VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
OH HOLY CRAP... i created an account just to comment on this thread when i found it off google.....

PROJECT GEO

im a major fan of the unconventional... thats why i did my budget build... kudos to you all!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'll just leave this here. 'cause the PNW knows how to do it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
So sad I missed it too. I had to cover work for my boss or I would have been mud drifting along with 'em.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Here is one from the rally this weekend, new rear suspension worked awesome, this is with 300# of tools and spare parts in the trunk, and I hauled 3 people! Spring rate is a bit much when not fully loaded so I'm gonna try a few other sets to find the right balance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Theres never any Toyota Tercels on these threads:(, so here is mine.
Thanks I just put on the tires. They are General Grabbers AT2 27x8.5R14. I never measured it stock but I'd bet 4-5" lift.

Stock photo from last winter.
I had an 84 Tercel 4WD with the 6-speed manual. I loved that car, one of many I kick myself for selling...

So many subarus...

Threads like this are pretty much why I bought a basketcase 88 GL wagon (and a donor RX turbo), but lack of time was why I let them go a couple of years later...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Here is one from the rally this weekend, new rear suspension worked awesome, this is with 300# of tools and spare parts in the trunk, and I hauled 3 people! Spring rate is a bit much when not fully loaded so I'm gonna try a few other sets to find the right balance.
Looking good. :thumbup::thumbup:

I need to sack up and lift my new Golf TDI. It's one of the things that I miss the most about the B5 wagon that I had.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Looking good. :thumbup::thumbup:

I need to sack up and lift my new Golf TDI. It's one of the things that I miss the most about the B5 wagon that I had.
I'm gonna just leave this here...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've been through that thread a few times and it was one of the reasons that I bought the car that I did. I knew it was possible. I'm not going to go as far as he did. The biggest issue that I'm wrestling with is that I really like the fuel economy of my TDI and I don't want to lose it (~42 mpg) by going higher and the Golf TDIs come with the same sport suspension as the GTIs and it's been a blast to drive, I just need to get a few trail heads here and there. Air bags?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've been through that thread a few times and it was one of the reasons that I bought the car that I did. I knew it was possible. I'm not going to go as far as he did. The biggest issue that I'm wrestling with is that I really like the fuel economy of my TDI and I don't want to lose it (~42 mpg) by going higher and the Golf TDIs come with the same sport suspension as the GTIs and it's been a blast to drive, I just need to get a few trail heads here and there. Air bags?
I only dropped like ~2 mpg, with the lift and the twice as heavy wheel and tire combo. And I didnt notice a difference which the initial lift.

So lift your Golf! :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I remembered reading how you did it, I'll skip the 1" spacer since I don't need to go as high as you did. Any reason not to do the Tig shocks in the rear? You had to do some fab work to fit the BDS shocks didn't you?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I remembered reading how you did it, I'll skip the 1" spacer since I don't need to go as high as you did. Any reason not to do the Tig shocks in the rear? You had to do some fab work to fit the BDS shocks didn't you?
No fab work to make the bds shocks fit. Just measured the sprung height and called the local 4x4 shop and asked for a shock with that as a midrange and for a shock with a eye/post setup.

I imagine the tig shocks would work, its all based on the same platform. I just didnt try those. The BDS shocks are stiff and will take a beating.... and only like $30 a piece.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So cruised over here from the vw forums and with things like this i may become a convert anyone link me to a build thread! Oh yea my apologies for resurrecting the dead thread

81 - 100 of 104 Posts