VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time dreamer/lurker finally taking the plunge.

You've all seen this before, so I'll skip the long intro about me. I'm boring anyway. I hope I can stay up on this.

'81 Rabbit Truck. It's rather krusty. Had 89k on the odometer when I picked it up. The p.o. said it had a blown head gasket and it sure did. The block is covered in grime. He also said there was some rust and I expected some, but it's worse than I thought. Am I crazy for taking this on? Guess time will tell.

On to the pictures.

The truck

Started the tear down

Starting to see the rust....

Got it in my tiny garage

More tear down and starting to see some bad structural rust...

[/URL

Sorry its blurry... but it is what I didn't want to see... LOTS of patching... :facepalm:

and the inside...

Got the drive train out. Just a touch of dirt...

Insides...

Then I had to pick up another truck. Was a diesel, but the p.o. said the belt snapped and the head was toast. He picked up a gas cabby and swapped the motor, some interior bits, and three cabby wheels. He lost one in a field... Its a good motor. Just too bad he didn't get another diesel lump. It has a lot less rust in the key spots.

And it came with this:thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some more work today. And found more rust. :( Is it worth saving? I think so but it's gonna take a while. What's your opinion vortex?

Thinking of just getting these... worth the monies? Already have floor pans and a rocker panel.

New inner fender passenger

New inner fender driver

Cross member

If you look closely at the front of the frame rail, you can tell it had a small fender bender...

·
Registered
334 Posts
The amount of time and effort it will take to cure those rust issues could turn that caddy into a trailer for another caddy. I wouldn't spend the time, money, and effort to fix that amount of rust.

If you want a caddy that bad, keep an eye out because there are nice ones out there.

Pete

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too much rust, not really worth it to me. Would need an entire new front clip, especially considering that it had been in an accident at some point. How does the blue one look?
The blue one has the typical rust but nothing too bad. I haven't really given it much of a look since I picked it up second. I'll be diving into it once it warms up here. I loved the patina/p.o.s. look of the grey truck. The blue is brushed on Rustoleum... its fugly. I was really trying to stay away from paint. Such a money/time intensive task.

kdeboer
Save yourself a lot of time, buy these:​
If you look at my second post I linked those...

NOS85GTI
The amount of time and effort it will take to cure those rust issues could turn that caddy into a trailer for another caddy. I wouldn't spend the time, money, and effort to fix that amount of rust.

If you want a caddy that bad, keep an eye out because there are nice ones out there.

Pete​
Yea I wish I would have waited a bit... I see so many for under 2k with very little rust. Oh well...

·
Banned
594 Posts
if you do cut up the truck to make anything out of it (trailer or what not), save the pics and this thread as proof of getting the OK from VORTEX.

its getting pretty rough around here. better to cover your ass from getting hated on :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
any idea what's underneath the brushed on rustoleum? if they didn't prep right, you might be able to use oven cleaner and remove just the blue...
Yea it's Alpine White but it looks like the p.o. bought some doors that look to be Tarpon Blue Metallic. I might try that trick but he was a handy man so I'm a little scared that he did prep it right. Or it could be the exact opposite. :laugh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you do cut up the truck to make anything out of it (trailer or what not), save the pics and this thread as proof of getting the OK from VORTEX.

its getting pretty rough around here. better to cover your ass from getting hated on :)

Oh bring the haters. Haters gonna hate...

I'm gonna find a home for the silver truck to store it and then tear the blue/white truck apart and see what I find. I know the lump is much better but if I could get it back to a diesel it's what I really would like to do.

Dreamers gonna dream...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

I finally took the glass out and some of the odds and ends that I had just lost motivation to pull earlier.

The big change is that the truck is now back outside. I found a good solid, yet cheap DIY for a body cart here. I think I ended up spending something like 150 because I didn't have any castors that could handle the load. I'll get better pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Micro, I saw your thread. I'm gonna be crazy and dive in. I'll probably be asking you more than a few questions.

I started drilling out spot welds tonight. I'll probably have more than a few days drilling. The K member is solid so I want to avoid making more structural cuts than I have to. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, although there isn't much to see.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
a good friend of mine has got a complete late westy front clip. pretty much from the a pillar forward. it's from an old rabbit of mine and last i recall condition was great. would be a good piece to cut donor metal from/replace like micro. i'm approx 8 hours from you. shoot me a pm if you're at all interested :beer:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
a good friend of mine has got a complete late westy front clip. pretty much from the a pillar forward. it's from an old rabbit of mine and last i recall condition was great. would be a good piece to cut donor metal from/replace like micro. i'm approx 8 hours from you. shoot me a pm if you're at all interested :beer:
I sent you a PM. I'm interested

GREAT NEWS last 2 post.

Look forward to seeing the progress. Feel free to PM me any question you may have.
Once I get more into it I'll for sure have questions. Just still working on drilling out the million spot welds. Gotta get a few more bits.

I'm searching for a front clip. Sad thing is there's an old guy here in town that has a VW shop and theres a VW bone yard on the south side of town. BUT I CAN'T GET AHOLD OF ANYONE AT EITHER PLACE!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Making slow progress. It's been stormy and cold here the last week. Gonna get some sheet and do some grinding and welding on the worst of the rust spots that are potential issues in the future. There's only a few small spots where the camper shell attached. They did a sh*t job with the waterproofing.

I'm also searching for a wiring harness for the blue truck. I'm planning on fixing it too and giving it to my girl. She's cool like that. :laugh: So if anyone has one laying around I'm probably interested.

Hopefully some pictures later today.

vag.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.