VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 251 Posts

· Registered
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Wasn't my house. Lady was pretty calm considering.

Car is out, amazingly unhurt outside of a few minor small scratches to the bumper and a dent in the lower bumper lip. Considering it is plastic, I very well might be able to pop it out.

I stopped for 'lunch' to calm down and then proceeded on to the next customer.

All is fine.

:thumbup:

· Registered
18,728 Posts
Also in gear with no ebrake when parking? :banghead:
lol wut. That's how most people who drive manual park. That is literally the only way that I park, anywhere, unless I'm on a very steep hill (then I do both) but this guys driveway isn't what I would call steep. I trust my transmission to hold my vehicle in place way more than a cable operated brake.

· Registered
99,786 Posts
lol wut. That's how most people who drive manual park. That is literally the only way that I park, anywhere, unless I'm on a very steep hill (then I do both) but this guys driveway isn't what I would call steep. I trust my transmission to hold my vehicle in place way more than a cable operated brake.
If you use the parking brake regularly, it works...
Not using it ever means when you try to use it... no worky.
People in tight hilly cities park in neutral with parking brake and tire turned toward curb so if somebody bumps the car.. the tranny is not damaged.

· Registered
18,728 Posts
If you use the parking brake regularly, it works...
Not using it ever means when you try to use it... no worky.
People in tight hilly cities park in neutral with parking brake and tire turned toward curb so if somebody bumps the car.. the tranny is not damaged.
My parking brake works perfectly fine, I just don't use it much at all. I also never park on the street in hilly cities, so :beer: Never worried about somebody bumping my vehicle and damaging the tranny before.

· Registered
6,642 Posts

When I drive manual I put it in gear and put the brake on, every time. Why even take it to chance?

What if someone bumps your car and starts it rolling? What if you aren't on an incline 'worth setting the brake for' and it starts rolling like the OP?

:screwy:

· Registered
18,728 Posts
When I drive manual I put it in gear and put the brake on, every time. Why even take it to chance?

What if someone bumps your car and starts it rolling? What if you aren't on an incline 'worth setting the brake for' and it starts rolling like the OP?

:screwy:
Why would it just pop out of gear by itself? Anytime I've seen an OP style situation, it's the owner leaving it in neutral by accident. Parking a vehicle in gear is a perfectly normal and adequate safeguard. If somebody hits my vehicle and it pops out of gear and rolls then that's on their shoulders, not mine. I don't stress about it.

It's like getting a vasectomy and still asking your girlfriend to be on the pill.

· Banned
20,579 Posts
Why would it just pop out of gear by itself? Anytime I've seen an OP style situation, it's the owner leaving it in neutral by accident. Parking a vehicle in gear is a perfectly normal and adequate safeguard. If somebody hits my vehicle and it pops out of gear and rolls then that's on their shoulders, not mine. I don't stress about it.

It's like getting a vasectomy and still asking your girlfriend to be on the pill.
I live in Texas and even I keep it in gear with the parking brake.

· Registered
46,328 Posts

because just leaving it in gear puts strain on the transmission, especially if youre on a hill. the entire weight of the car is being held in place by the transmission

· Registered
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
because just leaving it in gear puts strain on the transmission, especially if youre on a hill. the entire weight of the car is being held in place by the transmission

And?

Do you really think the stationary weight of the car pressed against the non moving driveline is more force than a spirited start from a red light WOT?

I assure you, it isn't even close.

181 - 200 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.