VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
I don't mind him removing the helmet. The rest of the Mandos this season have no problem with it and they said he's part of an extremist cult. But I do have a hard time figuring out why the computer terminal required a face ID to allow use - literally any face will do apparently, doesn't need to be an Imperial officer. I'm sure it was only done to advance a future plot point when Gideon figures out who he is.
I took it as it just had to be someone that the system wouldn't recognize as "wanted". Doesn't really make sense at all, but neither do lots of things in the SW universe.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,285 Posts
Only thing I feel should have been done differently is showing Mando's face. Even when it happened in season 1, I feel it would have worked better for the audience to not see his face even though he took the helmet off. Just have the camera showing him from rear angles. Done that way only two people would have seen him without the helmet. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE LOL. Kinda ruins some of the mandolorian mystique.
I agree, it felt anti-climactic, esspecially because of this, below, which I also agree with.

I don't mind him removing the helmet. The rest of the Mandos this season have no problem with it and they said he's part of an extremist cult. But I do have a hard time figuring out why the computer terminal required a face ID to allow use - literally any face will do apparently, doesn't need to be an Imperial officer. I'm sure it was only done to advance a future plot point when Gideon figures out who he is.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think it was mainly done to show that he is willing to bend his own rules (removing the helmet) in order to save the child and that he is also coming to terms with the idea that "the way" isn't the only way to be a Madalorian.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
One if the best damn 40 minutes of TV that I can recall. Freaking awesome.
The whole young Yoda, young Luke timeline is a little confusing to a non-comic Star Wars fan. Anyone want to comment on that?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
One if the best damn 40 minutes of TV that I can recall. Freaking awesome.
The whole young Yoda, young Luke timeline is a little confusing to a non-comic Star Wars fan. Anyone want to comment on that?
The Mandalorian takes place 5 years after the Battle of Endor. Luke would have been 27. The Child is not related to Yoda. The Sequel Trilogy took place 30 years after the Battle of Endor.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
That was way too predictable. I called Luke Skywalker as soon as the squadron of evil Iron Man robots showed up.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,285 Posts
And what Jedi, from canon, were you expecting to show up??
I had no idea. The green saber and look said LUKE but I dismissed it because I assumed they wouldn’t use and of the major movie trilogy characters.

I expected it to be another Clone Wars cartoon character (that I don’t know because I haven’t watched it).

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
How do you do a season 3? The attraction was the baby Yoda space western.
The reclamation of Mandalore. Battle against Grand Admiral Thrawn. Any of the "non-canon" stories in the books that are slowly becoming canon again.

Oh, did everyone stay until after the credits? That was a big hint on the either the direction of the show, or the 3rd series to be launched.

I had no idea. The green saber and look said LUKE but I dismissed it because I assumed they wouldn’t use and of the major movie trilogy characters.

I expected it to be another Clone Wars cartoon character (that I don’t know because I haven’t watched it).
A lot of people thought it would be Mace Windu.
When the X-wing appeared I thought Ahsoka. But once the figure launched the lightsaber I knew it was Luke. They did an OK job on the CG. The voice sounded off, like if Mark really did do this role, they dialed all the low-end out of his voice.

RE: the helmet taking off at the end: In addition to Mando thinking he's not part of some mindless cult, it also harkens back to ROTJ when Vader wants to see Luke with his own eyes. The human connection.

·
17,761 Posts
Would you believe that there are lots of "fans" that hated it? Too violent, a certain character wasn't like how they were in the comics etc...:rolleyes:
"Fans" hate a lot of these things because they are uber fans. They've watched all the movies repeatedly. They've dog-eared all the books and have their favorite characters. They read fanfic and spend hours on message boards arguing and defending things.

In short - the uber fans have defined and developed their own Star Wars Universe, and everyone has a different one.

So when new content is created that doesn't meet their expectation of what should happen (according to their years of internet s**tposting), and goes in a different direction, they get all butthurt.

I never read many comic books, but growing up I watched a lot of cartoons, so I was familiar enough with the Avengers. I love the Avengers movies. Because I have no 20-30year backlog of information and sources and own stories I've cooked up.

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,086 Posts
^^^All of this

Re the end credits, yeah. I guess it will be a character continuation so that his "sidekick" can be in it. We're also getting an Ahsoka spinoff.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,652 Posts
A lot of people thought it would be Mace Windu.
Windu made no sense... Not only is he dead, he would be like 80 if he was alive.

I would have thrown the controller through the TV if they brought him back.

Skywalker is the only one that worked. They couldn't bring in Katarn, Kestis, Kardde or any other 'Jedi' that would require a bunch of explanation.

·
17,761 Posts
Windu made no sense... Not only is he dead, he would be like 80 if he was alive.

I would have thrown the controller through the TV if they brought him back.

Skywalker is the only one that worked. They couldn't bring in Katarn, Kestis, Kardde or any other 'Jedi' that would require a bunch of explanation.
They did just drop Ahsoka in one episode w/o explanation. It wasn't until the end of the episode that it was a universe-building (and bringing non-canon into canon) purposes.

And yes, I'm a little pissed that they (KK) dismissed 30 years of universe building, likely for the express reason of avoiding paying the authors the rights for a new multi-billion-dollar franchise.

If I was Timothy Zahn: "Sure, take my story. I just want .5% of all Star Wars gross revenue from movies, residuals, and licensing directly related to this story." What's $20m out of a potentially $4B+ franchise?

The movies already grossed $1B+ in the theaters, so that only leaves $1B to be pulled in by rentals, DVD/BR sales, books, toys, games, clothing, Disney attractions, etc.

They should just rename LucasFilm to LucrativeFilm.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,652 Posts
At least Ahsoka had 7 seasons of like 130 episodes of back story.... The ones I mentioned were in a video game or two at the most.

The Extended Universe was great for what it was. That said, it really needed a gatekeeper or someone to keep track of just wtf was going on. I'm no fan of KK dumping it, but at the same time to turn the disparate comics, books, videogames, RPGs, CCG, etc. into canon would have just been a mess. I hope that Filoni and Favreau continue to bring back the good stuff.

·
17,761 Posts
I got the Artwork of The Mandalorian book for Christmas. Pretty stoked. It's pretty thick for just covering Season 1. It'll go nicely with my Star Wars Blueprints book I got a few years ago.

I got my wife an AT-AT LEGO; she was damn excited for that.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts