VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the limo isn't in the best shape mechanically. besides the 160k tired '85 8v w/ 3 speed automatic, the rear control arm bolt on the right front decided to pop out during waterfest (the threads on the crossmember are stripped out). i drove it back like that, but haven't been rocking the car much since then, for obvious reasons. also the car needs power steering rack boots, and a few other things, including a bad right rear motor mount.
so...found a front clip chopped off a 16v golf that some guy wrecked, the whole thing for $200. figured...swap the motor, swap the mounts, swap the crossmember, power steering rack, etc... put on some 10.1's from a '97 jetta my friend dave is donating, and do a 5 speed swap with some parts donated from Hot Lunch (may it rest in peace/pieces).
we got started tonight...first assembled the new engine hoist i bought today, then started tearing apart the 16v. we've got all the wiring out from through the firewall, ECU and knock box and wiring out, coolant hoses disconnected, axles unbolted, etc... we should be pretty much ready to hoist the motor out tomorrow morning when i get back there and disconnect a couple more things.
a few pics from tonight:
the ghetto spread

the limo

vegasjetta's influence at work

ahhhhh hot lunch. how i miss thee

the new engine hoist, forgot to take an assembled pic

late nights at the garage, brought to you by Sparks (TM)

gettin there

wiring w/ labels

where we left off tonight

then got home and turned on HBO before falling asleep...and turned it on right to a chase scene in "the man with two brains" (old steve martin movie) in germany w/ two cops in a 4 door rabbit

good times. updates to come. btw, all this stuff has to get done before h2o, then the car needs to get inspected...before we leave on the 23rd.

· Registered
10,609 Posts
cant wait for the next installment

· Registered
5,766 Posts
I'm still happy the limo went to a respectable Mk2 fanatic. Look forward to the progress, and you should start a big interior project thread. That interior can be tastefully pimped SOOO badly. I saw the Pimp My Ride last night with the VW hippymobile, and aside from the colour-scheme, the interior was pretty sweet. I loved the wood and the smoothie maker.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (16v ROCKET)

Quote, originally posted by 16v ROCKET »
This limo project is getting alot of Attention Ben, wait till you tell them about the w12 swap w/ 4 motion.

Modified by 16v ROCKET at 9:10 AM 9-11-2005

don't forget the 5th drive wheel that kicks in at WOT.
the car is definitely going to be a manual, i know it might seem weird in a limo, but i can't stand the car being a 3 speed automatic. plus the mk2 and mk3 auto shift gates look like crap in the interior of the car once i do end up doing the interior up...
the interior is going to have to wait, i don't have the money yet- i don't want to do anything major on this car until my wife and i have the money to do it right. the 16v is a temporary fix to kill many birds with one stone, and for $200, i couldn't resist. going from 85 to 123 horsepower and 3 gears to 5 is going to be nuts in this car.
still waiting for the right TDI or VR6 donor to swap in...but all i can do right now is get the car back in driving shape for shows and occasional drives around town.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: the limo motor swap begins (ny initial d 84)

Quote, originally posted by ny initial d 84 »
Sparxx is the shizzzzzz
How much did that engine hoist run you?

$179 + tax at the local welding supply store. probably similar to the harbor freight model, but it's reasonably beefy and for volkswagen motors will be overkill. i'll take assembled pics today.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: the limo motor swap begins (mynameisphunk)

limo isn't going to be at h2o unless someone tows it there for me. both engines are out, but the plot keeps thickening for the swap into the limo, it's definitely not happening in that amount of time.
still going to try to get the coupe drivable to h2o so we have a mk2 to rock...we'll see!
thanks for all the support, the limo will just have to be a winter project (which it was going to be anyway).

· Registered
2,324 Posts
Re: the limo motor swap begins (mynameisphunk)

my god manhandling that damn 3spd out of the limo was a pain in the a$$ becuase of the bulkiness. anyway yea next year u guys will see a pimpin limo, if i have anyhting to do with it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.