VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The k04 is a topic which has been covered time and time again. Variants, strengths, weaknesses, and alternative options have become the proverbial dead horse.
Links to the common k04 topics are listed below. Please read through them, and if you're looking for more info on any of the topics please post in that existing thread.
If you have something new, post it in here.
All other k04 posts will be merged into existing threads or locked and pointed to this thread.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Re: The k04 thread (geoff16vII)

bumping this for some info:
Quote, originally posted by sirswank email »

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:28 AM
To: Main Email
Subject: B5 K04

Hi,
Do you currently have, or planning on offering, a K04 upgrade for the B5 platform Audi A4? You offer it for every other platform, B6, B7, and VW. We B5 owners feel neglected, and would like a mid-range upgrade option, not just having to choose between just software and exhaust, or the full stage 3 upgrade.
Thanks
Kedrick Swain.

Quote, originally posted by APR rep »

From: Greg Custer [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Main Email [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:36 AM
To: Kedrick Swain
Subject: RE: B5 K04

Kedrick,
Unfortunately we will probably not be offering a K04 upgrade for the B5 A4, sorry.

Greg Custer
Sales / Dealer Representative
Event Team Manager
APR, LLC. Phone: (800)680-7921
1027-B Opelika Rd Tech: (334)502-5181
Auburn, Al 36830 Fax: (334)502-5180

It's a shame, really. APR is usually so good at providing quality products. Is there really that small of a market for the B5's? They offer a K04 upgrade for the B6, B7, mk4, and mk5 platforms. pretty much everything else that came with a turbo.

Modified by sirswank at 8:43 AM 8/16/2007

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The k04 thread (sirswank)

Quote, originally posted by sirswank »

It's a shame, really. APR is usually so good at providing quality products. Is there really that small of a market for the B5's? They offer a K04 upgrade for the B6, B7, mk4, and mk5 platforms. pretty much everything else that came with a turbo.

x2. I can confirm I got the same email, and share the same feeling of annoyance and frustration that they seem to have stopped caring about the b5 world.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts
Re: The k04 thread (robbyb413)

so this may be a stupid question, but could you not buy the turbo for the b6 and get it tuned somewhere else, or is a software package youre after?

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You can get the k04 anywhere. It's about the software.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

oh, any reason not to go with GIAC, thats who id go with if and when i upgrade....any advantage to APR, or is it preference?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

I have the Borg Warner ko4-15 w/ GIAC J-31 file (race, stock, & chip) and I couldnt be happier, spiking at 26 psi (I know...slightly high, but it feels good), and all the possible bolt on's.
feel free to PM me questions, or even check out my car if you are local to southern NH! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote, originally posted by geoff16vII »
oh, any reason not to go with GIAC, thats who id go with if and when i upgrade....any advantage to APR, or is it preference?

Well, I have a 2001, so that's the reason to not go with GIAC. They didn't do a very good job getting around the MAP sensor, even according to their own vendors will tell you that. Unitronics used a different methodology and aparently is getting much more power.

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: The k04 thread (Euro-tuner)

Quote, originally posted by Euro-tuner »
I have the Borg Warner ko4-15 w/ GIAC J-31 file (race, stock, & chip) and I couldnt be happier, spiking at 26 psi

26?! I feel like I'm pushing it with 20.

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: The k04 thread (Harv)

Quote, originally posted by Harv »

26?! I feel like I'm pushing it with 20.

(ps check out the page that is from... freaking sweet resto project)

·
Banned
7,047 Posts

my only reason for going with APR is the fact that i already have their software and might be able to save a hundred bucks or so.
i contacted GIAC about the J-31 file... you spike at 26? any MBC installed to control that? sounds like that could kill your turbo pretty fast.
also ,what exhaust and IC are you using? they stress the need for a better intercooler over stock.
lastly, ever dyno? what numbers are you seeing?

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

see, this is my issue, i dont really want to(and wont have the luxury of being able to) spend alot of money on this, but when my turbo dies i want to ge k04. can it be done without a front mount, FPR, injectors, exhaust, etc.
im ok with having the software redone, but all those other things are huge expenses.

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote, originally posted by geoff16vII »
see, this is my issue, i dont really want to(and wont have the luxury of being able to) spend alot of money on this, but when my turbo dies i want to ge k04. can it be done without a front mount, FPR, injectors, exhaust, etc.
im ok with having the software redone, but all those other things are huge expenses.

Not really. Used injectors are like $150 to 200. 3 inch MAFs are in the $100 range. Not all the cars need the FPR (mine doesn't). EBAY FMICs are $250-300. It's just not much more.
Although, exhaust, well, you should be doing that anyway!

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

ya i know, i guess i dont really need that diecast then eh?

thanks for that info too, i guess its only a few hundred dollars plus exhaust, which, like you said, should be done anyway. the FMIC can wait, at least a little while i think.
*starts to save money*

Modified by geoff16vII at 3:50 PM 8-16-2007

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sirswank »
my only reason for going with APR is the fact that i already have their software and might be able to save a hundred bucks or so.
i contacted GIAC about the J-31 file... you spike at 26? any MBC installed to control that? sounds like that could kill your turbo pretty fast.
also ,what exhaust and IC are you using? they stress the need for a better intercooler over stock.
lastly, ever dyno? what numbers are you seeing?

I have yet to hit a dyno, I am really wanting to though. I have a Milltek resonated exhaust, Racetec FMIC, and I am in the market for an electronic boost controller. hope that helps.
I also am running a Euro-Spec Adjustable FPR cranked to 5 bar (what the software calls for)

·
Banned
5,429 Posts
Re: The k04 thread (Euro-tuner)

i just thought id throw this link up, its from GIAC(which i know some of you guys dont want to use), but it lists some supporting mods. i would have thrown it in that thread, but i didnt want to bump it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=170

Modified by geoff16vII at 9:30 AM 8-17-2007

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That's the support specs for the hammer file, not general k04 supporting mods.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts