VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1959 Posts

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Still twins after all these years.
Note my missing frame chunk though.
You want to steer right full lock and flex front right stuffed left front drooped all the way out.
As the knuckle rotates it also raises cause of the kingpin axis, so your drag link is closest to the frame at that point.
Ha yup, your build, imped (but with 44s) and a few others plus some Blaine comments on various Jeep forums are what I based mine one.

I recall you needing to notch, I'll see where mine ends up once I get the height right and figure out the up travel to fudge some bumps. If I do need to notch it I'll wait until spring I just want it back together to drive it again and make sure I have it as a back up car for the winter since I need to park my A3 when it gets cold. Not like it would end up in that situation on the road.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Has the transmission issues been worked out on those? I've always like the way they looked, even the first gen Trailhawks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Has the transmission issues been worked out on those? I've always like the way they looked, even the first gen Trailhawks.
I've not had any issues with mine at all - I hear most of the issues have been worked out in the Gen2. The only issue I've had is some 'missed quality control' on some exterior window trim, which I'll get replaced under warranty. I have about 8k miles on it so far, and it does on road and off road surprisingly well.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
It's almost been 3 years.. but light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible! (bought a house, started a new business etc..)

Testing stuff this morning..

tight but no touching

plenty of room.. this is the last thing (the double shear and some bracing for it) weld before I clean up and paint the axle... and do the gears somewhere in there.

oops... this is what hits on a full driver stuff.. front driveshaft hits mount for the upper link. My TC is is very tucked (nothing below frame rails) which is messing with this angle for the driveshaft. 99% sure though that my shocks would be the limit right now before this and would need to be bumped well before it hit. Going to notch the mount anyway to make sure it won't be an issue. Need to get a front DS made though so not a worry anytime soon.

Didn't take a pic but passenger side stuff hits radiator drain first, need to find a shorter radiator and then go from there to see what hits.

Trying to go camping in 2 weeks with it.. we'll see.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
From Jeep guy's perspective, what is the consensus on Rough Country lifts? It should be noted that the kit wouldn't see for serious off-roading, rather more a 'beach-cruiser' build.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If you're looking at stuff for JKs then generally RC lifts hold true to the Rough naming when it comes to the ride. If you're just beach cruising then go for a spacer lift and shock extensions. Make sure you do a couple extras with the lift like rear brake line relocators and the front control arm drop brackets if you go for anything bigger than 2in.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
If you're looking at stuff for JKs then generally RC lifts hold true to the Rough naming when it comes to the ride. If you're just beach cruising then go for a spacer lift and shock extensions. Make sure you do a couple extras with the lift like rear brake line relocators and the front control arm drop brackets if you go for anything bigger than 2in.
This would be for a JL... looking at the 2.5" spacer lift w/shock extensions.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
This would be for a JL... looking at the 2.5" spacer lift w/shock extensions.
Hated the RC lift on the TJ, currently down to only the rear springs left having gone to Bilstein 5100s all around and now have Currie springs up front. As noted above the Rough part of the name is quite true. Mine is from 10 years ago and I think they have made some improvements in shock selection at least but haven't tried them.

Since this would not be changing the shocks or springs then it being RC or any other company having the parts made by the same dude in China and relabeling then it really won't matter. Ride quality won't change as that will be up to the springs and shocks. Since you are spacing both out and they are just going to operate in the same range for a given height, again it won't change how they feel/work under normal conditions.

2.5" you start to hit the point where angles of things like track bars and driveline can get funky, so just be prepared for that if you happen to have one that just doesn't like the lift you might be looking at some other parts. 4 doors will be much less picky about the driveline angles, but stuff like track bars twisting is the same for all.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Hated the RC lift on the TJ, currently down to only the rear springs left having gone to Bilstein 5100s all around and now have Currie springs up front. As noted above the Rough part of the name is quite true. Mine is from 10 years ago and I think they have made some improvements in shock selection at least but haven't tried them.

Since this would not be changing the shocks or springs then it being RC or any other company having the parts made by the same dude in China and relabeling then it really won't matter. Ride quality won't change as that will be up to the springs and shocks. Since you are spacing both out and they are just going to operate in the same range for a given height, again it won't change how they feel/work under normal conditions.

2.5" you start to hit the point where angles of things like track bars and driveline can get funky, so just be prepared for that if you happen to have one that just doesn't like the lift you might be looking at some other parts. 4 doors will be much less picky about the driveline angles, but stuff like track bars twisting is the same for all.
Kinda assuming that all spacer lifts are pretty much the same thing. I am leaning with the RC spacer lift because it keeps the ride quality and it's budget-friendly. However, in an ideal world, I'd like to go with the Mopar kit, just not sure I can justify the $1500 price tag + install.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Split the difference between RC and Mopar and you are looking at a Teraflex spacer lift with shock externsions at $435. It's a bit overpriced in my opinion but I will vouch for Teraflex' quality, R&D, support, and level of completeness in the kit.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jlu-4-door-sport-sahara-2-5-performance-spacer-lift-kit?vehicle=JLU%20Wrangler%20Unlimited

The install is something that 2 people can do in a weekend, you'll need your regular bunch of metric wrenches and sockets, torque wrench, 1 pair of 2.5ton+ jackstands, 1 floor jack.

·
Premium Member
Evo VIII, Xterra, BMW E12
2,542 Posts
Split the difference between RC and Mopar and you are looking at a Teraflex spacer lift with shock externsions at $435. It's a bit overpriced in my opinion but I will vouch for Teraflex' quality, R&D, support, and level of completeness in the kit.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jlu-4-door-sport-sahara-2-5-performance-spacer-lift-kit?vehicle=JLU%20Wrangler%20Unlimited

The install is something that 2 people can do in a weekend, you'll need your regular bunch of metric wrenches and sockets, torque wrench, 1 pair of 2.5ton+ jackstands, 1 floor jack.
The AEV kit looks like it comes with all the same parts except it comes with the speedo calibration tool

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-suspension-lift-jl-wrangler/

·
Registered
5,114 Posts

I was also considering the TF kit as well. I just looked like the same kit as the RC but double the price. I know TF has some good quality stuff but I feel like I'm just paying double for the name :confused:

The AEV kit looks like it comes with all the same parts except it comes with the speedo calibration tool

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-suspension-lift-jl-wrangler/
Wow, haven't seen this kit before and I'm a big fan of AEV. I might have to take a closer look at this one. Thanks. :beer:

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
:heart: You're going to love this at highway speed.

Throw a coil in there & check again because as the axle rotates through the travel the coil bows forward and you don't want it to touch sometimes (like mine does).

Crank the steering hard passenger and flex to full stuff passenger full droop driver the panhard will need a small bite taken out of the frame just forward of the passenger coil tower.

1921 - 1940 of 1959 Posts