VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,299 Posts
It reminded me of an old samurai film...
The whole ep is a nod to The Seven Samurai. Professional badasses defending a town of innocent villagers against an aggressor.

It’s story structure that Star Trek, Firefly, and countless other shows have homaged.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
so he used his Frozen clout?? :confused:
Generic Disney clout, I think -- he's a professed SW superfan and they've used him for Star Wars PR on other occasions. He pimped Galaxy's Edge in early previews, did a whole thing with Daisy Ridley on Instagram before TLJ while she was shooting that other movie she was in, etc.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What did everybody think of Ep. 5?

This episode seems to have had one of the more divided reactions among fans...

·
Senior Sloth
2,695 Posts

Kind of a meh episode for me. But I did love seeing Amy Sedaris :heart::thumbup:

·
Senior Sloth
2,695 Posts
Between her and the rookie, this episode had some of the worst acting I have seen in quite a while. :(
Yeah, the rookie's acting was terrible. I'm not why a top tier company can't get better casting from their departments.

·
Premium Member
36,299 Posts
Honestly, I didn't love this episode. I'm not sure how it furthered the story in any way. They setup Ming Na's character as the is badass fighter then she's just gone. The "rookie" was another lame character whos beginning and end bring nothing to the story. Amy Sedaris's character was funny but just sort of took me out of everything, the whole tone didn't fit with the earlier part of the show.

The return to Tattooine and the little annoying droids were great but other than that, kind of a wasted ep IMO.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts

Kinda meh, but certainly watchable.

I can forgive the somewhat poor acting.
Hell, Mark Hamill was given a pass for how long & he's a lead character.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Same here, to all of the above. Seemed like a misfire, to me, and I had the same reaction to the acting. It just seemed ... off, somehow.

I love easter eggs, and callbacks, and nostalgia and all that, but it seems like, man, if you're going to go THERE, there really needs to be a hell of a payoff, right?

I tell you, the first reaction I had after the show ended was they have all the nostalgia because if you take it away, the rest of the show just collapses. All of those callbacks, etc. feel like training wheels to me. (and I know that's a big criticism some have of the new trilogy too)

I know it must take huge effort to make a show that looks like Star Wars, but if you take all the Kowakian monkey lizards away, you still need a good story, with characters you care about, who are saying lines you believe, with conflict and tension and relatable motivations, etc. They got all the dewbacks, speeder bikes, the cantina set, the Mos Eisley exteriors, etc. right, and kind of left everything else as an afterthought.

I still love it and I'll watch the sh!t out of it, but man, I wish this one was better. Keeping hope alive :beer:

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
p.s. Watched it again last night and had a couple of other thoughts:

First, it was a little better for me the second time. Mando shooting the pit droids = :thumbup:

I think Amy Sedaris and the young bounty hunter dude were either miscast or badly directed (sorry, Dave). They really take you out of the story. I thought Ming-Na was fine (except, ya know, she didn't do much). I got the same vibe from them that I did the bartender/pub lady in Ep. 4.

How did Mando & the young bounty hunter think they were going to get Fennec Shand back with just the two speeder bikes between them? It's only after they capture her and get back to the bikes that they think, durr, we should've brought a minivan? Running into a stray dewback to provide alt-transport doesn't seem something you should plan on.

Thinking about the payoff for this setting, I'm guessing it's because of the character who shows up in the last scene, assuming he is who we think he is.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
p.s. Watched it again last night and had a couple of other thoughts:

First, it was a little better for me the second time. Mando shooting the pit droids = :thumbup:

I think Amy Sedaris and the young bounty hunter dude were either miscast or badly directed (sorry, Dave). They really take you out of the story. I thought Ming-Na was fine (except, ya know, she didn't do much). I got the same vibe from them that I did the bartender/pub lady in Ep. 4.

How did Mando & the young bounty hunter think they were going to get Fennec Shand back with just the two speeder bikes between them? It's only after they capture her and get back to the bikes that they think, durr, we should've brought a minivan? Running into a stray dewback to provide alt-transport doesn't seem something you should plan on.

Thinking about the payoff for this setting, I'm guessing it's because of the character who shows up in the last scene, assuming he is who we think he is.
who do we think he is? I'm torn between two possibilities.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
who do we think he is? I'm torn between two possibilities.
Not sure if we're spoiler-safe on this, so highlight to be safe --

Because of the setting on Tatooine, and the spurs I think it's either Boba Fett, or someone who is wearing his armor, since the finding of his armor was teased in one of the Aftermath books, IIRC.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Another thing that bothers me is that we keep getting introduced to all of these characters who's story's seem to go nowhere. Normally in a series, you jump around and have scenes away from your major character. I wish we had some scenes that showed the aftermath of Mando stealing back Toyoda and explaining what they were doing with him (cloning?). The first person story telling is just getting a little stale and I want to know what else these characters are up to.

Also, the music is killing me in some scenes. I'm sure they are going for some cheese, but it's a bit much.

·
Premium Member
36,299 Posts
How did the ep look to you guys? I watched it at a buddy's house and his TV makes everything look fake (he doesn't see it, I can't unsee it), so I think it took me out of any visual enjoyment. I'll rewatch on my tv soon (it's older, but doesn't have this soap opera effect).

I suspect that last character is the reason for the whole thing as well, and I assume it's (spoiler)--> Bill Burr's character.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Another thing that bothers me is that we keep getting introduced to all of these characters who's story's seem to go nowhere. Normally in a series, you jump around and have scenes away from your major character. I wish we had some scenes that showed the aftermath of Mando stealing back Toyoda and explaining what they were doing with him (cloning?). The first person story telling is just getting a little stale and I want to know what else these characters are up to.

Also, the music is killing me in some scenes. I'm sure they are going for some cheese, but it's a bit much.
yeah, I wasn't expecting the show to take the procedural route. I assumed the characters we meet would be longer for the ride but it seems like we are getting only one episode and moving on. Unless they plan on using fan favorites in future SW series or movies, I personally don't mind it only because it allows for a bit of variety.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts