one out of my cc to see if it fits in the jetta but its just slightly taller in the end and doesnt quite fit. i could make it work but think it would end up looking goofy.

Also started desoldering some stuff to get to the leds. needed to check what size i needed but i am going to be swapping all the red ones out with white ones. try to make it feel a little more modern.

and finally just a little shot when i was visiting my parents. there house always makes a cool backdrop. use to be the old local grange in the small farming town

Hey if you don’t want the wheels anymore, I’ll take them off your hands😉...I’ll pay for shipping you just consider it helping a fellow dubber with your goodwill...lol

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lowered my wifes passat this weekend. Shes had this a few years now after the tdi buyback. use to have a mk5 tdi in a manual. we had it straight piped and a few other small things.

This is the only before pic i could find

heres the after

springs are H&R Super sports for a mk7. got them cheap used. Needs new summer wheels now. these are austin reps and are 17s, gonna pick up some 18 mallorys for it which should look pretty good

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
772 Posts
Ive always wanted brown seats so I decided to make it happen

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Looks good, what u use? Spray dye?

Looks oe....

Passat looks nice I like the Austin’s on it...even if reps. I do think it needs less tire on it, the 17s make the tire look too thick

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks good, what u use? Spray dye?

Looks oe....

Passat looks nice I like the Austin’s on it...even if reps. I do think it needs less tire on it, the 17s make the tire look too thick
thanks i used SEM Car interior Paint made for Leather and Vinyl. it usually comes in a pint or gallon but you can also get it in spray cans. i test it on a head rest first and was pretty shocked by the stuff. covered over the black very easily. after 30 min was dry, looked and felt OE and taking a screw driver to it didnt scratch it. I had 2 cans which barely did 1 seat. Im getting a few more cans ordered so i can get drivers Seat, Door cards, Arm Rest and mabye shift boot done as well. Once i get the CC rear seats all the way in ill get those died too. Im really shocked by this stuff and how i really have barely seen any one else do it. It will look alot better once my headliner and pillars are black too i just ran out of the black dye for that as well so waiting to get more.

The austins do look good but i agree less tire would be better.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts